Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2009 Passat

2009 Volkswagen Passat

2009 Volkswagen Passat

3.9

Have You Driven the 2009 Volkswagen Passat?

I Always Look Forward To Driving It

by Auto Aficionado from Saint Paul, MN on Wed Oct 08 2008

This is my fourth VW and it seems to be more solid and refined than the previous ones. I got 34.7 Mpg on a 400 mile trip that I took this summer and have found regular fuel is suitable. The ride is a little firm but is the best handling family sedan I've driven. Everything seems to be placed and designed to be user friendly.

2008 Passat Komfort not worth it!

by Sad VW owner from Miami, FL on Wed Sep 18 2013

2008 Passat with 45 K miles suddenly doesn't start. I am told that the theft deterrent system doesn't recognize the key fob...meaning that they need to pull out the entire steering column to replace the computer chip. The tow truck driver can't even get the car into neutral to tow it...no power at all. $1400 later, after they replace that and get the car to start, my horn isn't working and needs a new relay board. Also, I need to replace one of the key fobs at 200. I would never buy another VW and will unload this one as soon as possible. The Customer Care center should be renamed The "we don't care" Center because VW obvously knows there are issues with the design of the car and refuses to offer any assistance with the repair. Very disappointed and angry....

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Dave from Ann Arbor, MI on Sun Jan 12 2014

Although I've had problems with the exhaust intake manifold for the turbo not once but TWICE, the dealer took care of this $600 fix both times. Additionally, the ignition problem with the key which totes a $2500 bill was covered under a recall. If you have had this problem and have paid for it out of pocket, contact VW for reimbursement. The car runs great and looks great. Minimal maintenance and has been extremely reliable minus the few setbacks listed above. 109k miles and still going strong. Took it in yesterday for its 100k mile tune-up and only needed oil and an alignment.. Make sure to run full synthetic oil through this car for the turbo's longevity and performance. I have Continental ProContact Tires on my car and have never had any problems. Very low tire noise, great mpg, and duration (lasted 60k miles). Good in the snow and SPECTACULAR in wet conditions.

Passat Wagon hauls it all!

by ataway1 from Tustin, CA on Thu May 11 2017

Owned since it was less than 1 year old. Really love owning a somewhat "rare" vehicle as they do not make/export Passat Wagons for the US market any more. Shame since my car hauls more stuff than our X5, and much more reliably as well. Gets fairly decent gas mileage for a 9 year old vehicle...definitely not comparable to same sized vehicle today. Power is more than adequate for FWD car. Handles quite well so long as speeds are kept below 105 mph, above that the aerodynamics fail and car gets light in the steering. Fortunately, that is one of the only quibbles, aside from the fact that it did not come with ventilated seats, those would have been quite nice. Anyway, the trunk also shuts with serious force, so beware if sensitive occupants are already seated inside. I do try to manually ease it down the last 6" before it slams shut, so that really helps. Design is solid, inside and out. Newer wagons are more rakish in the rear, but that infringes on their utility while only making them look sleeker. I love the body crease that is echoed in the interior. Lovely sweeping arch extends from front doors all the way around dashboard, subtle and lovely. The well-bolstered, faux-leather seats are wonderfully bulletproof and comfortable. I suppose it would be nice to have them with memory settings, but again this is a minor gripe since I'm the driver about 98% of the time anyway. Quite reliable 2.0T engine as well. Really no mechanical issues of note (knock-on-wood). Solid German engineering/build quality.

Fantastic Family Hauler & Adventure Wagon

by VW Fan! from Santa Ana, CA on Tue Jan 23 2018

Love this car so much! Hauls everything and is more spacious than most SUVs. Has been very reliable through 100k miles. The 2.0 Turbo engine is really a wonderful thing with more than adequate power and minimal lag. Dinged handling a bit as it does have a fair amount of body roll and tends to understeer when pushed, but this is minor in the grand scheme of things for a family wagon. Exterior styling is really nice, though I stopped short of 5 stars since if you look at comparable Audi wagon you'll see that the rear could have been more "swoopy", though that would cut into the cargo capacity, so take your pick. Interior design is quite handsome, with a character line running from B-pillar up through the doors and around the dash, glove box crease mimics that of the exterior (love that for some reason). Leatherette seats look like real deal but wear like iron! Seats seriously still look new with no cracking or discoloration (note, my car has always been garaged). Sun visors slide to help cover side window gap that otherwise lets the sun blind you...and a second sun visor can be used at the same time for twisting roads. Plenty of cubbies and hidden storage throughout. Luxuries on this model include heated front seats, automatic rear wagon hatch, CD changer, and XM Satellite radio. Super reliable, fun to drive, stylish, and cavernous ride for all the people!

Beautiful Money Pit

by CrazySquirrel from Washington (The State) on Fri Dec 09 2016

I bought my 2009 used after always wanting one. Long story short, had to spend $2500 replacing a rear main seal taken out by the bad Intake Manifold problem that Volkwagen fixed under warranty but not before it took out the main seal. VW knows there is a problem but refuses to pay for the damages that result. Beautiful, comfortable, sleek ride but just like real life, if you want something beautiful, you best be prepared to throw some money (no seemingly cheap fixes) into it. High maintenance girl for sure.

