2009 Prius

2009 Toyota Prius

2009 Toyota Prius

Have You Driven the 2009 Toyota Prius?

Great car with the best gas mileage

by Jackie from Newton, NJ on Thu Jul 01 2010

I bought my Prius March 2009 and just hit 30,000 miles. It's a fun car to drive and you can't beat the gas mileage. Has alot of room, actually was able to put a dishwasher in the back and I take my German Sheppard with me on long trips and she's comfortable. It has a comfortable ride and more room than you would expect at first glance. If I had to find any faults, I would say the bar across the back window is a little annoying and it's so so in the snow. I will say I did have it out in a snowstorm and passed other SUV's stuck on the side of the road as I went by. Just need to be careful it can skid. Overall, it's been a great car so far and I've been very happy.

Good overall car...

by CarMan from Frisco, TX on Sat Sep 04 2010

I must admit that I'm a bit spoiled after having driven Audis, Volvos and Acuras for my last three vehicles, so in comparison, the Prius does feel a bit chincy. I have the top-of-the-line "Touring" package with Nav, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Voice Command, Xenon Headlights, Leather, JBL Upgraded Sound System etc..., but for a car that cost what a one year old used BMW 3-Series would go for, I am disappointed in the quality of the leather used, as well as the fact that on this model you don't get heated seats or power seats (I know...spoiled...what a hardship). The "upgraded" Touring package rims have plastic hubcap-like covers over them. The car is tremendously noisy at highway speeds (tons of road roar), the car does not handle very crisply and most diappointing of all is, that even if you drive fairly conservatively I have not been able to get anywhere near the 48 MPG that is claimed on the window sticker (I have gotten about 41 MPG max in a combo of city and hwy driving).

Hybrid Analysis

by Tech Enthusiast from Iowa on Sat May 01 2010

My second Prius and still like the car. The 2009 still had a lot of the cool freebees including LCD display, touchless/keyless entry, ipod jack etc. It gives me 48 mpg but summer should bring that down. The audio system still needs improvement, no amount of adjustment of Bass or Treble and the DSP gets to a consistently good audio experience. It's got a lot of interior cabin room and having been a accident with the my older prius which was the same model it held up very well from a safety perspective. Overall a great value and low maintenance car.

Prius Improvements

by Commuter from East Lansing on Wed Dec 31 2008

Reporting on the 2006 Prius, I noted surging on the freeway (unless cruise control used) and a rear seat with compromised headroom. Both items have been addressed. The surge is not showing up in the 2009 Prius, and the rear seat cushion apparently has been lowered, which means that my head doesn't hit the ceiling as in the 2006. Also, the texture of the instrument and door panels has been changed. In 2006 they were a painted smooth plastic with a finish that rapidly rubbed off. In 2009 it is unpainted black plastic with a texture that resists scarring where a passenger's foot rubs when legs are crossed. I still think that this is a vehicle primarily intended for in town commuting. At highway speeds (ca. 70 mph) it has an up-on-its-tippy-toes feel that probably comes from the low rolling resistance tires. It wanders a little in its lane. I wouldn't want to drive it on ice or snow using its original equipment tires and was quite cautious when driving on wet roads. The person who wants to commute shorter distances will be quite happy with this vehicle, and it now is more friendly toward average-sized Americans. Front seat comfort is quite good, with firm, supportive bucket seats. Back seat, acceptable unless you are about six feet or teller. A small family could get by well with the Prius, though it might be a tight fit with two kids plus all the stuff that comes with children. The hatchback is a plus here, allowing one to pile up cargo. Purchase price is quite a bit higher than equivalent non-hybrid vehicles, so it is hard to say if overall cost (purchase price plus operating costs) is any lower than a conventional car. Still, those who want a Prius don't want anything else and will appreciate the car's many plusses.

