2003 Toyota Highlander

Toyotas are the best

by from Crawfordville, FL on February 28, 2012

This is our third Toyota and before that we had Honda's. I wish the American auto makers could make a good used vehicle that was just as reliable as a Toyota. And one that we could afford to get into.

Great all around car

by from Indiana on February 22, 2011

Very versitile, great space, very good milage. I have 125,000 miles on it and just had the brakes done for the first time, have never replaced the spark plugs. Still runs great, super car.

Love Toyota products

by from Lancaster, PA on February 10, 2013

The Highlander has more creature comforts than a 4runner that I had before. I sold my 4Runner with 281,000 miles on so if this does nearly as well, I'll be ahead of the game.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best Vehicle I've ever had!

by from Baton Rouge, La. on July 24, 2011

The 2003 Highlander is AWESOME! It's Great on gas and has a 4 star safety rating! This is THE BEST VEHICLE I'VE EVER OWNED!!!!!!!!

3 Months with a Highlander

by from Philadelphia, PA on October 22, 2015

Wife was in a wreck with our last car so we bought this 2003 Highlander at a Toyota dealer near us and have not yet been disappointed. It's a very sturdy, reliable car. The original Highlander was built on the Camry wheelbase, so I wasn't expecting a heavy duty SUV experience; it's more of a cruiser/family sedan driving experience. But we have a baby on the way and this fits the bill perfectly. In my opinion, the look of the car is a little drab, but the late '90s/ early '00s featured a more utilitarian look from Toyota, so this isn't surprising. Obviously, the newer models are much more eye-catching. But the reliability and simplicity in function are still there. It's a great car.

Love my 2003 Highlander Limited

by from San Jose, CA on July 4, 2015

I am a very satisfied customer. This car has to be one of the top five (5) smartest purchases of my life. After more than 195,000 miles this car just keeps on going. Sure, it's had its typical repairs: timing belts = twice, new brake pads = twice, A/C = twice, cleaning of the throttle body = twice, and new spark plugs ($600 for all, ouch) = once. But after 14 years it runs amazingly well. It is so smooth. It still has great get-up-and-go, and the gas mileage hasn't lost any of its frugality. And believe-you-me, I gave it some abuse. For example, I had to run almost a year before and oil change (life was too busy, in-between jobs, etc.). And I am embarrassed that I let the engine oil level fall to the last line on the stick. But I share these dumb events because I think it makes the car look more attractive because it runs like it is only a year old. So that's my story - I love my 2003 Highlander Limited.

best vehicle ever

by from toledo oh on March 21, 2016

best vehicle I have EVER owned! i bought it when it had 92,000 miles on it and i now have 198,000 thousand miles on it and it hasnt givin me a lick of a problem ...best money ive spent on a car ever...
best vehicle I have EVER owned! i bought it when it had 92,000 miles on it and i now have 198,000 thousand miles on it and it hasnt givin me a lick of a problem ...best money ive spent on a car ever!!!

Best used SUV all round

by from eastern PA on February 13, 2012

I landed in the US from the UK in December and had to buy a car in a hurry. I had a limited budget and wanted a 4 wheel drive due to the winter conditions found here and an SUV seemed the best choice with children and a dog. I was going to buy a Jeep but the Consumer Reports were so bad and my friends advised me to look at Consumer Reports to trace the reliability over the years of SUV models. The only SUVs with an almost perfect reliability record were Toyotas. Having sworn never to buy a Japanese car (nothing to do with WWII just a dislike of the gimmicks and especially the switches) I was pleased to find this Highlander mid range. High mileage but one owner and garaged it looks years younger than 2003 and it had only been in the dealer's lot for a week. I drove it, asked for a couple of things to be done (tracking / whee alignment) and have driven it a few thousand miles since. The engine is a V6 4 cam OHV with VVT and as it is not the top of the range will miss the electrical complications. I rented a brand new Jeep last week on business and honestly think the Toyta has less body roll. It is quick enough (who needs a fast car in a country with a 55 mph speed limit?). The body is solid, not one rattle despite being over 145,000 miles. The car has a moon roof, auto garage door opener synch, overdirve, winter mode on the transmission. Silent as a whisper when idling and responsive when needed. I thoroughly like it and have driven Land Rovers and other SUV models previously. I would buy a new one but probably go for the Land Cruiser. Value for money 9/10.

Great

by from Scottsdale Az on November 22, 2008

Our family has had the Mercedes, BMW/s, Cadillacs, Lincoln,s and a Porsche. Also we have owned two Tahoes. This is the most solid and dependable car we have ever owned. Wouls highly recommed.

best vehicl I owned

by from fargo on August 14, 2006

quiet and soft riding like a car, yet great on ice and snow I would recommend this vehicle to any toyota lover or family with 2 children in the north country that needs the all wheel drive in an SUV. very reliable and well worth the money compared to many other vehicles. Compare the book price on this vehicle to an American made vehicle older vehicle the same year.

Our Expert Review: 2003 Toyota Highlander