1997 Volkswagen Jetta

I loved it but...

by from Buffalo, NY on September 6, 2017

I used to own the TDI (Diesel) version of this car for over a year. It was nothing but problems. I bought it and shortly after the engine went, then the heater core, then the rear end needed to be redone, the list goes on. I put so much money into it because i loved it for some reason but I left me with nothing. Sold it a couple years ago and came to find out the engine went again.

Looks good.

by from lancaster, pa on June 1, 2017

Jettas are known for being finicky when it comes to function of electrical components but ours was only prone to dying window buttons. Fun to drive, looks great.

nice car

by from ADELL,Wisconsin on May 30, 2017

its an ok car I am not used to driving such an old car only boight because my son totaled my truck last year

Broken Strut tower makes this an unsafe purchase

by from Wisconsin on March 17, 2014

You can overlook a lot, and for $1200 you'd expect some rust in the usual places, but the right strut tower is rusted and broken almost all the way around. One good bump or pothole, and you could lose control when it breaks and the strut comes up into the hood. Lot of oil all over the engine, too. This is my favorite Jetta, the Mark 3, and if you have the ability you might be able to fix it up with parts from another, but the strut tower is pretty scary.

Reliablity

by from Duncanville, Tx on November 23, 2011

The car I own now is a 97' VW Jetta GLS 4 door sedan, it is very comfortable and reliable. I absolutlely love my car, and I am looking to buy a newer stationwagon soon.

Superb!

by from Phoenix, AZ on April 16, 2010

I have the exact same car and it still runs great! Its the same year. I do regular maintenance to it (as every car owner should do) and it still runs good. The insurance is cheap and I get great mileage. Also, its a blast to drive and it handles like a Gem. I recomend it to college students or just anyone in general.

DO NOT buy this 13+ year old car

by from Denver, CO on March 25, 2010

This is not going to be that reliable older car. Parts are so expensive, and you will have to fix it often. The muffler alone was $600, and that doesn't include the labor to put it in. The newer models may be more reliable (?) but I am guessing the parts are still about the same, if not more expensive! Oh and my paint has been peeling and getting splotchy.

Great Car

by from Kansas on January 9, 2010

Fun to drive. A squirt or two of lock de-icer keeps the locks from freezing. Fuel economy 22 city and 29 highway. Manual windows roll all the way down in back.

amazing in the winter, if you can get into it..

by from holland mi on January 18, 2008

this car is really good in the snow.. but the only problem is you cant get in through the drivers side in the winter. the door freezes up, and you either have to wait 15 minutes for the car to warm up, or try and invent a way to get in through the passenger side. its pretty frustrating.

Our Expert Review: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta