2004 Matrix

2004 Toyota Matrix

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 2004 Toyota Matrix?

Love this car

by Former "car curmudgeon" from San Jose, CA on Thu Jan 11 2007

I love my 2004 Matrix. I bought it used with 20K on it. The interior noise level when driving on a freeway is bad, the tire noise on certain types of pavement is awful. But other than that, I really love it. I have disk problems in my lower back, so I really appreciate a car that's easy to get in and out of, and this is it! Auto xmission, it gets 30mpg average. The higher the price of gas, the higher the price of buying these used.

excellent vehicle

by bobbydrums67 from lynn, in on Thu Nov 06 2008

I am 6 ft 4 in 220 lbs and play drums this vehicle will haul them all with no problems with room to spare 36 mpg at 70 plus mph dependable would have 4 if i could afford them and needed them

Uses car for To save gas

Excellent Performer- reliable family car

by Paul from Virginia on Sat Jun 25 2011

Had 7 years of trouble free service from this car (a Corolla with a SUV box. Using regular gas got at least 30 mph town/hwy combined. A vast amount of cargo space and so versatile with the 60/40 bench down. Parking is a breeze even in Manhattan, moved many family and friends alike. It can even handle a full sofa!! Once I loaded a lawn aerater and lawn mower- no prob. Matrix is by far the most reliable car on the road and very reasonable too.

I Love It Despite the Noise

by rwd from lewisburg, wv on Sat Dec 23 2006

and the relative underpoweredness of the engine. It handles in a reliable and definitive fashion. The interior is comfortable and accommodating. Lots of stash places and adjustables. Mine is all wheel, which is a plus for the dirt and winding WV roads I drive. On the down side, rear visibility is limited by the narrow window and intruding headrests, the intrument panel is deep set and difficult to see from some angles (twice now I've missed the empty on light!), the noisy, somewhat underpowered engines reminds you it ain't a Camry. It definitely feels like this vehicle has the Toyota dependability you expect, and you'll get compliments on the design if that matters to you. I am, overall, satisfied.

Excellent Inexpensive Reliable Car!!!

by Rob from New Jersey on Sun Mar 29 2015

I bought my 2004 Matrix used with 55,000 mi. I drove it to 209,000 miles and it was still going. The only maintenance costs were at 155K miles, which was the brake calipers that locked up on both sides. Other than that I only changed the oil, rotors, brake pads and tires. At 190K mi the catalytic converter, the air sensor, went bad, an engine oil leak started, and the car became louder while driving. At 209K mi. and looking at over $2K in needed repairs I traded in my faithful inexpensive Matrix. It was worth it! I used it as a commuter car, but it became my small utility van on the weekend for home projects. The fold down seats allows you to fit so much, people would look at me funny and stopped to see if my Matrix would actually fit all the stuff I used to haul away. Best inexpensive, commuter/utility/cargo hatchback ever!!! I will miss her.

GREAT XRS

by WORKER from 47025 on Wed May 11 2011

I GET GREAT GAS MILAGE AT 65MPH. I DO HAVE TO USE PREMIUM FUEL BUT ONLY USING 11 GALLONS OF GAS PER WEEK AMOUNTS TO $2.20 EXTRA. FOR 36 MPG THAT IS NOT BAD

Best economically and reliable car value that hold

by Albert from Johns Creek GA 30022 on Fri Jun 23 2017

Drives like a good sports car with excellent handling, spacious and wonderful throughout. It's just the right size, has very comfortable seats and is loaded with technology! On my first I averaged 34 mpg hwy. If you're looking for a new crossover in this segment, put this one on your short list to test drive.

Love this little car

by Grammy from North Dakota on Tue Jul 26 2011

I purchased this car in 2006 and just paid it off. It had 35,000 miles on it and now has 160,000 and I have had no trouble and have only replaced the back window wiper. The hub caps did come off, but we replaced them with rims. I have gotten as much as 42 MPG while driving 55-60mph. My grandchildren love to ride with me and there is so much cargo room. I love the clearance from the ground and not having to sit way down when getting in.

Great!

by Pitbulmaster from Citrus Heights, CA on Tue May 23 2017

I bought it when it has 10k in 2006. Now it has 112k and its 2017. I had only one problem - brake rotors. I just had to change them. That's it. It is extremely reliable car! Good gas mileage. Only one problem maybe - it would be much better to have 2.0 or 2.2 engine instead of 1.8. Car would be faster at start. Overal - wonderful car!

Still cruising at 180,000 miles.

by Old Man from Gainesville, FL on Wed May 31 2017

It's been a faithful car. No issues, though the back struts need replacement. Fold the back seats down, and this car will haul a lot of stuff, packed to the ceiling. We are now contemplating putting a tow hitch on it, to tow our aluminum boat. Highway noise is loud in the car, and the factory hubcaps were obviously defective; for a number of years, half the Matrix we saw on the highway were missing 1-3 hubcaps. Toyota would not correct the problem, so we bought plastic hubcaps at Auto Zone, a set of 4 for $20.00. The doors began to rattle a little after being slammed for a couple of years, so they're obviously not built as solid as a Camry. I changed the oil every 5,000 miles and used Castrol GTX synthetic oil, very good stuff.

1 2 3