Highly Recommend Prius

by In a Nutshell from Illinois/Wisconsin border on Mon May 14 2012

In March when gas prices were surging we decided to move from an Audi that got 16 miles/gal. to one that did better. We decided on the Prius as it seemed economical with few inconveniences. Purchasing was a challange as the first dealer we visited was a Toyota dealer and he wanted just a few thousand dollars less for a 2009 than he did for a 2012. We looked further and found a 2009 at a non-Toyota dealer for $5,000 less than the Toyota dealer wanted. We purchased it and are happy with the choice. The interior is well appointed with most controls on the dash and on the steering column. The car is comfortable and quiet and averages 50 mpg! Sometimes more, rarely less. Another good part: no plug-in charging. The car recharges itself constantly. Its a little different looking, but we really like it and recommend it.

Perfect for my commute to work

by AKD from Los angeles on Wed Jan 04 2012

I traded in my Yukon for a prius.... Hard to do because I am used to the large 4x4. However, I am glad I did because I am saving over 400 per month on gas... That includes a car payment I didn't have previously! Best decision I've made in awhile!!

Best car I've ever owned!

by I drive in snow from Lutsen, MN on Sun Jul 26 2009

Actually had a 2008 Prius, mid-level model, identical to 2009. Put 55,000 miles on it in 18 months. Lots of freeway (5 hour commutes 2-3 times/month), but also lots of back-country gravel roads. I live in northern Minnesota, just south of Canadian border, in deep woods. We have lots of snow, and after fitting Michelin Ice-X winter tires, never got stuck. Our driveway is a mile-long U.S.Forest Service logging road: Made it up the driveway, steep hills and all, with well over a foot of snow, car plowing a groove through the stuff. Never got stuck. Great on ice. Traction control feels wierd but works well. So happy with the car we gave it to our daughter-in-law as a wedding present and bought a 2010! And the mileage was just fine: Approximately 40 in winter, 45 in summer.

An excellent reliable choice.

by Vince from Virginia Beach, VA on Tue Jan 03 2012

First of all, the fuel economy is amazing. The transition between the thermal engine and the electrical one is smooth and easy. It is a very well equipped car and all the controls come out very handy when you need them. Very easy and pleasant to drive, surprising performance for a small engine. Only regret : miss a bluetooth connection for the sound system so I wouldn't have to connect my iphone to the auxilary. I can't really find anything else bad to say about it.

Third Hybrid, First Toyota

by Double Green from South Florida on Tue Mar 20 2012

Having been a Honda fan for many years, we changed to Toyota. Honda air conditioning was not made for the South Florida Heat ! We returned our 2009 Civic Hybrid for that reason only. The car did achieve the 40 MPG's, except for the 90 degrees plus days. The Civic Hybrid could take 10 - 12 Minutes to cool down, and the Prius takes less than three. Here in S. FL that is a BIG factor. Another factor for consideration, The Hybrid Civic has not increased in price. Really no difference in price from 2009 to the 2012. This means they will be worth less year after year. Toyota now has three different Prius models to chose from, top selling Hybrid, and increasing prices, FYI. With gas prices increasing for sure there will be a limited supply and hefty prices

Comfortable, Reliable, Cute, and Economical

by artteach from Binghamton, NY on Mon Sep 26 2011

There are a lot of negative rumors about battery cost, expense, and sluggishness. They are all UNTRUE. The Prius is a great vehicle, it has as much pickup as any four cylinder vehicle and my gas savings every month is incredible--it comes close to paying for itself. It is not that expensive compared to other well-performing mid size sedans and Toyota claims that the only reason anyone has ever had to replace the battery is in the case of damage due to collision. Go ahead, buy the Prius!

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2009 Toyota Prius

Editor's note: This review was written in January 2008 about the 2008 Toyota Prius. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2009, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

I've returned to the Toyota Prius four years after my initial review, and it's still more than viable despite its age and all the other hybrid models that have come since — including a hybrid Camry. Its excellent reliability certainly hasn't hurt, and the Prius owes no small number of its sales to states like California and Virginia, where officials have allowed hybrid owners to drive in carpool lanes even when the driver is the only occupant. In Los Angeles... Read More