1998 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

3.9
Average based on 7 reviews

Best Car I Knowed

by from Lancaster, PA on October 6, 2009

Stock this car was amazing. But the modification options are amazing. There are so many options with this vehicle. I really enjoyed the power the vehicle offered stock and modded. Stock this car gave me excellent gas miles and modded to. Cant really complain about anything. Just make sure if you buy used you make sure timing and pump has been done. It should be done around 80k-120k and again at 165k-174k.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by from baltimore on February 3, 2007

Bought a new jetta. Runs forever. I only traded for a new model with automatic because of a knee operation and it was difficult to drive a 5 speed.

Well rounded

by from Minnesota on September 22, 2006

Great car to have, long lasting. Dull interior, drive wonderfully in rain and snow. This car is reliable and performance in unbelievable for stock

Good Reliable car

by from Nicholasville on January 2, 2011

I have owned this car for 4 months. It gets good gas mileage and performs great. It is very clean. It is very reliable and has nearly new tires. It is a good car for a student. It is a bargain for the money.

1998 Jetta Automatic/most unreliable car to own

by from Milwaukie, OR on January 2, 2013

Don't buy Volkswagen Jetta with Automatic Transmission. This transmission has gone out 5 times. Including when it was on warranty and VW dealer said nothing wrong with it till the warranty was out. That cost $3000 for rebuilt transmission and since then I had it repaired four mor times. The VW automatic sucks!

Comfort +/Everything Else-

by from PA on December 5, 2009

I purchased this care 1 year old. I currently own the same vehicle.The only good thing that I can say about this car is the comfort/visibility. Everything else is just no good. The car is reliable, if by reliable you mean it will always start. I had window motors fail, suspension fail, power roof fail, trim fall off, fog lights fall off, antenna completely dry rot, a/c fail (more than once), and the radio is screwed up.

Good Little Commuter

by from Lancaster, PA on February 2, 2015

Owned this car thru college and got me everywhere I needed to go. Interior of the car held up. 2.0L motor was strong thru the day I sold it. Only major repair was manual transmission. If you change from 1st to Reverse without letting the car come to a complete stop it destroys the reverse and idler gear. I was trying to rock out of a snow bank, shifting quickly and ruined it. Otherwise I got 6 good years with no other maintenance.