2011 RAV4

2011 Toyota RAV4

Have You Driven the 2011 Toyota RAV4?

2011 RAV4 4cyl. 4x4 OK but disappointed

by Notoyotafan from Maryland on Sat Mar 03 2012

2011 RAV4 Limited 4cyl. engine 4x4. This was purchased as my mom's golden years vehicle. She wanted something she could see out of, was up high/easy to get in and out of, small-ish and got good gas mileage. Also, all the bells and whistles my dad refused to get in the past, so she chose an almost fully loaded Limited model. Went with 4 cylinder engine to maximize MPG, but my area is short on front wheel drive 'Limited' models, so ended up with the 4 wheel drive. At the time of purchase, Toyota.com said 2 wheel drive models were not available for sale in my area (Md.). I don't know if this was due to the tsunami or just a regular sales decision. There is no hill-holder or hill brake on the automatic transmission in the 4 cylinder model, so when you start on a steep hill the car rolls back like a manual transmission car. Really unnerves my mom. She tries to avoid hills. I've heard the hill brake may be an option (?) you can purchase, but seeing as she bought a Limited version and it didn't come with it, I doubt it. Maybe the front wheel drive only version has it? The V-6 does have it. We didn't encounter any substantial hills on our test drives so it didn't appear to be as rolly as it really is on big hills. The gas mileage is awful for old lady drivers. My mom's short 2-5 mile stop-sign racing at 25-35 mph speeds result in 16-17mpg. But, one trip over 10 miles on the highway will bump the average to over 20mpg, but still nowhere near the big print advertised mileage, much closer to the small low end fine print mileage for the V-6. The "break in period" is bogus. Did average 28-30 mpg on a long interstate trip, but we cared more about the around town mileage. I am 6'3" and I find the seats to be slightly off. Seat bottoms are not quite wide enough or long enough, but it's not my car. But, at least your almost level with your co-pilot versus the Subaru Forester where the co-pilot sits down in a hole with the dash board at eye level. Overall, you can't beat the room available in the RAV4. Very roomy front and back. Oh, we only got the 2 rows of seats. As most everyone notes, the swing out tailgate is not great, but you can learn to work with it. Only thing you can't work around is when it's raining; you don't have any cover and the rain just goes right in the back. Overall the RAV4 is a great vehicle. The 4 cylinder has a lot of pep. More than enough to get you moving. Ride is tops for the type of vehicle, but by no means smooth or sedan-like. Wind and road noise is quieter than CR-V, but not as quiet as a sedan. Speaking of the CR-V, the RAV4 doesn't have any strong vibrations through the steering wheel when stopped at a light like the CR-V. That was a bit unnerving on our CR-V test drives. You'd be sitting at a light and it would just vibrate your arms. I think it was tied to the power steering and A/C system. Anyways, one of the cons for the CR-V that led to the RAV4 purchase. The interior details are great in the RAV4: cup holders, outlets, folding seats, sliding seats, armrest and glove boxes. The only other thing I don't like are the LCD displays. They look dated and detract from the style of the interior. A quibble, but eh...

2011 RAV 4 review

by Joey from Minneapolis, MN on Fri Mar 25 2011

My second RAV4, a number of enhancements have been made on my LTD model since the 2007 model year I previously owned. The V6 is a great engine but my previous RAV had an annoying whine at 60 to 65 mph. Improvements in the electronically controlled transmission software have made the 2011 whisper quiet at these speeds. The smart key entry system works flawlessly and is great when you've got armfuls of stuff and can't fish the key out of your pocket. It even works when I'm wearing gloves. Zero squeaks or rattles, even in cold weather. V6 combined mileage has been in the 24 to 26 range, really good for a V6 4WD. Poor weather handling has been excellent, very stable on bad roads. No regrets in buying another one.

