2004 Jetta

4.2 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
3.7 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

MK4 Jettas are the best VW made.

by MK4 Jetta Lover from Hickory Hills on February 20, 2012

These Jettas are the best ones VW made. They are more reliable and less complcated than the newer MK5 and up models. 99-04s get great fuel economy and if they are properly maintained, meaning you DO NOT follow VW's very conservative maintenance guidelines, you will have a Jetta that lasts a long time. Change the oil every 4-5K miles, change the coolant every 50K miles, change the trans fluid every 50K miles and take care of little issues before they become big ones.

great little car

by just drive em from northern wi. on February 18, 2010

i bought my 1st jetta new in 04. after a fender bender with a deer and 210,000 miles and only the basic of maint i bought a used 04 with 150,000 less miles. thats how much i like it. oh ya i got my 1st break job the week before i traded it in.

Fun to drive, not to own

by The Jetta Driver from Gainesville, VA on November 25, 2008

I bought this car off the showroom floor and to be honest it has been a really fun car to drive. The acceleration is great as with the handling. The style is fantastic as I bought the 04 Jetta GLI 1.8T with the body kit and sports package. However the maintenince and poor customer service has ruined my experiance owning a VW. The warranty seems to be written in stone but the service reps regard it as a figurative thing. VW also did not put enough R&D into what the car should have and not what it looks like. The BBS RC rims matched with the 225/40/18 Eagle f1's do not hold up. I drive in the suburbs and I have had to replace all the rims and eight tires due to issues. Beware that the maintenence guide should be used but make sure you do all the items at least 10,000 miles before it says too or the parts will fail. Be sure to baby the car a bit as rough driving seems to increase the failure rate of many items such as the water pump and turbo. Overall I would recommend this car as a weekend car but not as a daily driver. I personally will not buy another VW because of poor customer service and lack of a solid warranty.

Does not recommend this car!!

2004 1.8T GLS - 80000 Miles and NO issues

by Vdub Pilot from Denver, CO on July 9, 2009

I've put all but 40 miles on this car, and it gets driven 340+ days/year. I'm meticulous about oil changes, and I look after my cars and motorcycles. in over 80k miles I've experienced nothing but a growing love for Vdub. I've heard that the coilpacks can go frequently, but I just replaced my originals at 78k miles. If you buy, make sure there is a nice service history! I plan on keeping this as my daily driver for a long time, and putting well over 150k.

VW Jetta GLI VR6

by PitchBlack from Los Angeles on October 15, 2009

I bought this car brand new and now have had the car for 5 years (75K miles). I havent had any major problems. The only major work I had done it was door lock ($400) and warped rotors ($400). The warped rotors may be caused by my after market rims and hot southern cali weather. I have it serviced every 10K religiously. I give it 91 octance gas (if you read the manual you should not put in gas less than 90 octane even if the dealer says you can; they are european designed and the lowest octance gas you can buy in europe is 98!!). I also give it synthetic oil. The power and handling/performance is great! I like everything about this car thus far and plan on keeping it for another 5 years when there are more electric cars come out. Mileage os good for a car that powerful. I get around 30miles/gallon most times although it is mostly highway miles. The only downer to the car so far it the interior quality. You find screws that you dont know where they come from...center consol latch breaks, oh and them door locks... Other than that, great car!

Great Car, With a Few Issues

by Cy from Sloatsburg, NY on December 26, 2007

I preface this review by saying that 3 years after buying this car, I still love it. The handling, power and extra features that come standard are very nice touches. Having said all that, VWs are known to have some small quality issues. Since owning mine, it's been in to have a problem with the dashboard display/odometer checked and I just had to replace one of the electronic lock modules on a door at a cost of about $400. I personally believe these issues would go away to a degree if VW would move its production to areas where cars are more commonly produced. At the price point at which they come, I think people expect a relatively high degree of reliability.

Silver Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T

by Mike from Naperville on June 3, 2008

I got this car used after selling my P.O.S. Pontiac Grand Am GT. General Motors seems to be really careless in their quality of their vehicles... I have to start out by saying that I love my Volkswagen Jetta. The leather seats are so plush and comfortable, even for myself (I am 5'11"). The turbocharged engine is really powerful and responsive and the automatic transmission works great. It has 5 gears, but I think it could use an extra gear to increase gas mileage, because when traveling on the highway (at about 75-80 MPH) the rpm ranges between 3,000 to 3,500--a bit high if you ask me. The design is absolutely flawless. It looks so elegant, yet so sporty at the same time. The optional 17" alloy wheels are a must--they really improve the look of the car. The sound system sounds great at any volume, and the heated leather gets nice and hot--fast! There are a couple things, however, that I would definitely change about the car. First off, a car with heated leather seats, I think, should come with power seats. The manual seats are kind of a pain, and it would definitely be a nice touch to have power seats. Also, automatic headlamps are not available for this year, and backseat space has a lot to be desired. Other than that, it is a great car. Watch out for those ignition coils though!! Mine went out the first week I had the car. It is a common problem that Volkswagen owners across the line experience in all of the Volkswagen models.

VW Jetta Sport Wagon TDI

by LLRS from Bozeman, MT on March 12, 2012

These are great cars. We found a manual transmission and absolutely love it. Not only is it extrememly fun to drive, but it handles very well in the mountains and in snow (so far). It is the turbo diesel and we don't have to down shift going up hills in the mountains at all. They are also very roomy cars. We have plenty of space for 4 and a dog. The regular maintenance is a little more than a gasoline fueled vehicle, but the gas milage is incredible. We got 500 miles on our first tank of fuel.

Jetta Review

by Jetta review from on January 26, 2011

Really nice car and great MPG in its class. Very good residual value since is very popular car there is a lot of demand for jettas.

Very reliable

by TDI lover from Hamilton, ON on March 15, 2014

I have the GLS TDI i get 1000 kilometers to a tank and I love it! the handling is just what you expect from a German car, not too quick off the line but has no problem cruising above 140 km/h very stable at high speed. Overall amazing automobile.

1 2 3 4 5