2013 Volkswagen Golf R

Awesome!

by from Oakland, CA on December 5, 2012

This car handles great! The ride can be a little bumpy on rough roads but far better than others like the Mazdaspeed 3. I put around town and it feels like an economy car with 27 mpg highway, but step on it and go through a turn and its a finely crafted german auto. Its a whole lot of fun to drive with just the right amount of power at 256hp. The Golf R is a practical sportscar for everyday driving.

FUN, while not being impractical as a daily driver

by from Orange County NC on November 17, 2015

The Golf isn't the fastest car I've driven, but it's the perfect balance of luxurious, "quick through traffic" and practical. It's fast, but definitely not a gas hog. I have hit "3-digits" but it is best as a fun commuter that can pass on a moment's notice while keeping 4 people in comfort. I couldn't find the same balance of comfort for 4, performance, and (relative) practicality in any other car. With a slightly used car, I got this performance at a VERY reasonable price. This is definitely a "driver's car".

A nice Autobahn runner

by from wilmington,de on November 25, 2012

I previously owned a 2010 4-dr GTI 6-speed and it was a very nice car. I knew going in that the 2013 R would not have a massive power advantage but is quicker, but I'm still very happy overall. I have had a few German cars and they all have a certain feel that this car has even with four wheel drive. The fit and finish are excellent, panel gaps are tight, the seats are great, the gearbox is smooth and precise, and the power steering superb. Most cars seem to have a cruising "sweet spot" and in the GTI it seemed to be 65-75 mph, driving home with the new R I found myself going 80-85 mph before I looked down and noticed. Tires are the Pirelli A/S Nero's, and will be replaced with a better A/S when these are done. Gas mileage could be better; 18-20 in town and maybe 27-29 on the highway, would be better if I drove slower, but why? I really wanted the Scirroco because it's much sexier looking, but it won't be coming here. VW charges and gets a lot for this little car, but people buy them and they seem to retain good value. I'm very happy overall and would buy it again.

awesome title

by from toledo, oh on August 20, 2012

For all of you enthusiasts out there i would love to say that this is the best volkwagen i have yet to own!! and for everyone looking out there in the field honestly try it out and you will not be sad, but you will have the biggest grin on your face and it wont stop. around the corners this car hugs and tugs along with not stop whats so ever!! launching in this car IS AMAZING, it just pulls you and pulls and shifting is flawless and smooth. For me I would say this is the biggest bang for your buck, and its honestly the same as a audi tts, so there is a win win in this situation! Honestly try it out and you will love every single second you drive that bad boy!!!

High Performance and High Comfort

by from Birmingham, AL on July 24, 2014

Outstanding car. Has all the bells and whistles I wanted. Had been searching for R series for two years. Found through cars.com. Very smooth manual transmission.

Fun car to own!

by from Indianapolis, IN on April 1, 2017

Great car to own! Fun car to daily and have fun with. Not the cheapest to service, but definitely worth the price! Rare as well!

Our Expert Review: 2013 Volkswagen Golf R