Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1992 Tercel

1992 Toyota Tercel

1992 Toyota Tercel

4.0

3 out of 5 stars Comfort
3 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 1992 Toyota Tercel?

Keeps on going!

by here4unow from Tn on Wed Sep 21 2011

Bought this little sucker (92 tercel) when I was really needing wheels. Paid the guy 500 bux for it. She had 296,000 miles smoked a lil. I figured I would putt around for about 6 mos. then have to bury it. WRONG, 3 years later upto 320,000 miles now. Still smokes a lil,no more then when I got it. Gets 38 mpg. 4 spd manual tranny. It has never left me stranded. I love to drive this car, it's not very pretty to look at, but I pass broken down,pretty cars on the side of the road all the time (LOL)! Anyway....LOVE IT!

best car for the price

by tightwad from Aurora, CO on Sat Jul 03 2010

I recently had the timely belt changed. Before, I was getting 38 mpg. Now I get 42-44 mpg. One complaint, NO, AC.

Best Car Ever

by ToyotaLover from Denver,CO on Wed Jul 27 2011

I have had a Toyota Tercel for 13 years and think it is the best car ever. I bought it used, and it has never broken down on me. I get fantastic gas milage, and it does great in the ice and snow. As a plus I have always felt super safe driving in it. I have been in one accident, and my Tercel barely had a scratch on it. The only downsides are no AC or cupholders in the model I own. If I could I would drive it for the rest of my life. Perfect car for getting around town!

Cheapest Car I Have Ever Owned

by Tylerjr from Winnipeg MB on Sun Nov 19 2017

This was my first car that I bought over a decade ago now. back in 2005 I was almost 16 had a summer job and thought heck I want to buy myself a car fix it up and have something to drive right away when I got my license. there was a decent condition 1992 grey Tercel sitting a few doors down I seen in sitting in one spot forever one day in the summer I seen the owner out in his yard and started talking to him about the car. it started and ran no problem but did not drive went into gear but made a horrid grinding noise. my step dad being a mechanic of Japanese cars came down after to hear it and have a look. well in any case he knew what it was but did not want to say it around the owner. needless to say the cheapest car I will ever buy in my life time, I offered him $200 and he took it in a heart beat. we pushed it a few doors down to the garage closed the door popped off the wheels my step dad hammered in the axle, it was fixed and good to go again. it did burn oil when i bought it (common on old engines) Changed the valve seals did a complete tune up and it ran like a dream. the only time the car cost me a decent chunk is when I accidentally drained the diff and the transmission meaning to just drain the transmission, well transmission had fluid diff did not get refilled (rookie mistake) I felt like impressing my step dad at 16 yrs old and wanted to do it completely by my self no input from him like usual. it drove for 2 weeks without fluid in the diff we could not figure out the source of this weird creaking noise during that time. one day I needed to head over to the shop my step dad works at, I was on the highway when the diff failed. I made it to his shop but stopped once cause the car started jerking like crazy like the engine was about to seize so I checked all the fluids I could etc all looked good my step dad checked it out before I left nothing out of the ordinary (no longer on the highway producing high heat) I made it past two under passes suddenly the car starts shaking and jerking violently i go from 100kmh to 0 in a moments time tires screeching no brakes applied stalled out thought my engine died. well was in the fast lane too very dangerous situation. managed to start it and limp it to the side of the road where i phoned my step dad to pick me up. later that day it was towed to the shop and he found out that I by mistake drained the diff too. $350 later for a used transmission and half a day learning how to change a transmission later it was back on the road as if nothing happened. I bought it at 185000 kms it went all over canada by the time I owned it had all the documents in the glove box when I bought it logging the kms when it reached each capital city, the maintenance done at those kms. Oil/fluid changes, brake maintenance, control arms and bearings (common wear and tear items) is all i ever needed to do on this car and the tires once. I only ever spent max $1500 in the entire 7 years of ownership. my sister was rear ended by a pickup truck, Tercel was left with no damage the trucks bumper did not fair as well. our insurance company wrote it off due to age sadly. anything 10 years or older as of 2005 in my province is a write off if any claims are made on the car, they want all old cars off the road is the reason. I would be rocking it as my winter beater today if I still owned it and that accident never happened. these are bullet proof cars they only die if you purposely try or make a silly mistake like myself there. otherwise they just keep on going.

Keep on Looking

by Older and Wiser Car Shopper from Milwaukee, WI on Fri May 13 2011

I bought a 1992 Tercel in 1999 when I was finishing college. After a series of barely running, hand-me-down cars, it was my first used certified Toyota Dealership car. I had it inspected by another Toyota Dealer. I heard great things about Toyota reliability...blah, blah, so I bought it. The car had 60,000 original miles and got a clean bill of health. I meticulously maintained it and got all recommended service done. I have never spent so much in recommended maintenance as I did with this car. At 75,000 miles the car started burning oil. By 85,000 I had plumes of blue and white smoke everytime the car started (be it summer or winter). Toyota dealers could never figure out what was wrong with it. Needless to say, it didn't pass emissions. I spent the state required emissions service to have the car pass. I ended up getting rid of the car for $100 (no one else wanted it without it passing emissions). I would recommend buying a Saturn or something newer for the same price or slightly higher. I found out the engines on most of these Tercels begin to self-destruct at 100,000. If it makes it past that with no issues, you're a lucky one. They were cheap throw away cars. I was burned by this over-priced Toyota. Now I buy American. I've never had the same issues with any of my American made cars. Keep on looking!

Does not recommend this car!!

Excellent economy vehicle

by rlewizr from Jackson, Missouri on Thu May 25 2017

We bought this as a bank repo. Never had a problem with it. Basic maintenance, gas and go. Put over 130K miles on it. Excellent fuel economy. Exceptionally reliable. Highly recommend for a high school or college student or someone with a lengthy commute.