2006 Highlander

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

Good Small SUV

by Texas Guy from N. Texas on June 15, 2010

This SUV is a good compromise between big car features and decent mileage. We're getting about 21 mpg. It is a little rough handling - a little more like a truck than my former Camry. I gave us some gas mileage, but I like the visibility and handling. My local garage rates this as one of the most reliable vehicles on the highway, so that's primarily why I ending up getting it.

The best car I ever owned

by lover of reliability from Albuquerque, NM on March 28, 2010

I have 130,000 miles on my car and it has NEVER been in a shop except to change oil and air filter and new tires. I replaced the brakes at 110,000 miles - unbelievable! True, most of my miles are on the highway. Had a Volkswagen once - constantly in a shop and with 50,000 it needed a $3,000 repair job - never again!

Baby boomers delight

by Highlander Tracker from Richmond, VA on March 5, 2012

The price was right!!!This vehicle is a delight, clean interior, no dents exterior, new tires and just an overall well maintained vehicle. The ride is smooth, the look is new. There are still people who take pride in keeping their vehicles maintained and serviced.

Meets All My Requirements

by Picky Shopper from Arkansas on June 4, 2008

This is my first purchase of a new vehicle. Future family plans (space), my love of the outdoors (ruggedness), reliability, and the fact that most of my driving is actually on pavement (better fuel economy than a 4-Runner) played a role in choosing the Highlander. After a bunch of research, I bought the V-6, AWD 2 years ago and have had no issues. It's quiet, even on the interstate. I live about a mile down a rugged dirt road that is steep and floods, so the Hybrid is not an option for me. The one I bought does well in the above conditions. The suspension will pick up and keep rocks, but they're easy to remove with a wash. My Highlander does impressively well on the ice and snow. The back seat area is huge compared to most other vehicles. The seats are comfortable and adjustable. Given the amount of volume, I am surprised by the lack of climate control in the back seats. Gas mileage is around 18mph under unconservative driving behavior. However, I've recently learned that at 60mph on the highway with the cruise control set and being gentle on the starts and stops, I can get over 20mpg. That leaves much to be desired as gas prices spike, but I knew that was a possibility. I bought this with the intention of keeping it until it quits running. So far, I'm more than pleased with a purchase I may be with for many, many years.

Excellent vehicle

by Auto Mech from BC, Canada on March 15, 2008

Bought our Highlander 4WD Base Model three months ago. Family of six and we love it. Excellent in the bush and on the highway.Quiet and comfortable. Highly recommend this vehicle

A Hybrid for the Mountains (and the plains)

by A Hybrid Advocate from The Rocky Mountains of Colorado on June 13, 2006

I have a house at 8500 feet in the Rocky Mountains, accessible only on an unpaved road. Therefore, I must have a 4WD, but I also want the low emissions and reasonably good mpg of a hybrid. The Highlander is a great solution and surprised me with its power and pep in navigating the steep mountain roads. It also delivers extremely well on comfort, handling, and reliability. A perfect choice for me, and I recommend it highly.

Hybrid

by Hybrid crazy from PA on June 25, 2006

I own the hybrid version and I was very happy with the power along with the gas milage I've seen. I own the all wheel version so my milage runs about 25 highway and 28 city. Not bad for 268 hp suv. As for the reliability, come on, its a Toyota!

Sleek, Comfortable & Dependable

by Angellanda from Columbia,SC on July 21, 2017

I have owned this for several years and am continuously pleased by how well it's performance and how well it handles, both in the city and on the highway. I've only had one mechanical issue which was quickly fixed by replacing the starter. It's dependably taken our family on many vacations and can comfortably seat several adults (love my 3rd row seat).

Amazing 06 Highlander Hybrid

by Amazing 06 Highlander Hybrid from Auburn, WA on October 24, 2017

Awesome Hybrid SUV and the very best most reliable car I've ever owned. I use this car for a daily driver and also to tow small camping trailer under 3500 lbs. It's been a great tow vehicle!! This car has 184k on it and has never had any significant problems. I keep it maintained and do the recommended services.

Beautiful SUV

by myabinghi from Lake Com, NJ on May 10, 2017

This vehicle is an amazing choice for the perfect size SUV in my opinion. The interior is spacious and comfortable combined with the smooth handling make you feel like your driving a smooth riding sedan. Great reliability and a safe choice for a family car.

1 2 3 4