2013 RAV4

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Crashed

by New Toyota RAV 4 Owner from BC Canada on September 8, 2013

Just got the RAV4 and had a horrific crash into a semi , whole front , and rt. door torn off . Most people would be dead in this type of crash . All 8 airbags saved them from injury. The RAV 4 saved my family , they walked away from a certain death .

RAV4 - Much improvement!

by Anne in Virginia from Gloucester, VA on January 19, 2013

I disagree with the reviewer that removing the 3rd Row option from the RAV4 was a mistake. It was silly to offer such an option in a small SUV - not even a child could fit. I'm sure demand was very low so Toyota made a wise business decission. I just purchased a 2013 yesterday and I love the new design. I had a 2010 4 Cylinder RAV4 before and have always been happy with the 4 Cylinder. I have driven a V6 in the past and did not see the need for a V6 in this car. I have plenty of power and in the new RAV4, I have Eco and Sport mode. Hurry out and test drive one. I love my Display Audio and the Bluetooth setup in about 60 seconds.

Better Size Engine/MPG than the other SUV's.

by New SUV Owner from Southeast Florida on September 17, 2013

I looked for over 6 months and primarily focused my interest on the Honda CRV because of it's size and style inside. Then when I came across the 2013 new RAV4, there were only two things that caught my eye: 2.5L engine and 30mpg gas. A bigger engine with better gas mileage? Cool! Took the test drive - there are 3 models and two wheelbase sizes 17 inch in the Base and XL model and 18 inch tires for the Limited. I test drove both - the 18 inch drove much smoother (the new car is stocked with Bridgestone tires). I like the drive, the features and room (especially the backseat) of the Limited. However, the engine is an electronic 6 speed that does make a "wining" noise when accelerating. The radio drowns it out. The car is fast, good acceleration, good gas mileage and nice interior (it's not real leather - it's a imitation leather, according to the dealership, because it is lighter and more humane than using real leather. Everything about the car is focused on "lightness." of all aspects - body, engine, transmission, etc., which all leads to better gas mileage for the bigger engine. Works for me!

Best small suv

by Senior citizen from Fernandina Beach, Fl on May 5, 2013

The changes made to the 2013 are excellent. I would have bought a Honda CRV if Toyota had not changed the lift gate and spare tire. I waited four months for the RAV4 to get manufactured and delivered to local dealerships. It was worth the wait! I bought the Limited model and love the options that come on that model. I have had the vehicle three weeks and have been getting excellent gas milage. There is nothing that I don't like about the vehicle. Bob S

Happy so far

by Al from Bloomington MN from Bloomington MN on March 7, 2013

Have owned only 3 weeks but am happy with my choice. Was also seriously considering a Honda CRV and looked at several other crossovers (every make has one and they all look about the same). Preferred the RAV4 XLE (FWD, cloth seats) exterior and interior design and the timing chain (vs. CRV's belt which requires major $ to replace at 80,000 miles). Also dealer provided lifetime powertrain warranty at no additional cost. Toyota made some nice improvements on the 2013 model vs. prior ones. Hopefull still one of the most reliable cars made.

Nice Ride

by RAV4 Randy from MPLS, MN on May 6, 2013

Bought a 2013 RAV4 XLE. Just returned from a 600 mile round trip and averaged over 35 MPG traveling 65-70 MPH. It was a quiet, smooth ride. Very Happy with it. The only thing I would like is a more versatile center console that fits a cup with a handle, and maybe a more solid hood. Over rough roads the hood flexes some. It is a minor issue, just an aesthetics type thing. No regrets buying it so far.

Thankfully I don't do a lot of driving...

by Amanda from Fair Lawn, NJ on April 1, 2014

I drove a 2009 Rav4 LE for almost 5 years and absolutely loved it. Now that I have the new 2013 Rav4 LE, I find myself wishing at times that I still had my old one... I was given a brand new, 15 miles on the odometer, 2013 Rav4 from the dealership just over 2 months ago. I definitely like the interior more than the 2009 version with the back up camera, touch screen display, bluetooth, etc., but I also miss a couple of the old features too. I feel like there's less storageup front and the extrerior tends to scratch very easily. A lot of plastic additions and kind of silly to see fake plastic parts where lights would go on a higher edition. I don't have a far commute to work, so my gas mileage has been pretty decent, but I've never felt 100% comfortable in the car. I didn't even get off the lot yet, before turning the car around to ask why the brakes were making noise -- I was told they had to be "broken in" because it was sitting on the lot for so long. Brought the car back 4 days later because the bluetooth wasn't working correctly. I was told by 2 different people (including a specialist) that they didn't know how to fix it and I needed to bring it in for service. Fast forward 2 months and the car has less than 2,000 miles on it. Not only does the transmission and acceleration make me nervous -- down shifts very quickly and has "jumped" forward on a couple occassions when putting the car into reverse. The engine has also been making a "squealing/whining" noise since I first got it when driving below 45mph and has a difficult time driving up hill. I've had to put my foot almost to the floor for it to accelerate. I plan on bringing the car in for service in the next couple of weeks and make note of these problems. My 2009 Rav NEVER had a problem in the 4+ years that I had it. No engine noise, comfortable, no leaks, etc. I loved that car...this new one, is not so impressive. I think Toyota is a great car, but I'll think twice about getting another Rav4 once my lease is up in 3 years.

Does not recommend this car!!

Poor interior design

by Hiker from Maine on September 16, 2013

Top glove box no door? front console area only has one side, things fall onto floor, no auto headlights, can't see display in sunlight, we purchased an XLE, it came with a sun roof, but you can't get a power seat or leather or interior hatch release. Mechanically it is Toyota, but the interior design and options are from another world. We tried a limited but that Softex is a poor substitute for leather.

RAV 4 Limited

by BJ from Las Vegas on March 4, 2013

This car drives and handles much better then Honda CR-V EX-L. Can't go wrong for the price and reliability rating. if your are in compact SUV market consider this car.

Enjoying the RAV4 Limited

by Sportfit from Stone Ridge, VA on February 11, 2015

I've been very impressed with the vehicle so far. I came from an Acura RDX, which cost considerably more, but didn't offer any more features than the RAV4 Limited - and guzzled premium gas at 20 mpg. Although the Acura was more powerful, the RAV has plenty of pickup for all daily and highway driving. Pop it into Sport mode, and you get even quicker acceleration; or maximize your mileage in Eco mode - I average 25 mpg (about 60% city). I tested this SUV against the Mazda CX-5: although the Mazda may have been slightly sportier to drive (but not much), it fell way short of the RAV4 inside. The RAV is much more comfortable, roomy, and has all the luxury features (Nav, Bluetooth, etc.) that the RDX had. I love the two-tone Terra Cotta interior. On the road, the ride is a nice balance between firm and shock-absorbing; it's not a Lexus, but it's quiet enough to make hands-free calls or listen to music (without blasting), and it handles all bumps smoothly. The sound system is quite good, and the navigation is adequate, though it has trouble finding points of interest. At 23,000 miles, I've had only two very minor issues: the rear hatch auto-opening mechanism (which I LOVE) had to be replaced (under warranty) when it failed, and the dashboard has started to rattle/squeak just a little, but only when the weather is below freezing. Unless the car falls apart, I expect to be happy with the RAV for years to come.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14