2006 Matrix

4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

So far, so good

by tmax06 from Pennsylvania on July 15, 2009

Purchased used '06 matrix awd with 71k miles on it, which is no problem for a toyota. This car is very comfortable and handles nicely. Although it may lack a little power in the long run, it is quick off the line. The awd feature is nice to have, can't wait to try it in the snow. I've only had the car a little over a week, so I hope my reliability rating stand true. The sound system is enough and the sunroof is a nice little extra. I also approve of the side and curtain airbags. Overall, I am very pleased with this car so far.

LOVE this car!

by ohwise1 from St. Louis, MO on July 16, 2006

'06 XR w traction & stability control, electronic braking assist. Seats more comfortable than the Camry it replaced. Nimble, feels very stable on highway even in high winds - handles curvy roads like the tires were velcro. It's like a magic trick when you walk up to the compact exterior, open the door and find an incredible amount of interior space that you never dreamed could be found in the cute little thing... Other car is an Avalon and I opt to drive this on long trips (1700+ miles). Get 27-29 MPG in city and 30-36 on highway, depends on if I'm wearing the 'lead-footed' or the 'behave-yourself' shoes. Love the high seat position and the micro-adjustable heating/cooling dash vents.

Best bang for the buck!

by Zartan from Huntington, NY on April 5, 2007

I got a 06 matrix xr. Love the car! Pros - head room, flexibility with cargo space and mileage. The interior is nicely designed, but the materials are not that strong. The cargo space is the best - hauled a nice 2-seater couch and even a futon from ikea!! With the car fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage travelled comfortably on long road trips. Nice car overall.

The Car You'll Grow To Love

by Alx from Mountain View, CA on March 14, 2007

Best car I have ever owned. Lots of cargo room with high gas mileage. You can't beat that. Better handling than an suv. You just cannot dislike this car. It has too many pros. I would recommend this vehicle definitely.

Toyota hit the bulls eye!

by Matrix Expert from Orange County, CA on May 14, 2006

I recently purchased the Matrix XRS trim. I fell in love at first sight. Yes it is a different looking car, even my own twin brother hates the looks. But it is as close to a funcional sports car as you can get. First off, is space: Head and leg room is immense. My 6'5" father can relax quite comfortably in the passenger seat. Even without the rear seats folded down rear cargo room is insane. Toyota has made the most of every nook and crany for storage. 2 weeks after purchase, I was still finding nick nack storage. The XRS has great acceleration, even without taking it to the 8200rpm redline. Ride is quiet while crusing, but loud on accelation(which I like) and the engine and exhaust howls like a banshee beyond 6000rpm. Braking is very responsive and stable. Even with my typical youth driving, I still average 25 miles a gallon. For those interested in the base and XR: Funcionality and interior space is exactly the same as the XRS, the only difference is the drivetrain.

Best Car for the money!

by El Chitester from Martinsburg, WV on May 25, 2007

I love this car. Not only does it look good it handles great. Even in the winter with icy conditions and a state of emergency declared I had no problem getting around in my XR!

love my matrix

by bb from Winnipeg, Canada on September 20, 2014

I've had my Matrix for 9 years now. I can honestly say it has been a fantastic little car. It has been reliable. The only concern I have had is that the catalytic convertor failed at year 9. Apparently this part should be expected to go in this car. (Something to consider if buying a used one). I have not done any other work to my car other than routine stuff like fluids brakes and tires. It isn't terribly quick. That's OK. Handling is better than most Toyotas. It has some steering feel. Interior is a bit cheap. Lots of hard plastics. The headrests are also quick to wear and lose their shape. Overall this has been a stellar car. I havent replaced it as it still isn't costing me anything.

A perfect car!

by Savvy buyer. from San Francisco on June 26, 2006

Very quiet, roomy & good gas mileage. I will definitely buy it again. My friend bought a 2005 Matrix after I picked her up from SF airport by my 2004 MAtrix. Both she & I found the Matrix very handy/spacious when we moved to our new apartments. I drive back from IKEA w/ a queen size bed frame & mattress in this car. The only problem is the rear passenger seats are not that comfortable because of limited leg space.

Top Notch

by Driver from Ok on February 5, 2007

This is the best car to come down the pike in a long time. Inexpensive and fun at the same time, with Toyota's Customary Reliablity as a given, this is one you'll own for a long time.

great car

by big dogg from vallejo ,ca on September 24, 2010

great car all over ,good milaege, very comfortable ,and very reliable, ,and you can do alot with it ,hall the family and put do the back seats and go to home depot, mine is a automatic ,and it is a fast little car,and my wife and kids also drive it and enjoy it with no problems

1 2 3