2005 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

4.0
Average based on 6 reviews

Better than Honda!

by from Allentown, PA on June 25, 2008

After owning Hondas and Acuras, VW's TDI has the advantage of being more reliable, more fuel efficient, and much more fun to drive. I often meet other TDI owners at the diesel pump with well over 250,000 miles or more on theirs. With over 120k on mine, it still runs great and is fun to drive. Very little maintenance, everything except tires and timing belt are original! At highway speeds the engine just purrs at a low RPM. As a driver's car with economy and safety, it is a great commuter car. The hatch and flip-forward seats make this a practical car. This is a well-build car that even maintains proper tire alignment better than most. To date, the best car I've owned!

Has some good qualities but . . .

by from Chicago, IL on March 12, 2008

My wife and I bought our Golf new in 05. After three years, we still like it's design, driveability and the many safety features the car offers. However, we've had nagging problems with burnt out lights both inside and outside the car and the overall maintenance costs seem high. With that said, we probably would still buy another VW especially the upcoming Clean TDIs.

Best car ever

by from NV. on March 16, 2014

Hard to find, fun to drive, great gas mileage, I bought mine five years ago used, and never had a serious problem. love my golf!!!

Best car i have owned

by from new jersey on July 2, 2014

Looking for a new one my last one lasted 250,000 miles and only want a new car that has been taking care of and from a dealer i can trust

Beware this money pit!

by from Mesa, AZ on April 12, 2009

I've owned this car for 2 years (was certified pre-owned) and it is a total money pit. Dealer did all my maintenance, which cost thousands over the past two years. Just got the word that the car needs a new cam shaft at 70K miles, which is ridiculous. This is a fine car otherwise, so if you don't mind throwing all your hard earned money at it to keep it running, go for it!

Nice car

by from Charlotte, NC on July 7, 2010

Nice diesel car with great fuel economy. Good interior design. Well selected sets of features. It definitely worth to consider.