2008 RL

2008 Acura RL

2008 Acura RL

Have You Driven the 2008 Acura RL?

Balance of Sport and Luxury

by Scott from Boston on Thu Nov 13 2008

I looked at many cars in this class before choosing this one. Upscale sedans all blended together in my mind after a while. They try to equal each other on features so the sale price, some 20% off sticker for the RL cinched it. Brief comparison: Lincoln MKZ: cramped for tall drivers Cadillac CTS: Nice, try it. Was my first runner up. GM worries me though. Mercedes: C series cramped, E series 18k more for same equipment. BMW 3 series cramped, 5 series 18k more for same equipment. Infinity G high window sills, tight seats. If M goes on sale, consider. Lexus: Costs much more to get into AWD in the GS, IS has no back seat ES has very low strange back doors and is a sleepy car. Sit in the RL and you feel like you're in command. Adjust the seat just right and views are good all around. Car is big inside, trim outside. It is so gadget laden I am still finding out 6 months later. Lotsa voice commands, which are more direct than fiddling with menu selects. GPS sometimes sends you on side streets when the less direct route would have been faster. Car on the road is sure-footed and fast. There is too much isolation from the road and it's too quiet to be a sports car, but corner close to the limit and it overdrives the outside rear tire (the SH-AWD). It is something to feel. Can't wait for winter. Feel confident in bad weather like no other car. Cars with bigger engines may have better acceleration, so you save a second getting on the highway, and pay more for gas every hour you drive. 290 HP more than sufficient, unless you're a car tester comparing, say a V8 Infinity M. 7.2 0-60 is fast, people. The car has active noise cancellation which makes it extremely quiet, eliminating low frequency tire noise, so the only sounds are a little wind, but you notice how quiet when a rear seat passenger speaks. They don't have to raise their voice. Stereo is amazing, and I'm not a Bose fan. Super car is all aspects of comfort, features and performance. With honda reliability, a great choice. I Like the styling. If you must have a look at me I've arrived crutch, it is not for you. If you like saving money and getting more car than the euro models, I think you'd be smart to see it.

Great car for the money!

by Bee from Saint Paul, MN on Sat Oct 05 2013

This car has all of the features that you would want in a luxury sedan. Heated leather seats, keyless entry, power everything, navigation, back-up camera, and the list goes on and on. There are so much features on this car that I I haven't discovered everything there is to know yet. The car rides smooth and takes corners really well thanks to the super handling all wheel drive. The power is sufficient for this car at 290 horsepower. The gas mileage could be better as I only get around 23 mpg combined.

Solid as a rock!

by Hard Drive from Los Angeles on Sat Dec 15 2012

I was looking to buy a 5 series but changed my mind because I didn't want to come off as pretentious. I'm so glad I did!!! I have to say I love this car. Why? First of all I love the power, efficiency, and reliability of this beautiful V6. Then there's the styling especially the rear of the car, beautiful! Now for the ride, it's solid but not to firm like you would find in a BMW or to soft like you would find in a Lexus, it's just right. Might have a lot to do with the Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SHAWD).

Great Unloved Ride

by 80targa from Grayson, GA on Thu Jun 29 2017

you cannot beat the value of the RL - its under appreciated - unloved - this car has a ton of power - is really comfortable - has an awesome AWD transmission - rides smooth - great VTEC motor - all that and mid to high 20's MPG on the highway. I have owned a lot of Acura's this one is the best. Never understood why this car was not more popular.

Experience a great car

by Car experience from NC on Sat Apr 26 2014

Had a 1997 RL and enjoyed so much purchased a 2008 RL. Great car for luxury and performance. Would recommend.

Best overall car I have ever owned

by Lawrence Gorman from Philadelphia, PA on Fri Feb 16 2018

Best all all around car I have ever owned - the AWD is awesome, particularly in snow, and it is fitted with luxury amenities FAR ahead of its time - dual temp controls, dual seat warmers, built in rear window shades and power back window shade, back up camera, VTEC, XM, Navigation,etc etc.

Excellence

by EFW from Colorado on Thu May 12 2011

The RL is one of the finest cars I've ever driven or owned. Well engineered down to the last detail. The performance, handling, and comfort are all in balance delivering an exciting driving experience every time I step into the car.

A good find

by Hondafanatic from Sout Florida on Tue Mar 13 2012

Let me admit that I am a believer in Honda products having driven the first one back in 1985 and have owned one ever since. There are four members of the household and we all driver honda products. I will buy second hand as against new because of the savings and also because I have an outstanding mechanic so Idon't have to pay Dealer service prices. The car I bought was a 2008RLTEC with 18500 miles on the clock. I made sure I took it to my mechanic to be assed by him and also purchased an extended warranty. The car is impecable inside and out except for the leather on the center console and the armrest on the drivers door that is showing signs of usage- this the mechanic tells me is a weakness of the 2005-2008 models. On highways I maintaned a speed of ten miles above posted and got an MPG three miles above rated. I am a technically challenged person so I am still having fun learning all the tec. features like the bluetooth,voice commands,backup camera,the paddle shift etc,etc.

Surprised !

by Bill from Western MA on Thu Feb 03 2011

Having owned and accumulated hundreds of thousands of miles on Acura's and Honda's, I am a bit surprised with the silly little things that seem wrong with this vehicle. Nothing major, just little things like electronics (clock resets to Greenwich mean time every time I start it). Also, very poor engineering of windshield jet sprays (it should hit higher on the windshield). I can live with them, as i have also owned Saab's and have come to expect them, but they are not things you typically expect from a Honda vehicle. Very comfy car, nonetheless.

Love Love Love it...

by TSperry13 from North Aurora on Sun Nov 12 2017

You can not go wrong with an Acura RL. This is my 5th one that I have purchased used... runs forever.

1 2