2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

Top Replacement Cost

by from Biloxi, MS on June 14, 2010

If you're thinking about buying a new or used Beetle, one thing to consider would be the cost of the canopy replacement. VW will replace a canvas top for approximately 4,100 dollars (I didn't even ask for an estimate on a leather top!). Even an after-market canvas replaced by a shop other than VW can run about 2,600+. Be informed before you purchase. Hope this helps.

Great Starter Car!

by from SoCal on January 6, 2010

We have had this car for 5 years & now have 64k miles (bought is with 18k.) It was our daughter's first car at 16. I love the crash test ratings, the reliability, and the affordability of owning it! I like to borrow it when running errands - I feel younger & 'cute' in it and use less gas than my truck. She has been the envy of her friends in her bug. I never worry about her having problems with her car even driving in the mountains. As for the negatives out there - there are problems in any model sometimes. I have had my own lemon car, but I hear very few negatives about the bug.

Love the bug

by from on May 24, 2010

The funnest car I every drove. Love riding around in the spring and summer with the top down. Drives great in the snow. Gets alot of attention on the road.

Love this cute thing!

by from Costa Mesa, CA on October 31, 2011

Had my 2004 beetle gls turbo convertible for over 30,000 miles. It was so quick!!!!! I always got compliments. The leather interior was great, loved the seat warmers, great for summer to go top down! Never replaced anything on it.

Not a Single Problem

by from on July 23, 2009

Our 2004 Beetle convertible has never been in the shop except for scheduled maintenance. It handles exceptionally well, due to being heavy, low, and wide. You can fit an AMAZING amount of cargo in it, since you can put the top down and load things in easily. I'm surprised at the negative reviews. Even Honda and BMW have some vehicles that are problematic; that doesn't mean they all are. We certainly can't complain!

Money Pit

by from Burnsville, MN on February 12, 2008

I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Talk about electrical headaches and annoying components that stop working. . .even the day after getting fixed. Burnt out dashboard lights, broken blinkers and flickering interior lights are just to name a few. Also has a very harsh transmission when shifting gears. This car consumes 4 quarts of oil in less than 3,000 miles. Unless that sounds appealing to you, DON'T BUY THIS VEHICLE!

WHAT A SURPRISING CONVERTIBLE!!

by from Walnut Creek, CA on January 21, 2010

This car just surprised me at many levels. Easy to operate, easy to drive, easy to maintain, easy on the eyes. The convertible styling is beautiful and the ride was really good. For a tall guy like myself (6'2") the car was surpinsingly more confortable that Boxsters and Audi TTs, even the other three passengers were amazed about how much space there was for all. Never had a car that received so many looks and nods, even with the light yellow exterior, probably because it screams "I am fun, life is good, why so serious?" My only wish was a more powerful engine. So if you like to rev, get the Turbo, otherwise the 2.0 has plenty of power fun to drive you around.

Reliable

by from Dallas on March 30, 2010

Owned car for 6 years. NEVER ever ever had a problem. Reliable, great gas mileage, comfortable, cute

very versatile

by from on August 31, 2009

It drives very smoothly and swiftly. When speeding you don't feel the speed eventhough is a small car.

Fabulous!

by from Big city on January 9, 2016

I bought a 2002 in 2014. This car was take care of properly. It had a cassette player (no CD) but I did not mind. The turbo is amazing. When in slow traffic, I can get out of the traffic and detour quickly. People smile and wave at the color (I wave back) yellow. It has extras, like yellow and black leather seats, etc. They are really nice. Mainly, I enjoy the small size. I can park almost anywhere. Its amazing what I can get into the car plus a dog. If you can afford it, sure get a moon roof and a CD player. Be sure to get turbo. I am no speedy racer. It helps when living in a big city. I will get another one.

Our Expert Review: 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle