2003 MDX

2003 Acura MDX

2003 Acura MDX

4.5

Have You Driven the 2003 Acura MDX?

8 Years Old and Still Lovin' It

by Acura Guy from Dublin Ohio on Sat Sep 04 2010

Our 03 MDX is the best car we've ever owned! With 90K on the vehicle, it is as tight, responsive and as good looking as the day we bought it. Like most vehicles, we have had a few very minor maintenance items. Seat trim broke, rear A/C stopped working (due to a relay that I was able to replace myself) and all of the tabs on the interior A/C vents are broken (common MDX issue) however the vehicle has been reliable, comfortable and does simply everything we have asked it to do. I believe I will easily be able to drive this care for another 100K. I pull a small trailer (PWC) and have loaded the vehicle with people and this car simply does everything we need. I don?t know much about the newer versions of the car however if you are in the market for an early 2000 SUV, I would highly consider looking at an 03 MDX.

Watch out for Transmission Problems

by MDX-2003 from Canada on Tue Jul 29 2008

Purchased 2003 MDX new. Everything about vehicle is great except for transmission which failed at about 80K miles. After much pressure Honda agreed to pay half the $4,550 cost of a reconditioned transmission. Honda settled a class action suit for defective transmissions for model years up to 2002, but my model year was not covered. Clearly they are still having problems, so be sure to maintain vehicle according to warranty specs. As well the dealer advised to change transmission fluid at twice the frequency recommended in owners manual. Transmission has no filter so impurities will limit life in his view.

Love it!

by Yankee Farmer from on Thu Feb 04 2016

I just got a 2003 mdx to drive my kids around town. Wow. It's super clean, only 100,000 miles! I did the timing belt immediately because it is the time to do it. Don't take any chances with that! I am sooo happy! I wanted a nice used car. The reviews on most of the classy cars showed high maintenance cost over 100k. Acura and Lexus are the answer to that problem. You can't go wrong with (Honda) Acura. My leather seats are like new, plenty of space, nice Bose sound system. Don't be fooled with high mileage European cars. Stick with Honda/Toyota when buying used. Good luck!

One of the best cars I have ever owned!

by Honda Lover! from Bear, DE on Sun Jan 17 2010

We have put 150K on this car and have only had one problem. We put a new starter in at about 65K. Other than that, this car has been great. Many complain about transmission problems with this car but I have not experienced this yet. It is a little cramped on long drives though. This is not unusual for Honda products though.

Great SUV except for Transmission problems

by LilMoma from Dayton, OH on Mon Mar 22 2010

Bought my 2003 Acura MDX in 2008 with 88000 miles on it. Loved this vehicle. Took it everywhere. It now has 142000 (March 2010). The transmission went out at the 142000 miles and I was told that there was a chance that the transmission would not be able to be rebuilt. Waiting for word on how much it will cost me to fix. However everything else about this SUV was awesome! Great handling, loved the interior design, the room and comfort.

SUV

by MDX from NC on Thu Jul 08 2010

All good except for transmission...on the third. All under warranty fortunately. Gas mileage is fair...17 in town and 23 hwy.

Great Car

by CT from CT on Mon Oct 10 2011

I'm an original Owner of the 2003 Acura MDX. The car has been Great! No ProblemS. I highly recommend this car for a family of 2 or 7, seats 7.

Best car we ever owned

by KRENGIRL from on Sat Apr 29 2017

For many years, this has been a dependable, trouble-free car with plenty of run and lots of luxury. Everything has held up well, especially the leather seats. We have had no major problems. We will buy another one just like it when this one is gone.

Great family SUV

by Acura++ from on Sat May 13 2017

I purchased a 2003 Acura MDX brand new and have had it for 14 years. It is safe, reliable, low maintenance, and a great all-around family SUV. The family liked it so much we purchased a new one to replace it. Highly recommended.

Previous owner did not do this car justice

by TheTallOne from Colorado Springs, CO on Sun Mar 19 2017

I bought this car used with over 100k miles on it for a fair price. However, since then its been nothing but a bottomless money pit. New transmission. Fixed A/C twice. New Axel just to name a few of the endless issues I've had. Now this may not exactly speak for the car itself but I believe the previous owner treated this car like garbage. I've owned it for 5 years and had to put more money in then I paid for it in the first place and now the KBB value is very low. When it is in between problems, i love the car, great smooth ride, excellent acceleration and great handling. Just never seem to go more than a few month without a new problem. This is a case of buyer beware, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2003 Acura MDX

Last week, we tested the redesigned 2004 Lexus RX 330, which we consider to be the gold standard in luxury crossover vehicles. This week, we drive one of its nearest competitors, the Acura MDX, which has been noticeably improved for model year 2003.

The '03 MDX, which is built in Ontario and shares many of its parts with the Honda Pilot, starts at under $36,000. But our test model, equipped with a $2,600 touring package, $1,500 DVD entertainment system and $2,200 navigation system, carried a hefty $42,500 sticker.

Unlike the RX 330, we felt the MDX falls just short of being world-class.

He: So far, this has been a bumper year for luxury crossover vehicles, with many fine new entries, from... Read More