1998 Cabrio

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio

5 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio?

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by VW from Providence, RI on Sat Mar 07 2009

I own a 1998 VW Cabrio. This is the first "German" car that I have ever owned. I was in the market for a 4 cyl. 5 speed, 4 passenger " American" car. The closest thing I could find was a Sunfire. The engine was soaked in oil at 80,000 miles. I then started to look at the imports to see if one could fit my list of must haves. The cabrio seemed to be perfect. I would have to say that it has been the best car that I have ever owned. The gas milage is amazing...why buy a hybrid? This thing sips on fuel. The 5 speed is really fun to drive. The top is manual too (less things to break) Since they stopped making these cars, More people stop and ask what it is.... I took off the Cabrio emblems & added some really nice wheels & I had the car painted. I figure if they don't know that it's a VW, I tell them it's a Porsche! Hey it's made in Germany too!

Fun Car to Own!

by Phoebe on Tue Jun 12 2018

Maintains its style and flair, drives like a sports car, hugs the road, small car with solid eel and can take on the road like any other, fuctional convertible. head turner. quality.

only car i have owned, but so

by loves cabrio from pennsylvania on Mon Dec 29 2008

my first car was a cabrio. I taught myself to drive it, though i learned stick in a saturn, i crashed my car, but the whole cabin was safe. My front was pushed in but i wasn't hurt. I trust these cars now with my life. They are nice to paralell to park because they are so small, you are usually given enough space for an average size car, but with a cabrio you fit in easily. I would def. think about getting a cabrio, they are cute, safe, and pretty affordable, you get the worth.

Very attached to my car!!

by cabrio surf&turf from North NJ on Tue Feb 25 2014

I bought my 1998 Cabrio in 2006 with 50,000 miles. I am the second owner and the car has been not only fun to drive but dependable, affordable & stylish! It was in mint condition when I bought it, with leather interior, pop out stereo, and some small detailing to exterior. I now have 117,500 miles, have had very few repairs in the soon to be 8 years I have owned it!! I just had a new exhaust system installed & have been advised to get new timing belt--I have maintained the car with regular service, oil changes etc--the car is showing a decent amount of rust right above wheels--I drive it to the beach all summer long, top down--and it has survived winters in NJ & OH. I put many miles on the car in the last 4 years driving back and forth to OH ( approx. 10 trips all together) and road trips to MA, MD, DC, NYC, Long Island, CT, PA, WV --- great gas mileage, the car has been a great fit for me, I love that it can park practically anywhere with no sweat, it fun to maneuver---the electrical system is a little quirky--but no major problems or expenses in 8 years. I wish I could find another in such great condition--its going to be tough to find another car I like as much or that has been such a great car. Cant imagine driving any thing else.....

No Worries

by total convert(ible) from St. Paul, Mn on Mon Nov 01 2010

I've owned my Cabrio for 8 years and it is hands-down the best vehicle I've owned in my 35 years of car ownership. The car handles amazingly, gets "green" gas mileage, and has been extremely reliable, even in Minnesota winters (with snow tires, of course). Ongoing routine maintenance has kept expenses to the usual tires, brake pads, and mufflers. I'm sad VW no longer makes them, but as I can expect to get high mileage I'll be drop-topping for many years to come.