Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Jetta

2012 Volkswagen Jetta

2012 Volkswagen Jetta

4.5

Have You Driven the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta?

Best. Car. EVER! (Jetta TDI with Prem/Navigation)

by VW Convert from Boston, MA on Thu Sep 20 2012

I bought this car 3 1/2 months ago and I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm in love with my car. I almost didn't buy this car because the clutch was so funky (I drive manual transmission) but I'm so glad I didn't let that get in the way. A few days of driving the car and I got used to the clutch - now it's easy peasy and it never stalls on me. I needed a car that had manual transmission, had great performance, low maintenance AND great gas mileage. This baby had it all. At first I drove the car pretty fast, having fun with the acceleration & all.. the newness wore off eventually and I mellowed out - now on the highway, I can get close to 715 miles to a tank of gas (that's 50mpg!) but if I get stuck in traffic or do a lot of city driving, I'm averaging about 600-625 miles (or 42-43mpg) which is still pretty decent! Diesel RULES!! I got the Premium/Navigation package and boy am I glad I did. I use the Nav all the time, although at times "she's" taken me on some funky detours. Still, when I'm in unfamiliar surroundings or am forced to take alternate routes because of construction, it has saved my butt more often than not. I also use the sunroof a lot in the summer. The interior is pretty comfortable and interior design is pretty intuitive overall - although some of the features take some getting used to. I LOVE the fact that the windshield wipers have a bazillion different settings - it makes a huge difference when driving in various weather conditions. Haven't had a chance to try out the heated seats yet but I KNOW I'll love them when winter is here! A/C works as expected. Cargo space is awesome - it's amazing how much you can "stuff" in there! The ride is smooth and the engine is (for a diesel) pretty quiet. Sound system is great - love the touch screen! And the Bluetooth is just the greatest invention ever. I love that my Blackberry can connect to it automatically and I can take phone calls hands-free! The visibility on the driver's side is my only issue. The side bar between the front and back windows gets a bit in the way and I find myself having to lean forward and turning my neck more than I should have to in heavy traffic just to make sure nobody's sitting in my blind spot... This car has amazing performance, acceleration when you need it, takes curves like nobody's business (the car doesn't even tilt!) and did I mention outstanding gas mileage? That alone should make you want to get this car! This is my first VW.. and my first diesel. Now I know why I couldn't find any used ones! Nobody wants to sell their Diesels because they're such an amazing car!

VW TDI Wagon

by Davtw11 from Tampa on Mon Dec 17 2012

I bought a 2012 TDI Wagon new this year I have alrady put 36000 miles on the vehicle. I love the sytle and layout of the car. My biggest complaints with the car is the reliabiliy. After owning my car for 3 months the transmission began to shift oddly, I took the car in and did not get it back for 3 weeks. They told me I had a problem with the part that connects the motor to the transimission. Little things like lights and electric parts have broken ex. the visor. The hands free phone system is terrible. I am so sick of people telling me they cant understand me. I finally gave up on it. I have taken it to VW 3 times for the issue and they say its normal. I dont know if I could honestly recomend this car? I love and dislike it at the same time.

Does not recommend this car!!

Excellent bang for the buck

by Corey from Houston, TX on Mon Oct 29 2012

I have had my 2012 VW Jetta SE with Convenience Package and Sunroof for almost 5 months now. I love this vehicle. I have driven many BMW 3 series and can honestly say that this vehicle provides and performs in line with those. The car feels very well crafted and sturdy yet sporty on the road. It is not the most smooth ride, but still very comfortable and this adds to the sporty factor. Opting for the Convenience package gave me the large touchscreen radio with bluetooth, etc. and this is extremely useful and became a necesity rather than a perk over time. The sunroof is also great! The leather (vinyl) seats have held up well in terms of ware and cleaning, etc. While at only 11,500 miles, I have had zero issues with the car inside and out.? If purchasing new, the free scheduled maintenance at 10,20,30000 miles is a plus. My only things that would make this car a perfect ten would be adding Power Driver's seat, automatic headlights, and maybe even push-to-start at the SE level (You have to go up to SEL to get these). Overall, the features and performance of this car make it a pleasure to drive, and I'd definitely recommend it over competition. keep in mind that I chose this car new over a used recent-model BMW 3-series :-)

Nice ride!

by red rider from 95648 on Sat Sep 03 2011

The car is roomy, interior option colors are limited. Design for safety as they are know for has not been compromised which I like. Price could be a bit lower, but overall it is a good buy. There is a reason why sales for vw jettas are high in North America! Go research it!

