Infiniti's curvaceous SUV has sporty styling and the driving dynamics to back it up, but its interior room is misleading. The FX is technically a five-seat midsize SUV, but a small backseat and a space-stealing floor hump in front of the middle seat means it's a tight squeeze. The lack of room coupled with odd Latch anchor placement complicated child-safety seat installation.
How many car seats fit in the second row? Two
What We Like
- The lightly bolstered seats held the booster snuggly in place. The buckles are on stable bases so kids should have no problem connecting.
- The infant seat, with its narrow Latch hooks, was easy to install.
What We Don't
- The two sets of Latch anchors are in slits in the leather and sit about a half-inch into the seat bight. The anchors themselves sit high up, and the opening isn't big enough to connect easily.
- The three tether anchors are also poorly placed. They sit about one-third of the way down the seatback, but there's no clearance around the anchor bar, which is imbedded into the upholstery.
- Installing the convertible was difficult because we had trouble fitting the seat's rigid Latch connectors into the narrow slits in the leather seats.
- We had to move the front-passenger seat significantly forward to accommodate both the rear-facing convertible and infant seats. The front passenger's knees were resting on the glove box.
A: Plenty of room for the car seat and the child; doesn't impact driver or front-passenger legroom. Easy to find and connect to Latch and tether anchors. No fit issues involving head restraint or seat contouring. Easy access to the third row.
B: Plenty of room. One fit or connection issue. Some problems accessing third row.
C: Marginal room. Two fit or connection issues. Difficult to access third row.
D: Insufficient room. Two or more fit or connection issues.
F: Does not fit or is unsafe.
About Cars.com's Car Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger and Jennifer Newman are certified child safety seat installation technicians.
For the Car Seat Check, we use a Graco SnugRide 30 infant-safety seat, a Britax Roundabout convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The front seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a 5-foot-8 passenger. The three child seats are installed in the second row. The booster seat sits behind the driver's seat, and the infant and convertible seats are installed behind the front passenger seat.
We also install the forward-facing convertible in the second row's middle seat with the booster and infant seat in the outboard seats to see if three car seats will fit; a child sitting in the booster seat must be able to reach the seat belt buckle. If there's a third row, we install the booster seat and a forward-facing convertible.
Parents should also remember that they can use the Latch system or a seat belt to install a car seat.