2009 Passat Komfort Wagon - Solid as a rock

by Ataway from Orange County, CA on Thu Aug 06 2015

Well, where to start...I bought pre-owned Passat wagon at about 8 months old and 12,000 miles. That was nearly 5 years and 66,000 miles ago. This is about the longest I've ever owned a car, so kudos to the VW for having enough features, performance and style to garner such staying power with me! I'd say the only gripes I have would be the following: front wheel drive was the only option for 2009+, exterior styling of the wagon is in my opinion better than the sedan but still lacking in comparison to Audi Avant counterpart (there are Audi parts all over this car), as another mentioned the rain-sensing wipers could use some work (and likely have been improved in the years since), the CD changer is finally having issues though still works, and I would like seat ventilation. I don't think nav is necessary since my phone does the job wonderfully. How about the high points? Well, I've really only had to take it in for scheduled maintenance, which I do on schedule. No significant maintenance issues to report in nearly 5 years of hard-driving ownership. Pretty excellent in my opinion. I really like how well the V-Tex leatherette seats have held up, still look new! I do tend to overheat in the V-Tex (as I do with any other seat regardless of material) so I don't often use the seat heaters, but they do work very well. Stereo is more than adequate. Wheels still look modern, and in fact are better looking than most modern rims (10-spoke design). Handling is very good since it rides on fairly wide tires for this size sedan (though with RWD/AWD would be perfect). Love the interior design with the graceful arc that traverses the door and around the dash. Also, subtle design cues like the crease on the glove box matching the same crease on the exterior of the car is truly wonderful. All surfaces are soft where you touch them and there are cool hidden cubby-holes above the center dash vents. The 2.0T is a great little engine as evidenced by all the awards and accolades it has so rightly garnered over the years, and is plenty motivated to get my wagon quick-enough up to speed (but not recommended above 120 mph since aerodynamics at very high speed provide more lift than downforce, so steering control becomes very light). I would add that fuel economy is decent (for a 6 year old car) at just south of 30 mpg highway & about 20 in town. And I love the "Audi-esque" front grill of my 2009, so much better than the new hum-drum bumper design that makes new Passats (and all other VWs) look like any other Honda, etc. Oh, and this "little" wagon hauls so much it is always astounding...more so than I can usually fit in our premium SUV. I can fit my full-suspension 29er MTB in the back with seats folded and not have to remove the front wheel! The push button close for the rear hatch (and open from the remote!) is a fantastic feature, though it closes with a slam, so watch to ensure your little-one's fingers are not in harm's way. And I primarily use my vehicle for "all the above" when it comes to commuting, hauling the family, outdoor sports, enthusiast driving, just around town, work, etc...Just not for towing or serious off-roading. A wonderfully solid, reliable, comfortable, versatile, and rewarding vehicle to own. Thank you, VW, and please bring back the Passat wagon with a TDI and AWD! (accidentally posted same review under 2008 Passat, this is a 2009)

09 Komfort Sedan

by Go German Cars from Boston on Sun Jan 04 2009

I own and X5 and turned in my '06 C280 4-Matic for this Passat. I shopped the A4, 328, and C-Class. The value of the Passat and the sales experience over these cars is what sold me. You don't give up much at all going with the Passat. It has solid, safe German engineering, design, and performance like the others. As a bonus, you get the free scheduled maintenance. With the sign and drive program, you get a lease payment $200 less than the others with no money down. The sales experience exceeded the other dealerships. There were no false or misleading ads. The Komfort edition comes as it is with no added options to jack up the payment. The relatively low sticker and rebate left little margin for negotiation, where the Merc and BMW dealers were looking to make $4,000+ on each sale. Now that I have the car, I can say that the comfort is on par with the others, except for the added features you overpay for in the others, like rain sensing wipers and memory seats. I am very pleased with the performance. Where the Merc was franticly fast, the VW is fast. The Passat is just as fun to drive, but only about 9/10 of the Merc, BMW, and Audi because of lacking the AWD and about 20 HP. Getting 34 MPG on the highway vs. 27 in the Merc is a fair compromise. The exterior is simply gorgeous. It looks like an Audi and has more aesthetic use of the "flame surfacing" than the BMW. The interior with its blue and red lighting is a more modern and mature look than the Merc. It is much more roomy and just as comfortable, arguable more so due to the added room. Feature by feature, you are getting at least an equivalent or better car for $200 less per month on the lease. The payment and free scheduled maintenance make it a steal. You get the space of a 5-Series or E350. This is the first time I ever walked out of a showroom after signing the papers feeling completely guilt free, satisfied, and excited about my new car. The $200 per month I saved will be added to my monthly contribution to the 529 savings plan. I would advise all other BMW and Merc owners to consider doing the same.

Problems

by Kinnno from cleveland ohio on Sun Dec 30 2012

The car is beautiful it runs great and is good on gas. I have never owned a car with this many problems in my life. The a/c compressor died the horn stopped working the turn signals stopped working the column lock was defective so there were times that the car could not be driven. All of this occured after the tree year warranty was up. I would lease one but i will never by another.

Passat is great

by VW lover from Rockville, md on Thu Jul 21 2011

I have had 4 passat cars. As long as you maintain it well it's a great car. It s a great family car. Would rate it best in terms of safety.

1 2 3