Great car

by Rilius from Orange County, CA on Mon Mar 14 2011

We recently sold our 2002 4Runner and bought a 2011 RAV4 sport. We look the outside and the intrerior is very well designed. The seats are comfortable and the interior has ample room for everything we need to fit, including the 2 car seats we'll be putting in later this year when our twins arrive. Ample power as the 179 hp is only slightly less than the '02 4Runner V6. It sips gas for an SUV.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Reno, NV on Fri May 27 2011

Last car owned 2001 RAV4 Negatives: Stripping along side of car to prevent other car doors damaging, is much, much smaller and not well placed. Gear shifting is complicated by manufac- turer trying to give some semblence to a standard transmission. Writer's first car was a standard transmission. Interior arrangement and seemingly un- necessary placement of some operative instrument are confusing. Once again, the manufacturer is reaching out in des- peration to make the newest model dif- ferent. Too bad, the first few years the models changed little if at all. It all be- gan when they extended the body 14", playing havoc with the MPG and making it difficult to park in a two car garage. Toyota. You really going to print this?

Disappointed

by shops from on Mon Jan 02 2012

We own a 2011 4 cylinder front wheel drive RAV-4. The gas milage is not as good as we expected. We get about 20 per gallon in the city and 25 on the highway. Three times in two months the SUV engine raced and jumped while we were backing up. Toyta kept the car for three days and could not reproduce the issue. This is our third Toyota SUV and our last. Toyota SUV's are not as reliable as their sedans. Toyota SUV's are not woth the price!

Does not recommend this car!!

by FamilyCarBuyer2011 from Indianapolis, IN on Sat Mar 05 2011

I love the car so far. It's quiet yet responsive. I have driven it in the snow and heavy rain. The Interiers are easy to use and all needed. Handling is great. However, shouldn't the XM radio subscription come free with the deal, rather than just 3 months?

Great in Snow & Ice

by Need to Get There from Cedarburg, WI on Tue Mar 22 2011

RAV4 handles well in the poorest of road conditions. Gives the driver the confidence in the cars ability to get you to your destination. Wind noise with rear windows cracked or open is quite annoying. Standard drivers seat can get uncomfortable. Rear window seems to get dirty quite easily. GREAT forward visability!

The Do Everything Vehicle

by The Duke from Calgary, AB on Mon Oct 17 2011

We have the 2011 V6 Limited version with most of the extras except the navigation tool. Great gas mileage, great response on the highway, turns on a dime and extremely responsive. From the outside it appears quite compact. I have taken 80" doors in for repair, transported a 5' bathtub from Home Depot to our home. Taken grandkids on various trips, 4 golfers including myself with all our gear. Looks good, rides great, never a fear of it not performing as advertised when we purchased it.

Versatile and Fun

by CHad from Melbourne Beach, FL on Fri May 20 2011

Bought new 4x4 Limited with v6 in 2009. Have 43,000 miles on car. This is the best car I have ever owned and am still waiting for something to break! Lightning fast, steady and quiet at 75mph, and great breaking. 26mpg at 75. 31mpg at 60mph. I tow a small boat easily. Seat are comfortable, back seat roomy, and storage a plenty. I like the spare outside to gain the interior room. I also like the swing out rear door because I no longer hit my head on old mini van rear door. JBL Sound system, blue tooth, sirius radio, and i pod plug in all work great.

2011 Rav 4

by Usually love my Toyotas from Boston, MA on Thu Jul 21 2011

An ok car but a little light on the bells and whistles for the money. Runs ok but a little rough compared to other small SUVs.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 12

Our Take on the 2011 Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 is a solid performer that you almost don't notice until you stop to think about it. Like that quiet person at your office who doesn't wear loud shirts, engage in office gossip or drink on the job it's easy to dismiss the RAV4 as boring — but to do so is to overlook its strengths.

The 2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport provides good mileage, comfort and utility, but its interior and multimedia systems are a letdown.

As a package, it's better at getting you from Point A to Point B than it is at wowing you with its style.

Interior
The biggest issue with the interior is that it looks and feels like it hasn't been updated in about 10 years. It's worth mentioning for two reasons: One, you'll... Read More