2013 Prius Plug-in

2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in

2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in

Have you driven the 2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in?

excellent car

by ajg from Southeast Pennsylvania on Fri Nov 23 2012

I now have 5,000 on the car...I know b/c, besides being able to see the the mileage on the dash, I'm told everytime I start it that it needs maintenance...the Prius Plug-in is the 4th Prius I have owned...this one, during the warm weather, gives me close to 100mpg...during the warm weather, it was giving me 13 miles of pure electric drive (my 100mpg was done in short trips (no A/C of less than 13 miles, with an occasional longer trip using the vehicle in typical hybrid mode)...cold weather changes the way I operate, b/c anytime you hit the heat/fan button, you automatically turn on the standard hybrid mode (you use gas)...currently, I'm getting 93mpg, but the really cold weather hasn't started yet (it's november in PA)...I've learned to manipulate the system by starting in hybrid mode, driving half the distance and then turning on the "all electric" mode for the rest of the short trip(going less than 13 miles gives me about 130mpg with that manipulation)...also, in the cold weather, I only get about 11 miles of pure electric ( the cold weather only permits the car to recharge to 11)...it is the best Prius I've owned, and I've filled the tank only 5 times in the 5 months I've had it (but the vast majority of my driving has been short runs, and I've been a "nut" about plugging it in almost everytime I drive it)...on the turnpike, which means hybrid-only driving, I will typically get about 65 mpg...an interesting observation:the limit of pure electric drive says 13 miles, but it's relative (starting out/driving up hills/any kind of acceleration uses heavy amounts of electricity...you may have only gone 200 yards, but if it's uphill, you will have used maybe a half mile of electricity...so, it's also possible to get more than 13 miles out of a charge (lots of coasting and braking and not too much starting/accelerating)...I've gotten 16 pure electric miles with a 13 mile charge (lots of coasting)...I believe the vehicle would be better if Toyota had put a bigger battery in it so that 50 miles of pure eletric power would be possible...last point: I had to go to NJ to purchase the car b/c PA didn't sell them at the time...

Best Car for the Money

by PRIUS Lover from Stony Brook, NY on Thu Jun 20 2013

This is my 3rd Prius. I have driven my Prius Plug-In (Base model) over 10,000 miles in 3 1/2 months. I use the car for heavy commuter driving. I love this car more than any other that I have owned. One complaint in expert reviews is that the Plug-In is not worth the extra money ($8000) over a entry level Prius II. Well, Toyota opened all the stops to sell this car. I got a rebate of $4650 + $2500 Federal Tax Credit + $600 Dealer discount + Zero % 5 Year Financing (worth $4000 to me) on top of 25000 miles of Free Maintenance and 3 Years of Free Roadside Assistance. Now I have a far more advanced car with many sweet features for about the same price as the entry trim-level Prius II. I do not plug in my car as much as I should - I can't do it at work (wish I could). My long term average mileage is 60 MPG in the NYC Metro area (suburbs). One way to NJ job is 26.2 miles and I leave with a full charge getting about 80 to 100 MPG. Coming back home (or going on mid-day trips), I have no EV battery reserve and get in the mid-50's going over the Geo. Washington Bridge, Cross Bronx and Whitestone Bridge. Short trips with no EV miles are the big killer - I get a miserable 40 MPG or so. I really enjoy those heated fabric seats in cold weather. Car has a solid feel and comfortable bucket seats. Center "flying buttress" controls make friends think I am driving a spaceship. There is slow acceleration in EV and ECO (Hybrid) modes, but this can be changed by putting the car in POWER mode (rarely done by me). It seemed to fly in comparison. This hesitant acceleration was deliberately done to save a ton of gas over the long run. You get used to it and adjust your driving style. I always have enough power to get on highways even in ECO mode. I have every reason to believe that my Prius Plug-In will be as ultra reliable with very few repairs as my other 2 Prius cars.

plug in

by steve from Livermore, Ca. on Wed Dec 18 2013

got $5500.00 off at Dublin and got $6500.00 tax credit, plus free rubber mats, 60 months no interest, what more can you want, drives great; average about 53 miles have got as much as 70 with around town short trip driving, also have a 2013 Avalon Hybrid get 40 per gallon highway and city, cannot beat the Avalon for luxury and the radar or speed control on both is the best yet with automatic braking and then resume speed;

Converted from HCH

by Hybrid Driver from Mississippi on Mon Nov 30 2015

Got to know hybrids with a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. Prius seems to have a superior design and better mileage. Not only good for the environment but also a fuel saver. Feels much roomier, peppier, and more stable on the road. So far, so good. Prius seems to be more reliable with fewer problems. Looking forward to that!

Happy to have a plug in hybrid

by Dgu from Hagerstown MD on Sat Jan 20 2018

It’s what we were looking for for a good price. Lots of room, great fuel mileage, good styling, great color.

It?s a Toyota duh!

by Rictua from Tualatin OR on Fri Jan 26 2018

Plug it in and get the first 10-11 miles on electric, after that awesome hybrid. This is my 4th and best Hybrid

Great car

by Scottnn on Thu Oct 26 2017

It's a great car for commuting. HOV sticker saves a lot of time and stress. It's comfortable and the mpg is fantastic. Just wish the battery was bigger.

Nice Economic reliable vehicle

by Gerry998 from NEW ROCHELLE on Fri May 18 2018

Love it. Economic on gas. Reliable. Not bad in the snow with snow tires. Great for teenager's first car, since you cannot really race with this car. Great for long drives. Love it.

Work and back car

by Scot from Irvine, ca on Mon Nov 13 2017

Great commuter car with the hov stickers. Gas mileage is really good - only fill up once a month. Very reliable and never had any mechanical issues.

Best Value for the money.

by Dimitre from Rancho Santa Margarita, CA on Thu Sep 14 2017

This car has incredible gas mileage. Very reliable. Tons of space. Absolutely could be used as a working vehicle. Takes quite a load. Very spacious.

1 2

Our Take on the 2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in

Editor's note: This review was written in November 2012 about the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2013, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Toyota spent roughly 10 years marketing its Prius hybrid as a car that never needs to be plugged in, combatting an organic misperception to the contrary. Now the Prius — specifically a version called the Prius Plug-In — can indeed be plugged in. Currently available in 14 coastal states plus Hawaii, the Plug-In will be available across the U.S. by the end of 2013, Toyota says.

On the strength of the regular Prius and its zealous fans, the... Read More