2004 GTI

4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Expensive Fun

by Everett from Chicago, IL on March 20, 2009

I've owned a GTI for 4 years now and they have been filled with ups and downs. Our GTI has the 1.8L Turbo which offers never ending fun, when it's working. The looks are nice, the finish on the interior is really nice except for a very cumbersome cup holder, and it's a pretty efficient car (31mpg from SD, to IL). We looked around for a long time before deciding on the GTI, and made our decision based on the test drive. I could never recommend this car to a friend, however, because we have spent more money in the last 2 years on this car for maintenence than for car payments. We have seen everything from broken dip stick tubes which dripped on and ruined the catalytic converter (we still OBD code for the catalytic), to all the ignition coils blowing 1 by 1. Sadly I have paid way to high a price for having a fun driving car, I just want something that works now.

Does not recommend this car!!

Good City Car

by Tony from Boston, MA on January 29, 2010

The car is a nice blend of performance and practicality. I have the 4 cylinder 1.8T. It has nice pep and but won't dazzle. On the highway it's at its best at 2800 rpm. Tried and true engine that I haven't had any problems with at 82K miles now. If you live in an urban environment, this is a an easy car to maneuver and park. Large windows make for excellent visibility, no blind spots. Hatchback is very practical for maximizing storage space in a small car.

This car saved my life....

by Practical driver with an acceleration complex from Boston, MA on November 1, 2008

What can I say? I loved my GTI. It was sporty and quick and it attracted a few stares, too. Her real test, though, was her final one. I hydroplaned out around a corner and ran into a utility pole. Walked away from the accident without a scratch. The car, unfortunately, was totaled. I'm sure, had I been in any other car, I would have been dead. If you want a safe, practical, and fun car, I could recommend no other.

1.8T GTI Affordable Sports Hatch

by Euro-Addict from Spring Hill, FL on May 21, 2007

I have driven many imports and domestics, but this by far has the best bang for the buck. The 1.8T has plenty growl in the midrange to upper RPM, along with sticky handling with minor slippage at max limits of the stock tires.

Best Sporty Sedan Hatchback ever done

by TopoMaister from Miami, Fl on August 7, 2007

its not a Honda S2000, but runs just the same, the look its so cool, not intimidating like the Charger, no body would believe that you have 180 HP under the hood, fun to drive and responds to acceleration whenever you need to, the best car I have ever droved. The only flaw is that is a Turbo, so the first gear won?t respond as you would like to, but on the long run, like racing from 2nd gear... go for a test drive and tell me how it is, you wont hesitate to spend $17,000 in something like this, you'll get a $34,000 value car for half of the price.

Great Bang for the buck

by Got to have Performance! from Virginia on September 17, 2008

I purchased my GTI in 2004 and I've been sold on VW ever since. I wanted a German engineered car but not ready for the BMW price tag. 180 hp out the door with a $350 chip including the install, 210 hp plenty of power to weight. Only complaint has been some of the interior plastics. My armrest is broken just a cheesy construct. Also I have been traveling so the car has sat for greater than 3 weeks at a time. It developed a leak through the door seal. I don't know what's up with that and my hatch won't open for some odd reason as if the lock is frozen. Some minor quality issues given that overall the only out of pocket expense thus far has been oil and recently, brakes. Stll going strong @ 74(+)K miles. When my 6-7 year time frame is up I may pick up a Tiguan. Appreciate the VW product!

Very appropriate size and performance for me.

by trainlee from Middletown, CT on September 15, 2007

The GTI has style, performance and economy way above its' price point. The handling is excellent without a hint of punishment. The fuel mileage is even better when guaged beside the performance. Passing from cruising speed is superior while many vehicles with lower torque curves can take it off the line. (Yes, I was beaten by a Jetta deisel.) I have always enjoyed the support of the local dealership and the factory when it comes to servicing my VW. The experience with the GTI has reinforced this. The 2004 is a great buy used, and I, for one, prefer its' traditional style to the newer version.

Longest car I?ve owned

by Dally from Ft Lauderdale fl on March 9, 2018

I got the car used at 160000 miles and it lasted well into 190000 and is still going strong. It?s never left me stranded and I?ve never felt worried it wouldn?t start in the morning. I recently purchased a Chrysler 200 and notice features that I wish it had from my gti.

most dependable and fun car I've owned

by mikedz from atlantic city, new jersey on May 25, 2017

I've owned this car for the past 3 years and since then have driven about 50,000 miles. My gti has never let me stranded and is by far the most dependable car I've owned and driven