2007 A3

2007 Audi A3

2007 Audi A3

Have you driven the 2007 Audi A3?

Audi A3 - the return of the "hot" hatch

by Mister Car Guy from Northern New Jersey on Thu Dec 09 2010

I first sat in an Audi A3 at the NY Auto Show in the spring of 2006. I immediately knew that this was the car for me. Kind of love at first sit. I had to wait until spring of 2007 to get mine (money and space to park it around Chez Car Guy). In the past 35,000 miles, it's been a model of reliability and fun. Mine has the peppy 2.0 L turbo matched to a slick-shifting 6 speed. And while I live in snow country, I opted for the FWD model shod with decent all season Pirelli tires. This combination offers less complexity than the Quattro models and is more "tossable in fast corners (stop wagging your fingers - yes - I do engage in anti-social exit/entrance ramp activities!) My car is the "S Line" with better springs, wheels and tires. This option also adds leather and a few other goodies. I also got the dual sunroof and BOSE sound system. It's all good. Despite the knock on the day to day reliability of most German cars (save Porsche), mine has been nearly bullet proof. Unfortunately, not 100% since the car came delivered with a mis-aligned front end which wore out the front tires prematurely. Since putting on new tires and having an independent shop fix the alignment, all is right with the world. Mileage is an amazing 28MPG over the life of the car (I track this religiously - yes, every Sunday) and on occasion - long trips, sensible speeds - have touched 32MPG on a few tanks. I feed it premium fuel as recommended by Audi. I use a good quality synthetic oil (Castrol 5-40 - same as factory fill) and do not have to add any between changes. It isn't especially fast but the engine makes its max torque at a very low 2,000 RPM so it's really flexible in real world driving. I would call it "quick" and that translates to a fun to drive car, at least for me. The trunk, despite the station wagon like shape is only pretty good. The removable hatch cover limits how much junk you can pack back there. With the seats folded (split or both sides down), you can carry a lot more. All in all, my Audi A3 is one hot little hatch, combining safety, quality, reliability, economy and that elusive "fun to drive" quality missing from so many of today's cars.

The best car I've ever owned!

by Busy Mom from Houston, Texas on Sat Feb 02 2008

I have the 3.2 S Line and I love it! It was a huge decision to downsize from my Ford Expedition to the Audi A3 - especially with 3 kids to consider. I'm 5'7" and my eldest 2 are both taller than me. We live 25 miles from school and this car gets us there and back comfortably. The trunk easily copes with 3 large backpacks, musical instruments and sports gear - and there's still room to spare. I work at a luxury car dealership (not Audi) and it's always such a relief to get back into my own car. It handles beautifully, has enough acceleration to zip in and out of traffic, and is absolutely solid. I hope I'm always fortunate enough to own a car I love this much.

Get the DSG -- You'll thank me later...

by smarkle from Atlanta, GA on Sun Jul 01 2007

After years of stubborn insistence that manual trannys are best, the A3's DSG finally got me to switch. It's that good. Over the years I've passed over otherwise wonderful cars (most notably the lovely Audi A4 cabrio) simply because they didn't offer a stick shift (I bought a BMW 325 convertible instead). I first drove the DSG in the VW GTI, and was immediately blown away by how smooth and seamless the shifts were. Power from the 2.0T engine is also impressive. All of the articles I read said that the DSG was actually faster than the manual, and after driving it I believe it. I've been driving manual cars almost exclusively for nearly 20 years, and I don't think I could possibly shift that fast. Especially in "S" mode it will really put you back in your seat. The DSG even downshifts aggressively with a nice throttle blip at each step. I was really afraid I would miss clutching and shifting my own gears, but the A3 with the DSG is so much fun to drive I don't miss it at all. I can still shift if I want via the nifty steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, but I rarely do... The "D" setting is ideal for my relaxed morning commute while I sip my coffee -- and "S" is great when I want to spice things up a bit. Considering that the A3 and GTI are virtually the same car, why did I choose the Audi? I actually think the VW is a better value (it starts at around $3K less and offers some standard features that are optional on the Audi -- like the 6-disc in-dash CD changer). I think they're both great cars (and if getting the most bang-for-your-buck is important go for the GTI), but I found the A3 to be weighted more towards luxury than sport -- which was a better match for what I wanted. And frankly the Audi rings also have a little more cachet than the VW symbol -- and there's something to be said for that, too.

