2009 Volkswagen Passat

Wish I still owned this car!!!!

by from richmond, va on July 16, 2017

I really enjoyed this vehicle! The only downside was that it took premium gas and the tank is huge so it took about $50 to fill the car up.

Love this car, best rideing car ever

by from Jamestown nc 27282 on July 15, 2017

We love our car. Comfortable riding, great on gas. Beautiful body and interior. The price was right on the money. The only thing it did not come with a owners manual or floor mats.

Uses car for Havingfun

my favorite vw

by from orlando fl on July 14, 2017

this car met all my needs before my sister crashed it. and it was the most comfortable and quickest vw that i have ever owned.

Uses car for Havingfun

Most reliable car I have owned

by from Menasha wi on July 13, 2017

This car meets my expectations. With the 2.0 T it can really pick up. Plenty of leg room leather seat with the seat warmers are amazing. The seats have the lumbar feature which puts the comfort of this car way up there.

Passat Wagon hauls it all!

by from Tustin, CA on May 11, 2017

Owned since it was less than 1 year old. Really love owning a somewhat "rare" vehicle as they do not make/export Passat Wagons for the US market any more. Shame since my car hauls more stuff than our X5, and much more reliably as well. Gets fairly decent gas mileage for a 9 year old vehicle...definitely not comparable to same sized vehicle today. Power is more than adequate for FWD car. Handles quite well so long as speeds are kept below 105 mph, above that the aerodynamics fail and car gets light in the steering. Fortunately, that is one of the only quibbles, aside from the fact that it did not come with ventilated seats, those would have been quite nice. Anyway, the trunk also shuts with serious force, so beware if sensitive occupants are already seated inside. I do try to manually ease it down the last 6" before it slams shut, so that really helps. Design is solid, inside and out. Newer wagons are more rakish in the rear, but that infringes on their utility while only making them look sleeker. I love the body crease that is echoed in the interior. Lovely sweeping arch extends from front doors all the way around dashboard, subtle and lovely. The well-bolstered, faux-leather seats are wonderfully bulletproof and comfortable. I suppose it would be nice to have them with memory settings, but again this is a minor gripe since I'm the driver about 98% of the time anyway. Quite reliable 2.0T engine as well. Really no mechanical issues of note (knock-on-wood). Solid German engineering/build quality.

Vw passat 09

by from Garland tx on April 14, 2017

I had vw passat 04 for 10 years than I bought the 2009 and i just love my car. It's great car to drive great in gas milage fun to drive it.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned!!

by from Portsmouth, Va on February 16, 2017

Have had this car for almost 5 yrs and had to replace the engine not once but is back in the shop looking at another engine. Apparently, something about this particular car the engines mess up around 40,000 miles and has to be replaced - not doing this a second time!! I will never own another Passat everrr.

Beautiful Money Pit

by from Washington (The State) on December 9, 2016

I bought my 2009 used after always wanting one. Long story short, had to spend $2500 replacing a rear main seal taken out by the bad Intake Manifold problem that Volkwagen fixed under warranty but not before it took out the main seal. VW knows there is a problem but refuses to pay for the damages that result. Beautiful, comfortable, sleek ride but just like real life, if you want something beautiful, you best be prepared to throw some money (no seemingly cheap fixes) into it. High maintenance girl for sure.

2009 Passat Komfort Wagon - Solid as a rock

by from Orange County, CA on August 6, 2015

Well, where to start...I bought pre-owned Passat wagon at about 8 months old and 12,000 miles. That was nearly 5 years and 66,000 miles ago. This is about the longest I've ever owned a car, so kudos to the VW for having enough features, performance and style to garner such staying power with me! I'd say the only gripes I have would be the following: front wheel drive was the only option for 2009+, exterior styling of the wagon is in my opinion better than the sedan but still lacking in comparison to Audi Avant counterpart (there are Audi parts all over this car), as another mentioned the rain-sensing wipers could use some work (and likely have been improved in the years since), the CD changer is finally having issues though still works, and I would like seat ventilation. I don't think nav is necessary since my phone does the job wonderfully. How about the high points? Well, I've really only had to take it in for scheduled maintenance, which I do on schedule. No significant maintenance issues to report in nearly 5 years of hard-driving ownership. Pretty excellent in my opinion. I really like how well the V-Tex leatherette seats have held up, still look new! I do tend to overheat in the V-Tex (as I do with any other seat regardless of material) so I don't often use the seat heaters, but they do work very well. Stereo is more than adequate. Wheels still look modern, and in fact are better looking than most modern rims (10-spoke design). Handling is very good since it rides on fairly wide tires for this size sedan (though with RWD/AWD would be perfect). Love the interior design with the graceful arc that traverses the door and around the dash. Also, subtle design cues like the crease on the glove box matching the same crease on the exterior of the car is truly wonderful. All surfaces are soft where you touch them and there are cool hidden cubby-holes above the center dash vents. The 2.0T is a great little engine as evidenced by all the awards and accolades it has so rightly garnered over the years, and is plenty motivated to get my wagon quick-enough up to speed (but not recommended above 120 mph since aerodynamics at very high speed provide more lift than downforce, so steering control becomes very light). I would add that fuel economy is decent (for a 6 year old car) at just south of 30 mpg highway & about 20 in town. And I love the "Audi-esque" front grill of my 2009, so much better than the new hum-drum bumper design that makes new Passats (and all other VWs) look like any other Honda, etc. Oh, and this "little" wagon hauls so much it is always astounding...more so than I can usually fit in our premium SUV. I can fit my full-suspension 29er MTB in the back with seats folded and not have to remove the front wheel! The push button close for the rear hatch (and open from the remote!) is a fantastic feature, though it closes with a slam, so watch to ensure your little-one's fingers are not in harm's way. And I primarily use my vehicle for "all the above" when it comes to commuting, hauling the family, outdoor sports, enthusiast driving, just around town, work, etc...Just not for towing or serious off-roading. A wonderfully solid, reliable, comfortable, versatile, and rewarding vehicle to own. Thank you, VW, and please bring back the Passat wagon with a TDI and AWD! (accidentally posted same review under 2008 Passat, this is a 2009)

Horrible car

by from on August 6, 2014

My daughter bought a 2009 Passat a couple years ago and has already spent over $3,000.00 on repairs. Then she goes into the hospital for neck surgery, parks her car in her driveway, where it sits for three weeks until she is able to drive again. When she gets back in it to start it up, it tries, but will not start. Long story short-somehow the timing belt slipped a notch and now the motor is ruined. The local dealership wants $9,000.00 to fix it and she owes around $12,000.00. Recently divorced, she cannot afford to fix it and neither can I. They offered her $1,300.00 trade value as is and said if she will repair it, (at their dealership for the aforementioned $9,000.00), they will give her 8,000.00 towards a new piece of junk VW. After having looked into this matter I have discovered the timing belt issue is a common problem with this car and VW is doing nothing to help her. It only has 80,000 miles at this point. So much for the lauded "German Engineering."