Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2002 MR2

2002 Toyota MR2

2002 Toyota MR2

5 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
5 out of 5 stars Reliability
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2002 Toyota MR2?

Unbeatable bang for the buck.....

by Hungry PR from NH from Seacoast NH on Wed Jan 09 2013

Hi. At 35 mpg ish average mileage and bulletproof reliability, can't imagine why this car didn't sell better as new. Could be the best used vehicle "value" for a convertible if you can get the right price. DO NOT BUY the SMT(Sequential Manual Transmission), a rare mis step by Toyota and quirky/hard to fix. Stick with 5spd manual, do your homework and buy one!!!!!!!!! Paul

Nothing like a 2000 lb. car built by in Japan

by dokker from Maine on Fri Mar 19 2010

There is nothing like a light (2000 lb.) car built by Toyota. This car is what Porsche should have built when they gave us the 914. I'm sure there is nothing that will outhandle this car (maybe a newer 911, but look at the tires they put on those. And it runs on regular fuel and gets over 30 all the time, and almost 40 on long highway trips (I never got 40 but I did 38 to 39 going fast). It even has a glass rear window (unlike early Boxters). My only complaint was storage - just a little up front and behind the seats, and weird silver tube/frame accents in the cockpit. You don't need a power top as it can be raised and lowered while inside sitting at stoplights.

Most fun for the $

by cdcdarien from CT shoreline on Tue May 29 2012

I set out to get another Porsche 911, having had 3 in the past. Came to realize that the 1984-89's I liked are approaching antique status, so I went and sampled a lot of other possibilities: BMW Z4 - fast, but heavy feelilng, stiff ride; Mazda Miata - Roof too low to sit up, chintzy plastic interior, though fun to drive; Boxster - Too pricey and maintenance and insurance could be expensive as well; Honda S2000 - Like the Miata, cramped interior (though much nicer) but great performer; Chrysler Crossfire - Cramped and heavy. Finally I remembered having done a test drive in an MR2 Spyder when they first came out. Liked it a lot, but the dealer was gouging, so I walked. Looked at lot of them before I found one with low miles, a good body and not messed-around with. For its size, it is very comfortable, has decent headroom, is light and quick and the Corolla-based drivetrain is about as close to bulletproof as you can get. Delivers 30 mpg on regular with spirited driving. Top goes up or down with one hand from the driver's seat. Only downside - there's no place to put anything except for a space behnd the seats that would fit 2 small overnight bags or a few bags of groceries. Decent examples are to be had in the $11 to 13K range.

Excellent Drivers Car

by geearem from MN on Sat Jul 14 2012

"I bought a 2002 (with good pre-cats) with 19K miles last week. I LOVE THIS CAR!! I have owned several driver's cars (99 Miata 10AE supercharged, 94 Supra Twin Turbo, C6 Vette convertible all either new or less than 2 years old) yet this 10 year old underpowered, bug-eyed car with no trunk and only 5 speeds makes me happiest while driving. The driving skill that it takes to get the most out of the Corolla-based engine while carving corners is a pleasure for me. Now I can experience the agility of a light mid-engined car for less that $13K. I want the new 2013 Boxster but will happily wait for a used one in the next couple years now that I have the Spyder. My daily driver is a Lexus LS600HL which is the other end of the spectrum and I love them both!!"

THIS CAR WILL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

by BEAR from NEW YORK on Sat Jun 07 2008

VERY VERY SEXY CAR AND ONCE YOU GET GOING THIS LITTLE PUPPY CAN ROCK. LOADS OF FUN TO DRIVE AND WILL GET A LOT OF HEADS TO TURN.

Everyone loves my car!

by Richmond Spyder from Richmond, VA on Thu Apr 29 2010

I've had my MR2 for about 2 and a half years, and I absolutely love it. I wasn't out looking for an MR2, but I turned around and saw it at the dealership and had to have it. It gets amazing gas mileage, so while driving around town, to and from work, I only have to fill up every two to three weeks. I get compliments on my car all the time, especially because you don't see too many of them on the road. Here in Richmond I've seen about 4 others in various colors; we give each other the wave that I thought was only shared by Jeep owners. :) Downsides: 1) there is hardly any storage space, so I can never go on a road trip if someone else is in the car; 2) Richmond is pothole central, so I have to be very careful to avoid them because this car, being so low to the ground, allows you to feel everything in the road; 3) rush hour can be intimidating at times with so many trucks and SUV's on the road...I have to make sure I'm never in someone's blind spot because they will not see me since the car is so small. Aside from those few things, I love this car. Is had great low-end torque, and the car will move in 3rd gear going less than 5 miles per hour, not that I make a practice of this. This is the perfect car for anyone who loves to go out for long (and fast) Sunday drives.

The most fun you can have without a partner!

by The Spyder Professor from Hampstead, MD on Wed Jan 17 2007

I have driven my MR2 Spyder over 55,000 miles. The few problems I did have were self-imposed (e.g., I spun the car and forgot to hold the clutch in, so broke the tranny). I just love this car. The fact that I average 29 mpg overall is just the icing on the cake (and the excuse I use to have it - who would deny anyone an economy car in this era of high fuel prices?). I recommend it and would buy another one.

Best Handling!

by Love My SMT MR2 Spyder from Elk Grove, CA on Wed Jul 01 2009

I have owned my MR2 Spyder for a little over 5 years and love everything about it. It has the best handling of any car I have driven and because the engine is in the back of the car, it is very quick! I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a sports car...it's definitely the best deal for your money!

Neatest sports car ever.

by nvcollins from VA on Tue Sep 19 2006

Car has 48,000 miles and looks new for a 2002 model. Handles like a dream and has plenty of leg room for a 6'4" driver. Gas milage seems to be between 25 and 30 mpg. Acceleration is great in 5th gear. Top is very manageable to take down and put up.

A pure, frugal joy to drive!

by Spyder Fever from Michigan on Tue Nov 15 2011

Getting consistently higher gas mileage than my wife's corolla in city/mixed driving. It's very powerful, nimble, and responsive. Tremendous traction in inclement weather. Some of the best braking performance you will find anywhere. We are able to get a full grocery trip for a family of four loaded up between the storage compartments behind the seats and on top of the spare in the boot. Gets a lot of looks and is a pure joy on the back roads. I would not, however recommend it for extensive highway driving. If you plan on that, make sure you buy the six speed sequential manual (2003-05). Exceptional build quality and components. Hands down, the best car I have ever purchased.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2002 Toyota MR2

Toyota's MR Spyder is a four-wheeled doodlebug. A doodlebug is kin to the ant lion, a name that seems descriptive: big and small at the same time.

The MR Spyder is small. It has a 96.5-inch wheelbase, an overall length of just 153 inches and it weighs a scant 2,195 pounds. Even though it is physically small, it has the performance of a much larger car because it weighs so little. The 1.8-liter, four-cylinder cranks out a modest 138 horsepower, but in a light car that is sufficient to make this tiny two-seater scamper to 60 miles per hour in 6.95 seconds. Performance is a reflection of power and weight, not just outright power. A side benefit, of course, is that you can scoot around town and... Read More