A3 sport and utility in one package

by soccer dad from Miami Florida on Thu Mar 15 2012

Bought my 2007 S-line open sky brand new. Five years later it still feels tight..like new. It is super fun to drive with the dual-clutch transmission (DSG) and turbo engine, razor sharp handling...Fuel efficient is great although it will waist alot more gas in sports mode. Reliability has not been an issue..no worse than my honda civic. Insurance is the icing on the cake as you will pay for a wagon although it is really a sports car. Folding seats provided ample cubic space for loaiding and transporting larger objects. Overall very flexiable car.

Nice package

by Knarzian from TX on Thu Jul 19 2007

A wagon that's really fun to drive yet gets good mileage. The interior is nice, but could be improved. The hand brake is poorly located.

2.0T 6 Speed Manual

by Fast A3 from Plano, Tx on Sat Aug 20 2011

very quick compact five-door, the S-line body kit realy give it the "Sport" look, the balanced exterior trim makes it stands above the crowd. But the best thing about this car is ripping it through the gears of the six-speed manual box, feeling it hit 5,000-5,500 rpms and really begin to fly. You could easily hit 80 mph in 3rd gear. i'm aveg. 23 MPG in town and 30 MPG Hwy

Drives by everything including the gas pump

by 29 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Fort Myers, Florida on Sat Jan 13 2007

I have an A3 with the 3.2, and what a fun car! That open sky system is so neat, and give the passengers a good look at the sky. The A3 seems small, but it is about the size of an A4, just with a hatch. It is very quick of the line(0-60 in about 5.9 seconds), but it accelerates well on the highway too. The shocks are a little bit questionable, but not bad. This vehicle has been so reliable, and it is still under warranty. The rear seats fold down for added versatility. My only complaint is that I would have liked to get it in dark blue, but Audi does not offer that color on the A3. Another bonus is 29 mpg I get on the highway. The navigation system is so easy to use, especially when comparing them with BMW's i Drive system. The Vienna leather is very, very, very smooth and soft and comfortable. My recommendation: GET THIS CAR!

A Total Gem

by Angelino Driver from Los Angeles, CA on Wed Feb 24 2010

I've driven a lot of cars. We had a Mercedes E63 in my home which I'd sometimes drive. I've routinely driven the BMW 3-series (both the last model and the current model), as well as many other cars. I bought my A3 Premium Package with the DSG and Open Sky in 2007. This car is just perfect. This is the best car I've owned, and I can't get over the value.

Most fun I've had driving

by Mid-life Driver from Charlottesville, VA on Fri Nov 16 2007

I immediately liked the styling of both the exterior and interior of the A3. Once I took it for a test drive I was hooked! The acceleration and handeling are superb.

Steezy and fun!

by DaveAuctions from utah on Sat Feb 14 2015

I purchased my 2007 audi a3 in November 2014 and have loved it! The acceleration is quick, gas mileage is great I typically get 25-27 around town. Road trips I'm getting around 32. I love the style of the A3, the hatchback is tough to beat for cruising around town. Replaced the timing belt at 80k. I'd say the downfall to owning it is maintenance can be expensive. Overall ive been really happy and satisfied with this car and I'll get complimented on it.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2007 Audi A3

Audis keep getting better, from the "entry-level" A3 to the top-of-the-line S8. They also keep getting more expensive.

Case in point: Our 2007 A3 3.2 Quattro S line, which carried a price tag of $42,300. You understand why we put the term "entry-level" in quotes.

Outside of the jaw-dropping sticker and a few quibbles, there isn't much to dislike about the A3 3.2 Quattro.

SHE: OK, just let me get this out of the way, so we can heap lots of praise on the A3. But didn't you tell me this compact five-door hatchback shares its basic running gear with the Volkswagen Rabbit? And doesn't the Rabbit start at just over $15,000? I really love the A3, but I'm having trouble figuring out where Audi put that extra... Read More