1998 Sienna

1998 Toyota Sienna

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 1998 Toyota Sienna?

Reliable but Quirky, not what I expected. But OK

by Mike from Houston on Mon Jan 10 2011

I have many of the problems in the earlier post. Replaced Front Steering Gear, Components, and rear Suspension due to failure from road hazards. However, Starter goes out at 125,000 miles on the dot. Lost one Firing Unit, Doorhandles are atrociously badly designed and I can't open either rear door from inside. They are absolutely the worst feature of Toyota's van line. I've heard several owners complain. Window sticks open (Weak Motor). On the plus side, Engine, Tranny, A/C and Power Steering and Brakes are all original at 307,000 miles. So it's OK, I guess.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great minivan, real quiet

by Bought another from Fort Wayne, IN on Sun Feb 08 2009

This van has been to Canada and back and all over the midwest. Handles predictably in all kinds of weather, and a quiet ride on any surface. Very reliable and easy to maintain. I'm a Toyota believer, and just bought a newer model of the Sienna. You can't beat the versatility of a minivan.

135,000 miles and still going strong.

by Tech Writer from Boston, MA on Mon Feb 19 2007

I love this minivan - best car I have ever owned. Only minor complaints such as the back wiper doesn't fully clear the rear window - they changed this on later models. Had some problems with front struts and both had to be replaced - pricey repair. Turning radius isn't great, but on the whole a fabulous vehicle. Very, very reliable. Except for the front struts, no major repairs at all. Holds air conditioning well, which is more than I can say for our other cars (Nissan Murano and Honda Accord).

Love my 98 Sienna!

by Rhoda from North Carolina on Sat Sep 12 2015

I bought new. I loved it from the moment I saw it and even more after test driving it. It is the XLE model, fully loaded. I was never sorry I bought it. I sold my 90 Lincoln Town Car, great car also but thought if I was going to use it like a van ,then I should buy one. Other than reg. Maintenance, and new motors for the winged windows (Warrenty), which have broke again. I decided I didn't need them at the price of and repair. It I has 197,+ miles. It is showing wear and tear of course. Still going strong. I was thinking of buying the 2015 but found out it has a timing belt and it has to be changed periodically at a very high cost. So I am rethinking. Otherwise I would own it by now.

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE

by AjAg from Plano, Tx on Thu Mar 23 2017

In 17 years of our ownership, it has been one of the most reliable auto we have owned. It has 164 k miles currently and can easily do another 100k, 7 years. No Achilles heel noted. Some door rattle by age. Transmission rebuilt, steering rack, one front wheel bearing, D/S CV half axle, outer tie rod replaced. Oil leaks from valve gaskets and lower intake required replacement due to age. Dashboard and cockpit plastics lasting well. Dashboard plastics tend to creak in cold. Interior and roof lining fared much better than other cars we have owned.

Very reliable and a smooth ride

by Alicks from Mount Airy, MD on Sun May 01 2011

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It now has over 315,000 miles on it. Other than normal wear items, the only things I've replaced are a couple of door handles (easy to replace yourself) and a window motor (had to have a mechanic do that one). So I've owned it for 12 years and driven it 315k miles and spent only around $300 over that entire time on non-wear repairs. And it still gets around 21MPG overall. Only negative that I can think of is that I'd love to have seats that fold into the floor. But no minivan had this feature when I bought this one so its hard to complain.

Pretty Reliable Seinna

by JHall170 from Lakeland, FL on Wed Jul 26 2017

This has been a pretty reliable car for me. I have had to do somethings to it. As it was not maintained as good as it could have been. The door handles are a weak spot. Although the engine and transmission are pretty solid on these vehicles. Hope this review was helpful to readers.

We bought a lemon

by Family Van from on Thu May 07 2009

We purchased a 1998 Toyota Sienna after reading all of the wonderful reviews on them. The van had very low mileage on it, and we thought it would be a great running van. However, in the past two years of owning it we have put over $3,500.00 in mechanical repairs (not including normal wear and tear items such as tires, etc.) into this van. We were suprised at this as the van had such great ratings by everyone. Our biggest problem has been in the steering. We have taken it to dealership four times for the same steering problem, and each time have been told it is something else causing the problem. As of today, the problem is still not corrected. The hardware in this van is terrible. We have had to replace all four outside door handles. The inside locks stick. The electric windows occasionally get stuck in the open position. The seat belt locks do not work properly in two of the seats. I think our car just turned out to be the lemon of the Toyota Siennas. We will not be purchasing another Toyota van. We were greatly disappointed in this van.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Van

by TRD JEFF from Los Angeles on Sat Jan 09 2010

I am sorry the person in a previous post is having problems with their Sienna, the non operational seat belts tell me this van was in an accident where the airbags deployed and they did not replace the seatbelts. It also sounds like it may be a flooded vehicle, you should have an ASE Master certified technician have a look at it. You may also want to run a Car Fax. Steering problem also said a lot, your car may still have suspension or frame damage.

The most reliable, family friendly vehicle I owned

by Terrfic Toyota from on Tue Mar 21 2017

Bought our Toyota Sienna XLE in 1998. Loved it from the moment we saw it. Have owned it for 19 years, has around 135,000 miles on it. Perfect for transporting or chauffeuring your kids, parents from one place to another. Would absolutely recommend it to a friend with family.

1 2

Our Take on the 1998 Toyota Sienna

Toyota finally has produced a minivan that could give the domestics a run for their money.

The Sienna is the same sort of rolling jelly bean being produced by Detroit's Big 3, emulating the spacious front-drive configuration pioneered by Chrysler. As such, it has nearly the same styling, interior setup, driveability and utility of Plymouth Voyager, Ford Windstar, Chevrolet Venture or Mercury Villager.

Toyota's previous minivans never quite cut it, though the midengine Previa had some style and substance. Unfortunately, a four-cylinder engine was the only power available and didn't compare well with the powerful V-6s and maneuverable front-wheel drives offered elsewhere.

The Sienna is based on... Read More