Disappointed

by Slugdom from Lowell, Indiana on Wed Dec 26 2012

I bought this car new in July 2012. I've never owned a car that resonanted with the different speeds or forcing frequencies, from the speed of the engine. Plastic rattles, no leg room for the driver on the gas pedal side, rattle above the driver door. Storage compartment is difficult to reach while driving. Fuel economy is good, and I like shifting gears, car is fun to drive, but for the dollars, I'm looking at trading it in for something already. If VW really want's to have 100% satisfaction with it's customers they better get these ratttles fixed or more negitive writing.

2012 Jetta TDI Premium Package

by Mh47 from Hickory, nc on Thu Aug 30 2012

Great gas mileage! Exterior has sleek and clean styling this is what caught my eye; lots of options for the money. Have had this car to dealer several times for rattles; they fix one and another starts; and they seem to be weather related; due to lots of plastic. On my very 1st road trip to mountains the back window starting rattling; and continued the entire trip; this turned out to be 1st of many. I cannot get use to the corky transmission. I have almost 13,000 miles on the vehicle; a new rattle began this week in front dash. I would not buy another Jetta; I have learned that the Jetta is assembled in Mexico. I think VW has cheaped the car down. I always thought of German engineering when it came to VW. I looked at VW's for years before purchasing one; I am disappointed.

Lots of rattles

by STGiboney from Edmonds, Washington on Tue Jul 17 2012

I love the look and feel of my new 2012 Jetta. It handles and rides great. I could do without the constant rattles. I am constantly trying to find the next rattle. Lots of plastic used in the interior which leads to lots of rattles. The rattles are frquent enough and annoying enough that I would not buy the Jetta if I had it to do over. This is my first VW and will probably be my last. I am disspointed in my new car.

great economy, lousy seat

by kurt in mn from Minneapolis, MN on Mon Apr 23 2012

Love the handling, the power even at highway speeds, generally a well designed car, and I average 40 mpg city/hwy. However, the driver seat is really uncomfortable for me and the dealership was of little help in offering solutions. The ride is stiff and you feel every bump. I'll have to spend a lot of money to get a custom seat somewhere else. Other than that, if the reliability is good, it's an excellent workhorse-type car.

Absolutely love the model, I just hate mine

by Lemon Cello from Central NJ on Tue Jul 24 2012

I researched my new car for a long time since it was going to be my first new car in 15 years. I decided on the Jetta TDI with Premium package, and got a good deal from a dealership an hour from me. But when I picked up the car, the "check engine" light was on. The car spent 18 of the first 30 days I owned int in the dealership as they tried to figure out what was causing it. VW eventually settled on replacing the car, which will take several months. I'm still driving the original one while I wait, and it is great (average 45 mpg) and fun to drive. But it is plagued with transient electrical issues like seat belt indicator randomly chiming and the cruise control not operational. Hopefully the replacement will be free of issues, and then it will be a perfect car.

Surprised VW Owner

by Girl in the Fast Lane from Hickory, NC on Tue Jul 31 2012

I never thought the VW would be for me, but after driving it I fell in love! The GLI is fast, sporty, but still a reliable four door sedan! The interior is gorgeous and sleek. The VW is fully loaded and has very modern technology inside. The Fender Radio is amazing. A lot of car for a very competitive price!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

Our Take on the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta

Editor's note: This review was written in August 2011 about the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

What the Volkswagen Jetta TDI clean-diesel sedan lacks in electronic gizmos it makes up for with a rewarding driving experience and superior mileage.

Cars.com reviewer Mike Hanley reviewed the gas-powered Jetta, and you can read his review here. I'll focus on the diesel version I drove. While Mike and I agree on a lot, our impressions of the interior differ.

The Jetta sedan has been redesigned for 2011, but the previous generation continues in the station... Read More