1995 Jetta

1995 Volkswagen Jetta

1995 Volkswagen Jetta

4.3

Have You Driven the 1995 Volkswagen Jetta?

The most economical & reliable car I've ever owned

by Turbo Jetta from Los Angeles, Ca on Thu Jan 15 2009

1995 Volkswagen Jetta III 2.0 5-spd. When in fact you buy a used Vw Jetta like my car which had minor mechanical problems when I bought it. However those problems were taken care of. Now my car acts like it did when it was first sold. With reliability and dependability, and a gas saver 33mpg. The #1 item for any car is routine maintenance. The month you slack off & do not change the oil, spark plugs, etc. Is the day you can bet your car will break down somewhere. I bought my 95 Jetta 10 years ago, Feb2009. My car has never broke down, or left me stranded no place at all

Great fun to Drive but not to maintain!

by VW Joe from Fargo on Sun Jun 22 2008

I bought my 1995 Jetta VR6 GLX used about four years ago from the original owner. It had 46,000 miles, the red paint was close to dark pink (it didn't have the optional clearcoat), and a few trim items needed to be replaced. This car is unbelievable to drive. It is light so the VR6 provides substantial power for any driving situation. It handles well in mountain driving and performs well overall. I have owned many Volkswagens in my time; "59 Karmann Giah, '73 Super Beetle, '76 Rabbit, '79 Rabbit Diesel, ' 81 Dasher Diesel, '86 Vanagon, '88 Vanagon, '89 Jetta, '91 Vanagon, and my current '95 Jetta VR6 SLX. In my experience Volkswagens are not particularly reliable and not inexpensive to repair or maintain, however that is not the reason I bought them. They are cars that were fun to drive that have met my needs at the time (with the exception of the Dasher which I inherited and was an overall dog). Even the Vanagons were exceptional vehicles given I have four children and took cross country driving vacations. They all felt good to drive (except the Dasher). Even with the low miles of my '95 Jetta, to maintain it at the best performance level possible has been costly. There have been significant problems with the cruise control, air-conditioning, electric window lifters, seat warmers and, instrument lights and controls. I know the service writers and mechanics by first name at the dealership as well as the parts manager. It is unlikely that I will buy another Volkswagen, but I love the way each has performed and felt on the road (except the Dasher), especially the "95 VR6 GLX and will probably keep it forever. When I indicated that I wouldn't recommend the car to a friend I mean that I wouldn't without providing both positives and negatives. If the fun of driving is the top of the list then I would recommend it without reservation. If you read the professional review on this page he talks about comparing the VR6 GLX with a Passat and choosing the Passat because he felt it was a better car and value. Since that review the Passat has shown itself to be more or less a dud while the Jetta continues on.

A Delightful Lemon

by Zeus from Chicago, IL on Sat Feb 02 2008

This thing was a beauty to behold, but it was impossible to keep its various systems in working order, particularly the electrical system (it would have taken another $10,000 to keep everything in perfect shape over these last 10 years, which I did not do). When it was in great working order with the original high quality tires (through 1999 or so), it had amazing handling. Now, twelve years later, the most impressive thing about it has been the endurance of its original white factory paint.

Greatest Car ever made

by VW LOVER from Washington on Sat Aug 06 2011

well you dont get all the luxurys but you get realibaitiy i never had any problems with it.. good engine good transmission i get around 30 mpg its really nice powerfull 4 cylinder you feel like a 6 cylinder

I am very satisfied with this car.

by Lgs120555 from Hillsboro, Oregon on Fri Sep 01 2017

This car meets my needs for reliability, comfort and fuel economy. I had a van which died and was sharing a vehicle with my wife but the opportunity to purchase this car fulfilled my needs.

Problematic and Constant Maintanence

by Anni from on Wed Jan 06 2010

The engine runs great, suprisingly, which is the only reason why I keep dumping money into this car. However, the rest of the car seems like it was designed to flaw. Every thing on this car has broken and been replaced (besides the engine) in the past three years. It has been very expensive, not reliable at all, and constant maintanence. It is a fun and zippy car to drive though.

Extremely Sporty!

by Steelersguy from Mesa, Az on Thu Oct 19 2017

This was very fun to drive! Tyne model I had though the side rubber strips to protect from other people dinging your door peeled away and fell off constantly otherwise a very fun car to drive especially being front wheel drive it was great in snow! There were plenty of pockets in the door and dash to to store lots of things! I would get another Jetta in a heartbeat if Ever wanted a 4dr sedan again!

Our Take on the 1995 Volkswagen Jetta

The Volkswagen Jetta is probably the best car I've tested recently that I wouldn't consider buying. The problem is that there is a better car in the VW lineup that is too close in price to the Jetta.

Back in November I tested a 1995 Passat GLX, a bigger sports sedan with the same great V-6 engine as this week's test Jetta. It had a sticker price of just $400 more than the Jetta, which came loaded with everything VW offers, including a leather interior and a full menu of power accessories.

After spending a week behind the wheel of a mauve Jetta sedan, I wondered why anybody would opt for this car when for practically the same money you could get the Passat, which offers more room, better handling... Read More