2004 New Beetle

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

4.1

Have you driven the 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle?

Great Starter Car!

by Concerned Mom from SoCal on Wed Jan 06 2010

We have had this car for 5 years & now have 64k miles (bought is with 18k.) It was our daughter's first car at 16. I love the crash test ratings, the reliability, and the affordability of owning it! I like to borrow it when running errands - I feel younger & 'cute' in it and use less gas than my truck. She has been the envy of her friends in her bug. I never worry about her having problems with her car even driving in the mountains. As for the negatives out there - there are problems in any model sometimes. I have had my own lemon car, but I hear very few negatives about the bug.

Not a Single Problem

by Happy Bug Owner from on Thu Jul 23 2009

Our 2004 Beetle convertible has never been in the shop except for scheduled maintenance. It handles exceptionally well, due to being heavy, low, and wide. You can fit an AMAZING amount of cargo in it, since you can put the top down and load things in easily. I'm surprised at the negative reviews. Even Honda and BMW have some vehicles that are problematic; that doesn't mean they all are. We certainly can't complain!

Money Pit

by HeathAIR from Burnsville, MN on Tue Feb 12 2008

I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Talk about electrical headaches and annoying components that stop working. . .even the day after getting fixed. Burnt out dashboard lights, broken blinkers and flickering interior lights are just to name a few. Also has a very harsh transmission when shifting gears. This car consumes 4 quarts of oil in less than 3,000 miles. Unless that sounds appealing to you, DON'T BUY THIS VEHICLE!

Does not recommend this car!!

Love this cute thing!

by Nattybaby from Costa Mesa, CA on Mon Oct 31 2011

Had my 2004 beetle gls turbo convertible for over 30,000 miles. It was so quick!!!!! I always got compliments. The leather interior was great, loved the seat warmers, great for summer to go top down! Never replaced anything on it.

I feel most secure & comfortable in this tight car

by Help Desk Specialist and a Nana from Framingham, MA on Tue Jun 19 2007

This vehicle is the best car I have ever driver or owned. It is solid on the highway. Vehicle will stop on a dime without nosing down or swaying. Car corners beautifully, hugs the road. Handles very well on a windy highway and in the snow. Have never fishtailed in the snow or ice. This car has proven to be perfect in every aspect, in my opinion.... in addition to being cute and stylish

Reliable

by myvwrocks from Dallas on Tue Mar 30 2010

Owned car for 6 years. NEVER ever ever had a problem. Reliable, great gas mileage, comfortable, cute

WHAT A SURPRISING CONVERTIBLE!!

by Z MAN from Walnut Creek, CA on Thu Jan 21 2010

This car just surprised me at many levels. Easy to operate, easy to drive, easy to maintain, easy on the eyes. The convertible styling is beautiful and the ride was really good. For a tall guy like myself (6'2") the car was surpinsingly more confortable that Boxsters and Audi TTs, even the other three passengers were amazed about how much space there was for all. Never had a car that received so many looks and nods, even with the light yellow exterior, probably because it screams "I am fun, life is good, why so serious?" My only wish was a more powerful engine. So if you like to rev, get the Turbo, otherwise the 2.0 has plenty of power fun to drive you around.

very versatile

by jujan from on Mon Aug 31 2009

It drives very smoothly and swiftly. When speeding you don't feel the speed eventhough is a small car.

Fabulous!

by Hippie from Big city on Sat Jan 09 2016

I bought a 2002 in 2014. This car was take care of properly. It had a cassette player (no CD) but I did not mind. The turbo is amazing. When in slow traffic, I can get out of the traffic and detour quickly. People smile and wave at the color (I wave back) yellow. It has extras, like yellow and black leather seats, etc. They are really nice. Mainly, I enjoy the small size. I can park almost anywhere. Its amazing what I can get into the car plus a dog. If you can afford it, sure get a moon roof and a CD player. Be sure to get turbo. I am no speedy racer. It helps when living in a big city. I will get another one.

Awesome BUG

by jose1020 from Chicago on Thu Aug 03 2006

Good handling vehicle! Fun to drive espically with the top down on those summer evenings! Bugs as we know are small but I was surprised at all the stuff I could fit in, definetely not a car for a large family but for 1-3 people you would be just fine. This car has heated seats great for the winter and a great AC for the summer hot days. I would recommend this car to anyone. With todays gas prices focusing on economics, I think the VW Bug will become more & more attractive as time goes on and people give it a test drive. It wouldn't for me due to car seats!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

What an interesting life the Volkswagen Beetle has lived.

First it was hot. Then it was not. Then it was hot again. And then not, again.

More than six years ago, when the Golf-based New Beetle first arrived on these shores (in its second incarnation), the buying public went nuts. It was cuddly. It was odd. It was a better version than anything anyone ever remembered, especially the noisy, sewing machine rides that were mostly a difficult trip from Point A to B during the 1960s.

But cute and adorable lasts only so long, especially when you're supposed to be cool and retro. When the public craziness faded, VW infused a little power, adding a Turbo S model.

A Turbo Beetle? Ho-hum, said the... Read More