2012 Passat

2012 Volkswagen Passat

2012 Volkswagen Passat

Have You Driven the 2012 Volkswagen Passat?

2012 VW Passat w/appearance package

by JP5 from Fredericksburg, VA on Sun Nov 27 2011

I just purchased a 2012 Passat with the appearance package. The car has to be the best overall value in the mid size market. I think the exterior and interior styling and quality is on par or surpasses most of the segemnt. The car is rock solid, just shut a door or look at the hinges, they are massive. The 2.5 5 cylinder with the 6 speed automatic is enough power for me. The tranmission it tiptronic and has a sport mode which makes it a more response drive- train. I prefer a conventional tranmission over the CVTs you will find in the Nissan Altima, and Subaru Legacy. You can find great deals on the Altima, however, you are getting an older platform. The new Camry looks good from the exterioir, however, the interior is just not that appealing. I liked the Mazda6 and found it extermely sporty to drive, however, the VW is more solid, has better brakes and acceration then the 4 cylinder Mazda6 (and I am a fan od Mazda as a brand) I liked the Sonata and Optima, did not drive them or other brands except as indicated), however find their interior quality not as good/appealing as the VW. The dash and lighting, etc are very high quality looing when lite up at ight. I paid with freight, $21,034 for this car and think it is a lot of car for the money and obtained 1.9% for 60months. If you are looking at the mid size segement, you must take a look at the Passat and drive it!

Best Sedan for the Price on the Market

by B Crutch from Washington, DC on Sat Mar 31 2012

I recently purchased 2012 Passat, SE, with 3.6 Liter 280 HP V-6, navigation and sunroof. After driving countless other vehicles, the Passat won hands down. This car handles incredibly well in all driving conditions. My tests included winding roads in VA, city driving and highway in DC and the Passat has the smoothest, most spirited ride of all the cars I tested. It corners very well and has more leg room than any any other to accommodate my two 6'-1" teenagers. The only car that comes close in my opinion is the Volvo S-80, for $14K more. The navigation system, Bluetooth and audio are a breeze to use and the Fender audio system is outstanding. The seats are incredibly comfortable as well. The interior layout is very ergonomic and logical. You need to drive this car to believe it. It rolls over the potholes in DC streets smoothly. You feel the bumps but they are dampened significantly. It accelerates incredibly fast when merging onto the 495 beltway. The the 3.6 liter engine was my choice as I found the 2.5 liter much less spirited. I get about 18-20 mpg city and it is very easy to parallel park. The turn radius is amazingly tight making u-turns a breeze. I could not be any happier with this purchase!

Nice but

by Passat 4ever from on Tue Feb 14 2012

Price for the 5 cyl is excellent, but performance.... needs a few more horses. Love the interior. Suspension is too comfortable.

VW Passat TDI SEL Premium

by Sam Smith from Monrovia, CA on Tue Mar 06 2012

Terrific car. Great gas mileage. Car handles well and is VERY comfortable. So far getting about 40 miles to the gallon city/highway which I am told will improve. This is a great vehicle. Only downside was waiting 3.5 months for delivery of the exact color and style we wanted.

I love this car

by Y_Crodog0714 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Sat Mar 23 2019

I was lucky enough to have been bought this car as my first. It’s very spacious on the inside and I love driving it. I have had no problems with it in the time that I’ve owned it. The engine has just the right amount of pick up for the roads o typically drove (between 45-70). Not only are the front and back seat spacious but the trunk is as well, I can fit all of my athletic equipment and hunting gear with no problem. My overall favorite thing about this car is the comfort, I have a 90lb dog who loves to go for rides, and he can move around with ease without bumping or distracting me one bit! I was skeptical at first about the whole “ forging made car” thing but I’ve had many friends that have owned Volkswagens and and loved them. I’m planning on taking this car to college and I can’t wait!

Perhaps the Best VW Ever!

by Gear Head from Hanover, MD on Mon Mar 19 2012

The 2012 Passat replaces a 99 Mercedes E320 4Matic of my wife; I'll take over the Benz, so don't bother making an offer, thanks. The new Passat is gorgeous, has unbelievable front and rear seat room, alllowing two 6' plus people to both be fully stretched out and comfortable front to back. The 2.5 L inline 5 is not mellodious, but performs well and get great mileage. The Glacier Blue Metallic paint is v. pretty, and the car is now made in the US of A!

exceptional value

by tmrevo18 from orlando florida on Mon Feb 27 2012

I recently purchased a 2012 VW Passat SEL TDI, with the exception of the wait time, I have no complaints. I would recommend this car to anyone who asks.

Bought it Brand New

by Ali from SF Bay Area on Fri Aug 03 2018

This was the best decision i ever made. Great Car and no problems I have had it now for 6 years- around 92 k miles.. and all i do is change the Engine Oil on time.. I recently changed all lights to LED.. and installed FOG lights too.. it looks better than New :) Great Car!

love the passat

by therapist from az on Sat Jun 28 2014

previous volvo owner. love the passat!!! great comfort and room. superb feeling when taking the highway. much better handling than asian competitors

A Step Above at a Price Below

by Braisin from Los Angeles, CA on Thu Feb 27 2014

After only a couple short weeks, I have fallen in love with my Passat! We bought it used with 41K miles from Hertz, and it drives like it was straight off the production line. The exterior, although conservative, is going to stand the test of time and is very Audi-esque. It's slanted lights give it an agressive, powerful look. The hood gives a satisfying thump and locks without an extra push. The trunk is very large and the 40/60 split fold down is great for versatility. It has clean, masculine lines that are a welcome change from Volkswagen's recent rounded designs in previous generations--but that's my own opinion, and people tend to disagree. Either way, I get compliments and head turns CONSTANTLY! The inside is well appointed, simple, and German. It's utilitarian. I have the Premium 8 Sound System with LCD Touchscreen which is great, but can be a distraction when on the road. That's where the steering wheel controls come in handy. Do yourself a favor before you take a trip and figure out the controls on the wheel first, it'll be a much safer trip. The seats are comfortable, and room is great. The rear legroom is PHENOMENAL! Good mix of hard and soft-touch surfaces, metal accent, and overall flow. It just works. Sound is pretty good, but not at all a Fender which gets top reviews. Everything is damped, which is nice, BUT the little plastic hook for the sun visor broke off and the only way to fix it is glue. The overall quality of the interior is good, and great for the price point the Passat punches in at. I have the 2.5 I5, which is more torque-y and it makes that very clear. Although peppy in low end speeds, it tends to run out of breath when on the freeway. I average around 25MPG with mostly city, solid-footed driving that is mostly uphill. It's a solid engine and is built very well. For only a cylinder and .1L more, it gives a huge difference between my past Hondas and Toyotas. Overall, the car is FANTASTIC and really gives you a lot of German fun for a not so German price tag. It is also Made in the USA, Chattanooga, TN specifically. The mix of German engineering and American craftsmanship combine well in the Passat and I cannot wait to drive this car well into the 100,000+ mile club!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14

Our Take on the 2012 Volkswagen Passat

For many car shoppers, price is king — so it’s no wonder the prior-generation Volkswagen Passat, a 2010 model that started at $27,195, didn’t have much of a chance against family sedans from Honda, Toyota and others that cost thousands less.

Now, however, its chances are much better.

The redesigned 2012 Passat combines the driving dynamics and interior quality that VW fans expect with the roominess, comfort and value that the wider public demands.

The 2012 Passat has been designed specifically for the American market, and it starts at $19,995 — squarely in the heart of the midsize segment. Expect it at dealerships nationwide by the fall.

Offered in three trim levels — S, SE... Read More