2012 Passat

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

2012 VW Passat w/appearance package

by JP5 from Fredericksburg, VA on November 27, 2011

I just purchased a 2012 Passat with the appearance package. The car has to be the best overall value in the mid size market. I think the exterior and interior styling and quality is on par or surpasses most of the segemnt. The car is rock solid, just shut a door or look at the hinges, they are massive. The 2.5 5 cylinder with the 6 speed automatic is enough power for me. The tranmission it tiptronic and has a sport mode which makes it a more response drive- train. I prefer a conventional tranmission over the CVTs you will find in the Nissan Altima, and Subaru Legacy. You can find great deals on the Altima, however, you are getting an older platform. The new Camry looks good from the exterioir, however, the interior is just not that appealing. I liked the Mazda6 and found it extermely sporty to drive, however, the VW is more solid, has better brakes and acceration then the 4 cylinder Mazda6 (and I am a fan od Mazda as a brand) I liked the Sonata and Optima, did not drive them or other brands except as indicated), however find their interior quality not as good/appealing as the VW. The dash and lighting, etc are very high quality looing when lite up at ight. I paid with freight, $21,034 for this car and think it is a lot of car for the money and obtained 1.9% for 60months. If you are looking at the mid size segement, you must take a look at the Passat and drive it!

1st ever VW

by middle age commuter from Oregon on April 23, 2012

I bought the TDI SE diesel 2 months ago. I traded in my 2004 Honda for it. What a contrast! T haven't been this pleased with a car since my 4-WD f-150 from 20+ years ago. The Passat is a sharp looking, powerful, comfortable vehicle, and for the money it's a great deal. It hugs the road- handling is excellent and the 6 on the floor manual makes fun driving. I get 35 mpg commuting and 46 to 47 on the highway. The mileage is outrageous and I'm not cramped in a sardine can either. After years of driving the bland Hondas and Toyotas, I don't think I'll go back. Happy motoring.

Great Car!

by Backcreek from Chambersburg, PA on December 18, 2011

I was reluctant to give up my 2001 Passat with 225K miles. The new Passat is a great replacement, however. It is actually roomier than my 2001. This is the first car I have ever owned where I had to move the seat forward to reach the gas peddle! Mileage on the TDI is terrific. I get close to 50 on the 25 mile jaunt to church on Sundays, and get 38 or so around town.

Best Sedan for the Price on the Market

by B Crutch from Washington, DC on March 31, 2012

I recently purchased 2012 Passat, SE, with 3.6 Liter 280 HP V-6, navigation and sunroof. After driving countless other vehicles, the Passat won hands down. This car handles incredibly well in all driving conditions. My tests included winding roads in VA, city driving and highway in DC and the Passat has the smoothest, most spirited ride of all the cars I tested. It corners very well and has more leg room than any any other to accommodate my two 6'-1" teenagers. The only car that comes close in my opinion is the Volvo S-80, for $14K more. The navigation system, Bluetooth and audio are a breeze to use and the Fender audio system is outstanding. The seats are incredibly comfortable as well. The interior layout is very ergonomic and logical. You need to drive this car to believe it. It rolls over the potholes in DC streets smoothly. You feel the bumps but they are dampened significantly. It accelerates incredibly fast when merging onto the 495 beltway. The the 3.6 liter engine was my choice as I found the 2.5 liter much less spirited. I get about 18-20 mpg city and it is very easy to parallel park. The turn radius is amazingly tight making u-turns a breeze. I could not be any happier with this purchase!

2012 Passat SE manual gas

by sadams from Columbus, OH on September 4, 2015

I have had this car for 3.5 years and it is approaching 60k miles. I drive 70 miles each day to and from work mostly on the freeway. I have kept every gas receipt and average 30mpg overall in Ohio weather. I don't drive like a mad man but also not like a grandpa so the gas mileage has been pretty good in my opinion. I have had to get a new battery (once) and tires (once) and oil changes every 10k miles or so and that's it. I put cheap gas in it (87) as recommended as well. Bluetooth works well with phone and all music I listen to is typically stored on the phone. I really like the 5 speed manual and you can slide it around corners if you feel like it. It is kind of a fun car. The seats are nice and the fake leather is not bad at all. No cracking at all. Front legroom is good (I am 6ft 215lbs) and with front seat all the way back I can't even touch the pedals. Rear seat is huge. Trunk is huge. I have had 4 guys and 4 sets of golf clubs and we all fit just fine and its a mid size car. Things I don't like: manual seat on passenger side but drivers side is electric. The way the drivers electric seat tilts up is strange. It is hinged in the front only and the rear of the seat goes up while front stays down. It leans you toward to dash and doesn't lift the entire seat up like toward the roof evenly. Getting the rear seats folded down is awkward as well. Everyone that rides in the back can't believe how big it is. On a side note my neighbor liked mine so much he got one as well but a TDI and his complaint is about the nav system and backup camera like it doesn't switch modes fast enough and you can be pulling away and still see the backup view. His mileage is huge though mostly freeway and around 50mpg pretty common. So two reviews. No regrets at all.

vw

by vw from Michigan on October 27, 2011

purchased a new 2.5 premium a few weeks ago. Have about 1,000 miles on it already. Love the car. Comfortable to drive and plenty of room for passengers. The Fender audio is great. Not sure the Sirius Traffic is worth the price, we will see. Getting over 32 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. Great car so far, I hope it proves reliable.

1st year review

by Lachlan from Seattle, wa on June 15, 2013

I've owned this car for almost a year and love this car. I have put 18,000 miles on it in combine city and highway driving. The car is a SE with the 2.5l engine. Pros: comfortable to ride in, great ergonomics (love how the radio and air conditioning controls not as confusing as ford my touch or Mazda menu driven systems for example). Overall I like the style of the car. As I do combined driving everyday I get about 27 to 28 mpg. Cons. I am not a big fan of the engine, it is ok but there are VW has engines with better gas mileage or performance (2.0l turbo for example). Would have preferred the TDI, but the higher cost of the engine, lack of availability in trim I liked and the financing option (60 months zero interest was not available for the TDI) offset the better gas mileage from a financial standpoint. Only issues I have had is the 12v port has blown a fuse twice(very touchy on what you use it for). And yes the car does get some rattles if going over rough surfaces. Overall impressions is I believe for the price it was a very good value and plan on keeping it for many years to come.

VW Passat TDI SEL Premium

by Sam Smith from Monrovia, CA on March 6, 2012

Terrific car. Great gas mileage. Car handles well and is VERY comfortable. So far getting about 40 miles to the gallon city/highway which I am told will improve. This is a great vehicle. Only downside was waiting 3.5 months for delivery of the exact color and style we wanted.

Nice but

by Passat 4ever from on February 14, 2012

Price for the 5 cyl is excellent, but performance.... needs a few more horses. Love the interior. Suspension is too comfortable.

Average Passat

by Lukewarm owner from Washington, DC on February 27, 2012

I purchased the Passat 2012 TDI SEI. This is the top of the line for the Passat and I was very disappointed with the amount of plastic in the interior and the feeling of cheapness . All the the electronic bells and whistles are great but lack of the rear view camera (which is just about standard for high-end cars) was greatly missed. Steeriing is tight and it does not have any get-up. It is a good family car.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11