Model Details

2012 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Average based on 42 reviews

The most valuable small SUV

by from Southern California on March 11, 2014

I purchased 2012 Sport V4 model to replace 2005 Sienna Van. I rented a Hyundi Santa Fe for roadtrip before my purchsing. I also tested Nissan Rouge and Honda CRV. Rav4 and Honda CRV were on the final run. I choice Toyota because the package met my need for the price that I expected. Less than one year later, my wife purchased the 2013 CRV base model. Now, I can tell you the true experience of these two competitors as the user. They both have same performance. Rav4 2012 is the last year of the old model. Its interior was designed for V6 w/7 seat optiopn. The 2nd row seat can be slided back and forth. My 5 seat get extra leg room when I push back. Because mine is 5 seat model. It has X-extra huge cargo space. Put down the 2nd row seat, I can still get a flat space like a bed when I going out for camping like driving Sienna van. The 6 speakers audio has excellent sound quality. The only Con's for this car from my experience are 2: 1. The doors are very light, so most of times I have push a little when closing the door. 2. The gas tank is only 12 gal. I believe this is a compromise for the other X-extra features for 7 seat option. I believe this has been changed to 16 gal. in 2013 new model. Of cause, you will not get those X-extra space from 2013 model. My Sport model come with roof window, rack, buletooth and MP3, USB and back-up camera. I used to buy long lumbers from HomeDepot when I drove Sienna van. Although Rav4 is not as long as Sienna van , I can still buy plenty of 2x6x(8+ size). My Rav4 Sport model has #3 gear which help picking up speed on highway when I need. Honda has better interior (roomy). The windshield was pushed forward with wider glass to get more space. The interior width is also a little wider than Rav4. The driver's seat has arm rest which is good for long trip. The back-up camera(rear monitor) has become standard feature which is very thoughtful for high position vehicle. The cargo space is huge too. CRV has smaller turning radious for you make U-turn. They both make you feel very steady while driving on the curving road. They both very reliable, comfort, good driver's view to all around the traffic. The price is difficult to compare each other. I will think they are pretty much the same if same features, but unfortuantely their different trims equipted with different features. Toyota Rav4 (even though 2013 model) is a little sporty looking while CRV is more like city car. You shall pick what you need. You will like either one. Both Toyota and Honda make good value products. So far, I have 10500 miles on my Rav4 and over 5000 miles on CRV. My Rav4 perform 19 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the roadtrip with premium gas. My wife has never counted the mpg for her CRV. I think it is about the same in city. I guess the roadtrip mpg shall be a little better if we try Eco-mode. She mentioned one time about Eco-mode and said "You don't want use this feature in the town even though on highway because the system will run with less power." I guess that Eco-mode will be very helpful if we go for roadtrip in Wild West. Hope these true experience are helpful for you.

Love it so far

by from Central New York on April 11, 2012

I just got my 2012 Rav4 a few weeks ago and took it on a 14 hours round trip to Virginia with no problems. I averaged 25mpg- not awesome but I'll take it. It was very car-like and easy to handle and also very comfortable. Visibility was fine. You do have to watch for wind - common with taller cars but I was driving a tiny sedan previously so it was not something I was used to right away. I love the bluetooth capability and the controls on the dash - something I did not really think I would care about. Since I went from CNY (40 degrees) to Va (65 degrees) I got to use both heat and a/c: both were fine. Lots of storage space throughout. My friend just traded in her 12 year old Rav 4 with over 140,000mi on it. I hope mine lasts that long!

My New Rav 4

by from Pinetop, Arizona on August 23, 2012

I've been a Toyota person forever. Prior to this SUV, I had a Yaris - which is fantastic on gas. I needed a vehicle for the snow, plus a larger one for my dogs. I absolutely love my SUV, roomy enough, and it sits high enough (like a truck) so I can see past the vehicle ahead of me. It rides so smootlhly and I can't wait to use all the gadgets I've never had before in a car. For a larger vehicle that I am used to - it is doing exceptionally well on gas. (I average 26.5 mpg) This is in the city - mind you. This is also the first vehicle I've had which is automatic. I have to remind myself not to shift & not to clutch. Other than this, I love my new Rav-ioli.

Very comfortable

by from Ashtabula, OH on October 17, 2012

I'm 6'4" with arthritis in knees and hips. The RAV4 allows me to travel for more than 1 1/2 hrs before I need to stop to relieve knee and hip pain. There is also more than ample headroom.

like the v6 power. Goooooo

by from Pittsburgh Pa on February 23, 2013

I have a 2007 Rav4 and use it for travel. The V6 give you the option of getting out of the way or hitting the brakes. the interstates are test of survival. So when I found out that toyota was getting rid of the V6 safety feature, I purchased the 2012 with the V6. Now the 2013 Rav4 looks like all the rest. Oh hum

32 mpg on hwy

by from st paul,mn. on September 21, 2012

minimum 28 mpg through yellowstone, tetons,rockies. almost drives itself.only a four cylinder but plenty power.

Safe and Reliable Small SUV

by from on September 22, 2012

This is the second RAV4 we have owned. It is a nice little SUV for our needs, we purchased for reliability and the value we got for the money. Very easy to drive and has all the safety features you need in a modern vehicle including the backup camera. Plenty of room in the back for all our stuff and a Kayak on top of the racks. Plus my wife likes how the higher stance of the vehicle gives her a better view of the road. The RAV4 fits our lifestyle and needs.

now a two rav4 family

by from Tampa on June 29, 2012

the 97 rav 4 is sweet with no problems other than normal service which is expected so we added a new one to the family which is the 2012 rav4 limited and passed on the 4 wheel drive and 6 cylinder as we live in Florida and wanted the best millage and did not have the need for a 6 or 4x4 as our new 2012 rav has more power than the 97 which is fine everywhere fully loaded with camp equipment except for going up mountains where I could not even meet the 55 mph speed limit so expect the new rav to hanndle that even better

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Fun little in-town car

by from San Diego on January 14, 2013

Fun to drive, Not a luxury car, nice little commuter that holds a lot. Great on gas. I use the Rav4 to get to and from work about 5 miles each way. I also have horses and need to hall feed from time to time and this little SUV does it all. Recently put 10 bags of shavings in it with no trouble at all. I needed a car with good gas mileage and could hall feed, and large dogs. This Rav4 seems to do it all with ease. So far I love it. Don't think i would like it on a long trip.

Great Solid Driver

by from NE Pa. on January 21, 2013

Drove them all found the Rav 4 to be the most solid feeling Cross over in it's class. Nice feel on the hi-way, great brakes, comfortable firm but not harsh ride.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)