2003 RSX

2003 Acura RSX

$38 - $12,670  MSRP Range
2003 Acura RSX

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have you driven the 2003 Acura RSX?

Fun factor

by LLMax from New Jersey on Tue Sep 02 2008

I bought my 03 Acura RSX Type S in December of 2006. I have owned it for about a year and a half now, and I really love it. I decided I really wanted one of these when I drove a friend's S2000. A few reviews of the type S compared its driving dynamics to the S2000 and I must say that its almost as fun to drive. I haven't driven the base RSX, but the type S if very fun to drive. It should be apparent from its shape and size that the back seat can be pretty cramped for rear passengers if they are above a certain height, but a smaller car also has some advantages. For example, you can fit into smaller parking spaces much easier. The gearbox is very good, and it shifts just about as quick as you hand can move it. After learning how to quickly shift this six-speed, I understood why they call it a short "throw" shifter. You pretty much just slap, or throw the shifter from one gear to the other. This adds to the fun that the engine already provides. The cams change at 2 different RPMs. Under 3000 rpms, there is very little power and you can probably ride a bike faster up a hill than drive when under 3000 rpms. But after 3000 rpms, you get little upgrade (burst) in accelleration. The major fun begins after the tach hits the 6000 rmp marker. The cams change again at 6000 and the burst of speed you get between 6000 and 8000 is one of the most important reasons to own the type S. The handling is pretty good, excellent if you are comparing with other front drive vehicles, but even the best front drive vehicles don't have the great turning dynamics of many rear and awd cars. Oversteer is the only missing ingredient, but this car is still loads of fun.

Awesome Car

by Caos2100 from Rahway,NJ on Sun May 23 2010

I just recently upgraded to the 03' RSX from a 96' integra. I loved my integra but the RSX is an amazing thing of beauty. Its interior is design to spoil the senses: from its beautiful lines and textures, to its extremely comfortable seats, even the way the interior is lit at night.

Great Car!

by RSX type-S Lvr from Blackstone, VA on Sat Sep 05 2009

This car has 162000 miles on it and the only money I've put into it is general maintenance--and 4 or so sets of tires. It is by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. Even though it's 7 model years old (I've had it 6) I still enjoy driving it. It generally gets 33-35 mpg (I have a long commute). It still gets admiring looks and positive comments from other people. Oh, and it's fun to drive.

Amazingly Fun Sport Compact!

by Jay Jay from Kansas City, KS on Wed Jun 30 2010

I've owned my 03 Type-S for over 6 years now I plan on owning it easily for another 6 years. Mine has been tastefully upgraded with the full A-Spec body kit and Mugen Sport Suspension (1.4" drop). It looks and handles like it should have straight from the factory. It is an absolute blast to drive and it still runs like it did when I bought it at 13K miles. My Type-S only has 54K (city) miles on it as i write this. The only issue I have ever had with this car is a clicking noise from the clutch master cylinder (easily remedied by just greasing the pushrod). I do all of my own maintainence on this car and it is a breeze to work on. This is not a quiet car. It has it's fair share of rattles and the cabin is fairly noisy. It's also not a comfortable car for long road trips. The leather seats are hard and don't offer much support.

Lotsa fun.

by Original owner from Blackstone, VA on Tue Dec 23 2008

I'm not a car geek but I really enjoy this car. It now has almost 143,000 miles on it and has required one brake job (last summer) and only routine maintenance. I hope to have it another 143,000 miles. It's too bad they don't make it any more!

Excellent driving machine

by First Time Acura Owner from Philadelphia, PA on Tue Jun 19 2007

You really can't get any more bang for your buck than what you get in this little package. The Type-S handles like it has superglue on its tires and has enough power to keep the speed junky in your satisfied for awhile.

Amazing Car

by College Car Guy from Boston, MA on Wed Apr 18 2007

I have a 2003 RSX base model with automatic transmission and I must say its amazing. Ya its a little lacking on low-end torque and horsepower but even for a base model with auto transmission, its quick. The handling is incredible and allows me to take corners with confidence and ease. Its my first car and I love it. It's too bad that they are no longer making it.

No other coupe of its class compares to it

by Johnny from Washington, D.C. on Tue Feb 13 2007

The precision of the engineering, the classy style, and unique road feel really make me look forward to driving my RSX. It has unbelievable handling and it's quick off the line. The ride is a little choppy, but the handling and control make up for it. I just wish they put in an arm rest for those highway trips. The seats in the back don't need a cheesey, plastic divider, but they have more seating room than any other sub-compact car. And there is plenty of trunk space with the hatchback; the seats fold down and I can fit a couple mountain bikes with other gear.

Very Sporty RSX

by DK from Portland, OR on Fri Aug 22 2014

I had my 2003 RSX for a little over a year and I really enjoyed owning the car. Pros: very fun to drive. Took curves really well and had great acceleration for a 4 cyl automatic. I liked how the car looked and even when I purchased it in 2012, it still looked like a new design. The interior looks cool and the seats are very contoured. Cons: not very comfortable on long trips. It's a sports car so it was quite a bumpy ride. Interior panels and parts would rattle frequently. I ended up trading my car in because I learned that my transmission was on it's way out. I know that Honda/Acura had transmission issues during this time period so I wasn't surprised. I was sad to see it go as it was one of the most fun cars I've had. Unfortunately, the new car I purchased, a 2014 Focus, has turned out to be a disappointment.

Great car!

by Nurse Nice the Acura Fan from Northern CA on Sun Jun 08 2014

I have had the -2003 RSX-S for many years, nothing other than regular maintenance (and of course tires and brakes and a new battery) has been needed.My previous car, an Acura Integra was the same, and when it came time to replace, I was lucky to find this one, used but metIculously maintained. Every time I get an oil change or go to the dealer, the fellows there give me their cards and tell me to contact them should I ever want to sell it. The back seat is for smaller folks ONLY- yes- is the only real drawback, but since this is a commute car for me (and jaunts with just one other person), not an issue for me. Its a great car, has lots of nice features like a sunroof and cruise control for longer drives. Check the Specs- it is fully ?loaded?. The only real drawback may be that it is high on the great to steal list- which just occurred to me. Acck., Gratefully, it as found intact.. I do appreciate it all the more now! I have been told by those in the know- that 500K may be a mileage to shoot for! wowza!

1 2 3