OIL SLUDGE

by from Indiana on September 20, 2006

I leased my VW Passat 1.8T in Feb 2004. I have kept up with the maintenance including the oil changes- more or less on schedule, though not always at the dealsership. I have a heavy commute so I am at 2 years and at 56,000 miles. The oil pressure light came on telling me to turn the motor off and after I checked the service manual and the oil level, and then took it to the dealership I found out the 2004 turbo Passat's dirty little secret. I was supposed to have been sent a warning (which I did not recieve) by Volkswagon of America, issued to all Passat owners up to the 2004 models that it is ABSOLUTELY critical that ONLY synthetic oil be used, ONLY an extra large filter be used and that oil and filter be changed WITHOUT exception every 5,000 miles. And why? Because the turbo engine will create sludge, block the oil intake and then your engine will seize up completely. [ I am giving it a "2" on reliability because the possiblity that the engine might just lock up while I am driving troubles me somewhat. It may not happen often, but if it does..........] If your engine seizes up anyway, and some do, VW has extended the warranty on these models but only if you can produce written proof of every single oil change, including the type of oil used and the exact mileage. (Woe betide the do-it-yourself types.) An engine re-build is around $3,000 - replacement runs a little higher. Most dealerships will fight tooth and nail to avoid providing the work under the extended warranty. So if you like the car (and I do- overall) fork out the $75+ for the special oil and filters EVERY 5,000 miles and lock the receipts in your safety deposit box - just in case. If you buy used, get the proof of those oil changes from your seller or walk away.

Great performance but poor reliability

by from Philadelphia, Pa on November 4, 2009

This is a fun car to drive with excellent fit and finish. However, it is very unreliable. Consumer Reports was dead on, the electrical system is a mess. The sunroof has leaked multiple times causing massive electrical system failure--inoperative cruise control, door and trunk lock failure, alarm failure. Electrical failure not covered by “ultimate extended warranty” which was a $1,500 useless expenditure recommended by dealer. Also check engine light comes on seeming randomly. If this occurs randomly during state mandated emission testing, vehicle will not pass.

Car not reliable

by from Vermont on March 1, 2011

I have sunk thousands in repairs of my 04 since I bought it new. It was my 3rd VW and will be my last.

an excellent reliable car.

by from on March 19, 2011

this is a well engineered car. Also it is a very reliable car, the style and options are worth every penny.

The Perfect Car

by from Winnetka, CA on August 17, 2006

This is my 2nd Passat (previously owned a 2001 model) after driving nothing but American made vehicles my whole life (40+ years). From an engineering perspective, I haven't seen anything that comes close, for the money. I spend many hours a day driving (part of my work) and it is comfortable, handles well (even on mountain roads), and gets decent gas mileage (with a V6 engiine). And the Tiptronic transmission is incredible, especially on those mountain roads. The rear seats, which fold forward exposing the trunk, allow for transporting outsized objects (like skis, ladders, etc.). My dog loves it too because he gets to ride at our elevation and has lots of room for stretching out on long drives. The A/C and VW sound system is also outstanding. It's the perfect car!

Praise for Passats

by from Richmond, VA on April 28, 2012

I bought a one owner '04 Passat with 47K miles in 2010 as a replacement for my 2000 Passat with 233K miles. Both of my passats have had the V6 engine with 5 spd manual. The car is sporty (sunroof, leather, alloys) and fun to drive, afterall how many midsize sedans have manual trannys. The passat is kind of an affordable Audi and is sized between the A4 and the A6 Audis. To be fair, the Audi's have fully independent suspension, whereas the pre 2006 passats don't. Buy one if you can find one.

Be Hesitant

by from Atlanta, GA on October 20, 2010

I purchased car used 2004 -Feb 2010, now 8 mos later the engine needs to be replaced. I hav found 400 same complaints when it comes to your oil consumption-make sure to let only your dealer perform oil changes or make sure to use synthetic oil only, although the manual states you can use 5w-30. After all the hassle of not being able to use the powertrain warranty, or extended warranty--this was a huge investment without any enjoyment whatsoever.

Owner

by from Boston, MA on July 25, 2006

Excellent car - we've owned one for 3 years and have had no problems whatsoever. It's fun to drive and elegant.

Good solid car

by from Baltimore, MD USA on May 10, 2008

My 2004 GLX FWD V6 Tiptronic has 90k miles on it, one owner, and I've kept up on all preventive maintenance (timing belt, water pump, synthetic oil changes, brake pads, new tires, cv boot) It is a solid car, very good on the highway with great straight line steering feel, comfortable seats, and a smooth stable ride. The interior design is very pleasing and constructed with precision. The car is the right size. The V6/auto powertrain is nothing special in today's context (2008) but it sounds good, is reasonably responsive, and durable. The downsides would be only adequate fuel economy, the cost of maintenance, a bit of road noise. I am happy with the Passat.

speed

by from la on January 31, 2011

i have 2004 passat 4 motion and i don't have any serius problems with my car my frend have paasat 03 and he don't have any serius problems

Similar Models