2004 Toyota Matrix

The most reliable car I have owned

by on August 17, 2017

This car has been amazing and I am sad to let it go. It is great for moving and camping too. With the back seats down its like having pickup. I purchased it in SC in 2005 and then moved to AZ and CA before OH in 2011 so it has not been weathering the salty winers for too long.

Awesome until my transmission went

by from Charleston SC on July 18, 2017

Very affordable, ran well until 115000miles and my transmission started to go. Easy to fix and lasted a good while! Good gas mileage for road trips.

A very good car.

by from Warri on July 13, 2017

The car is a good one. It is reliable and durable. It is not to high when it comes to maintenance. I love this car.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Best economically and reliable car value that hold

by from Johns Creek GA 30022 on June 23, 2017

Drives like a good sports car with excellent handling, spacious and wonderful throughout. It's just the right size, has very comfortable seats and is loaded with technology! On my first I averaged 34 mpg hwy. If you're looking for a new crossover in this segment, put this one on your short list to test drive.

Still cruising at 180,000 miles.

by from Gainesville, FL on May 31, 2017

It's been a faithful car. No issues, though the back struts need replacement. Fold the back seats down, and this car will haul a lot of stuff, packed to the ceiling. We are now contemplating putting a tow hitch on it, to tow our aluminum boat. Highway noise is loud in the car, and the factory hubcaps were obviously defective; for a number of years, half the Matrix we saw on the highway were missing 1-3 hubcaps. Toyota would not correct the problem, so we bought plastic hubcaps at Auto Zone, a set of 4 for $20.00. The doors began to rattle a little after being slammed for a couple of years, so they're obviously not built as solid as a Camry. I changed the oil every 5,000 miles and used Castrol GTX synthetic oil, very good stuff.

Great!

by from Citrus Heights, CA on May 23, 2017

I bought it when it has 10k in 2006. Now it has 112k and its 2017. I had only one problem - brake rotors. I just had to change them. That's it. It is extremely reliable car! Good gas mileage. Only one problem maybe - it would be much better to have 2.0 or 2.2 engine instead of 1.8. Car would be faster at start. Overal - wonderful car!

salvage

by from on April 13, 2017

The car is very economical in terms of fuel consumption, drives well and its maintenance is very low. i like the car because it carries alloy rim that looks like a pure silver and the and the tires are good

Great Gas Saver

by from Charlotte, NC on March 23, 2017

Used as a second car to save gas. Fill up for less than $30. Last two weeks or more driven 6 days a week.

Excellent Inexpensive Reliable Car!!!

by from New Jersey on March 29, 2015

I bought my 2004 Matrix used with 55,000 mi. I drove it to 209,000 miles and it was still going. The only maintenance costs were at 155K miles, which was the brake calipers that locked up on both sides. Other than that I only changed the oil, rotors, brake pads and tires. At 190K mi the catalytic converter, the air sensor, went bad, an engine oil leak started, and the car became louder while driving. At 209K mi. and looking at over $2K in needed repairs I traded in my faithful inexpensive Matrix. It was worth it! I used it as a commuter car, but it became my small utility van on the weekend for home projects. The fold down seats allows you to fit so much, people would look at me funny and stopped to see if my Matrix would actually fit all the stuff I used to haul away. Best inexpensive, commuter/utility/cargo hatchback ever!!! I will miss her.

nice upgrade over Versa

by from EP, MN on December 18, 2012

I have a 2007 Nissan Versa, which I like, but was disappointed in performance and gas mileage (30mpg at most, less in winter). This 2004 Matrix XRS, easily corrects my performance deficiency, while getting *better* gas mileage! Sure, the Matrix has a manual, which helps - but it feels like twice the car. I didn't realize the Versa felt sort of cheap, until closing the door on the Matrix - nice and solid sound. Also, interior noise in the Matrix is much quieter - even with the windows open, which surprised me. The Matrix also has more head room, yet looks sleeker. Small things like the tail gate window being able to open, the fold flat seats, automatic lights, built-in 120v AC outlet, two 12v lighter ports, better quality cup holders, etc.... all add up. Sure, the XRS is the higher end model - but I paid about the same money for the much newer Versa, yet the Matrix impresses so much more. My only complaint was very poor winter driving, with the wide 17" tires that came with it - but I resolved that by buying a set of 16" Blizzaks from tirerack (did cost me another $700, but now the thing fearlessly plows through snow and ice, up here in MN).