2004 Phaeton

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton

5 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have You Driven the 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton?

Cheap to own; do your own repairs though

by Doug from Baltimore on Thu Jan 07 2010

Cheap to buy, $16,000. Very comfortable and big, except for headroom. Watch out for the rear climate controls, they will get broken by a 3 year old walking over and kicking them, but it still works. Also, don't let anyone touch the trunk unless you tell them how to use it first. Very fun and comfortable to drive. Already replaced oil, intake filters, spark plugs, no other problems.

Great Luxury Car

by imon_2nd from FAir Oaks, CA on Fri May 15 2015

I've admired this car since Jeremy Clarkson reviewed it many years ago. Finally bought one recently. My V8 Phaeton really is better in every way than the Mercedes I owned for 10 years. Handling is actually pretty good for a big car. Comfy, fast, and good-looking. The stealthy styling and VW badges let it get by under the radar.

Phaeton is the best car ever owned

by Phaeton Lover from Temecula, CA on Fri Oct 06 2017

I bought a 2004 Phaeton when they first came out as I was in the market for a new luxury car. Prior to that I drove BMW's for 20 years. I was looking at the new 7 series and the Audi A8L when I saw the Phaeton for the first time in a parking lot. I decided to go to a dealer to get more information. Only one dealer in my area had one Phaeton but they would not budge a penny from the sticker price. Visiting family in Phoenix, I decided to check with the dealer in Scottsdale. I drove it and loved it, then took a second test drive with my wife and son. They also loved it so I bought it. Now 13 years later and 183,000 miles on it, it still performed and looked new. No major mechanical work was done to that car. I have always pampered my cars but this was a car I did not want to trade it. Unfortunately, I had a traffic accident this September and the car was totaled. Depressed, I stated to look around the US for a Phaeton replacement and found one in Indianapolis. This one was identical to the one I owned for such a long time with only slightly more than 63,000 miles on it. The car looks like new so I bought it. For those that have never driven a Phaeton, you wont understand the attraction and uniqueness of this car. You are in essence buying a Bently at half the cost. For the last 30 years I have driven BMW's and Mercedes but the Phaeton is the best car I have ever owned. VW has not imported this car since 2006 and maybe because of that, it has a timeless beauty.

A little costly for repairs when needed

by bygeorge from Olney on Thu Mar 30 2017

Just do the annual maintenance and regular oil changes and you won't have much trouble. Make sure you watch the transmission fluid levels so that you catch any small leaks early. The is a complicated high performance vehicle so keep that in mind. Work on it yourself if you know what you are doing or be sure to take it to someone well experienced with either a VW Phaeton or an Audi A6 or A8. Get the W12 rather than the V8. Well work the extra cost.

An amazing luxury automobile...

by Roy B from Eastland, Texas on Tue Jun 27 2017

I am a tall person (6' 8"), yet this car is very comfortable for me. Even with the drivers seat all the way back, there is plenty of room in the backseat for passenger legroom. The air suspension gives it a smooth ride and the V-8 engine has 335 hp. Even though it is a large car, built on a Bentley chassis, I still get 20 miles per gallon. The only drawback is that not all VW dealers are equipped to maintain this vehicle. If they were still selling this car in the US, I would love to have a new one, even though they are not inexpensive.

Best car for the money!

by Roy B from Eastland, Texas on Tue Jul 31 2018

Most folks are not even aware of this model. The VW Phaeton was produced for sale in the US in 2004-2006. It was meant to compete with Mercedes and BMW, but failed miserably because the public saw that it was a Volkswagen and could not comprehend a VW luxury automobile. This car was made on a Bentley chassis and has all the luxury features available in 2004. The air suspension provides a luxurious, soft ride that is wonderful. When we have a lengthy drive ahead of us, my wife prefers that we take my car over her Mercedes E350. The V8 runs smoothly, and on a trip gets 20+ miles per gallon. I am a tall guy (6?8?) and I have plenty of room. With my seat all the way back, passengers in the back seat still have more foot room than a typical passenger car provides with that car?s front seat pulled forward. If a person is looking for luxury and doesn?t want a huge debt to deal with. I recommend they look for a Phaeton. Be cautious, though. If the car has not been well maintained, there could be some expensive repairs lurking in the future.

best used car for the money

by GTO fan 13 from Harvey's Lake, PA on Mon Oct 26 2009

I bought this car used with 73,000 miles early last year. It is the best car I have ever driven, and I have had no problems at all. I bought this car primarily for rainy day and winter use, and loved it immediately, and despite the 360 h.p. V8, it goes in the snow like tank, there is no loss of traction at all. It cost every penny of $21,550, and with 125,713 miles on it now, I have yet to have a problem. I doubt that this car will ever die (and I know that i will never sell it) but if it does, I will buy another.

PEOPLE CANT BELEIVE ITS A VW

by I CARE ABOUT THE RIDE NOT THE BADGE from LOS ANGELES on Tue Mar 18 2008

I GET COMMENTS ALL TH TIME. THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR. I DONT LIKE THE NAVIGATION AS IT ISNT TOUCH SCREEN - IT IS SCROLL AND THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS HAVE PLAYED UP - OTHERWISE ITS BEEN PERFECT IN EVERY WAY - FAST, COMFORTABLE, SOUND SYSTEM, TRIM, FINISH. ALL THAT FOR UNDER 30K.

Audi A8

by Dr.Daja from Stamford CT on Tue Sep 20 2011

It is an audi A8 with more extras, and lower cost. The gas is going to kill you, and the service is going to take both legs and arms to pay for. But between those two obstacles you will be the happiest man on earth.

Best Car Ever, Hands Down

by Luxury Lady from New Mexico on Fri Sep 04 2015

I've had my W12 for 15 months and it has been a dream to own and drive. Got it up to 140 mph with no effort (for about 1 minute). Have driven cross country twice with no problem. Because it's the W12 I've met more people that want to buy it then I could imagine. It's a wonderful luxury ride. Everyone is amazed at the huge back seat space. The only problem now is that my friends always want ME to drive so they can ride around in my car. So glad I bought it.

1 2

Our Take on the 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton

Old-school Volkswagen Beetle owners, hold your wallets. Stereotypical mind sets, hold that thought.

If the Volkswagen Phaeton, the automaker's first true luxury vehicle, doesn't get you thinking differently about VW, maybe the climate-control system in the new four-door, ultra-long ride is enough to alter conventional thinking.

There's more than just cool technology in the motorized wood panels that drop down over the vents after the cabin in the Phaeton reaches your desired temperature. Suddenly, there's a whole new player in the high-end market.

Motorized vents? Four-zone climate control that allows each passenger to select his own settings? A $64,000 price tag? Herbie the lovable VW... Read More