2006 GTI

4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

Best of the best

by madprof44 from Chicago on September 15, 2009

I've owned German cars since the 70's, Audis, Porsches (way back in the 70's), a short unhappy flirtation with MB, VW's aplenty. The Gti Mk 5 (I snagged one of the first in 2006) isn't the most luxurious, fastest, most capacious, or lightest on its feet. I'd have to hand out separate prizes in each category. But it pulls together everything I want in a car better than any I've ever owned. It is the first car I've owned with an AT and haven't regretted the decision ever. In sport mode it is really an electrically assisted manual, especially with the paddle shifters: you'll shift faster and more precisely than any performance driving instructor. With its different modes the car has several personalities on tap: nice in-town runabout with plenty of cargo space and enough spice to make it a lot of fun (wife loves it that way); thrifty very safe highway cruiser (30mpg at 80, with snow tires and all assists on beats 90's-era Audi AWD's hands down); great expressway commuter with assists on and AT set to auto-sport - at any speed a slight tap will have you pressed against the seat; and a grin-producing beast in the twisties in manual-shift/ ESC off mode (it's not completely off but lets you slide to the edge and saves your butt when you go beyond it). No matter how you're driving it you've got gobs of torque just waiting to be called on, no delay, no calculating how long reaching full power will take. In short, the wife having specified a comfortable ride and lots of cargo space, I thought this would be a nice compromise. What I didn't expect was that this would be the best car either of us has ever driven - and on cars, we've never agreed on anything, hard to get used to.

Best car in the range below $25k

by GolfGTI from Michigan on February 20, 2009

What a nice looking car. i bought my 06 GTI a little over a year ago and still love it. The performance / mpg ratio is awesome and you mostly average more than 28mpg. I put wintertires on it and the handling in the winter in combination with ESP is unbelievable. You are faster than any 4x4 truck or SUV. I would definitely recommand this car to anyone who is looking for a good quality car with a lot of features for the money.

It was love at first sight...

by Max from Ann Arbor, MI on January 25, 2013

I bought my 06 GTI in 2009 and to be honest, I couldn't have picked a better car. I bought it with 80k on it and now I'm up to 150k with zero issues. Expensive to maintain? Not at all, much like a domestic car you can take it to any of your local mechanics and they will work on it without hesitation. The most I have noticed is maybe a 10% increase in price but only when buying from an import shop. I push my car pretty hard and often run it through its paces, this car never lets up. Only upkeep I've had to do is the typical oil, tires, brake and annual stuff like a trans flush at 130k. I live in Michigan and it has surprised me time and again by tackling snowy country roads without hesitation. This car pushes most of its weight on the front axle, allowing extremely reasonable traction in any situation. I drive roughly 30k miles a year and this car is fantastic on gas mileage, I average roughly 33 mpg when I'm on a long trip. Don't be fooled by individuals who claim VW is overpriced, I have gotten far better value out of this car than any domestic competitor, no exceptions. If you want to compare it to a WRX or an Evo, take notice of the overall package. Evo may be faster but is really just a amazing drivetrain on a cheap platform. WRX is awesome but lacks the comfort of a daily commuter. If you want more power simply purchase a APR tune for $600 and you will up 35 hp/ 40 fpt! I absolutely love this car and will be purchasing a Golf R in a few months, VW has made a life long customer out of me.

Hot-hatch is back

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Rockford, IL on May 11, 2006

The new GTI is the perfect buy in class. It's 2.0T engine is absolutely incredible. Combine the engine with VW's new DSG and the car is amazingly fast. It has an air-conditioned glove box and armrest. The interior is put very well together too. VW has really brought back the original GTI's fun with today's saftey features. The new GTI is just amazing.

2006 new GTI

by Fan of the hot hatch!!! from Elgin, IL on July 11, 2006

When I first started looking at this car, I was dead set on a 6-speed manual. After driving the automatic with the DSG trans, I was sold. When in manual mode, it shifts smoother that any car I have ever owned. What a bargan for under 25K.

Love this car!

by Montana from Suawnee, GA on July 1, 2010

For 25K, there isn't a better balanced fun car. It's very quick, handles great, and is built solid. I love the fact that my two door fits 5 people pretty comfortably and the hatchback design fits a lot. The DSG transmission is amazing too!

One of the most Fun-To-Drive cars I have owned.

by SIgfod from Arlington, VA on January 24, 2011

This car was one of the most fun-to-drive cars I have ever driven. Reasonably quick, handles extremely well and is very comfortable as a daily driver. The rear seats fold flat to expand interior room. Very good car for the young professional.

Most sporty and well made car i've owned

by Bill from New Jersey on September 19, 2007

The GTI is fantastic in every which way, the interior is spectacular the performance is unbelievable for the price and the VW style isn't the best out there (more of a humorless german engineer's design) but its an all around great car for the price. Can't afford a porsche? get an audi. can't afford an audi? get a volkswagen - yea the GTI.

No Complaints

by VDub4Life from Chicago, IL on June 20, 2012

2006 GTI 2.0 turbo with leather and DSG transmission: 67K miles and counting. Favorite car I have owned and I've been driving for 18 years. It's fast, fun, fuel efficient, comfortable and handles amazing. And for all you manual shifting purists out there, don't knock the DSG until you try it. It shifts way faster and smoother than a manual and your leg won't fall off from sitting in bumper to bumper traffic all day like i do. No reliability concerns what so ever. Bottom line, keep up with the scheduled maintenance and this car will last you for many many years. What cost of service??? All newer model year vehicles have a high cost of service these days so what do you expect...

Perfection!

by Tornado Red from Las Vegas, NV on July 28, 2006

Purchased this vehicle in an attempt to save some money on my daily 150mile drive. Little did I know that this would turn out to be a complete love afair! I now look forward to the drive instead of with dread. I purchased it new and have the 1.8T model. Everything in it is just the standard option pack - I was thinking of it being just a commuter not a fun car - and I was very pleasently surprised that there is nothing that I would like to add.

1 2 3