2000 A6

2000 Audi A6

2000 Audi A6

4.1

Have you driven the 2000 Audi A6?

Mixed Bag -- Mostly Good

by Full Measure from New Hampshire on Wed Sep 27 2006

Because I refuse to throw money away on new cars, I do my research, and purchase good used cars instead. A multi-month, out-of-state job contract in early 2004 (during a New England winter), drove me to consider a "fast, comfortable, safe all weather fighter". The Audi A6 Quattro is exactly that. But let's cut to the chase: PROS This car is extremely comfortable, stable, and quick (the more so after adding a Dahlback ECU chip and a couple of accompanying goodies that have boosted BHP to the 320 range, and torque into the 360 lb/ft range). This car now flies. CONS Gas mileage (in stock form) wasn't great. My highway mpg was in the 24 range, with 19 around town. It's about the same, or slightly better, now, due to more efficient fuel mix programming. I had a spate of repairs during the first year that totaled almost 6K. Because I had bought the car 'right', I could absorb the cost and still be ahead with regard to book value, but it still hurt. IMPORTANT: Find an after-market shop with trained audi techs. Do NOT have your work done at a dealer, where you're supporting the overhead of expensive commercial real estate, flashy showrooms, large payrolls, etc. Bottom line: A great car, but very expensive to fix. Great in bad weather, and generally a joy to drive, if you're not a congenital miser about your gas $$$.

Audi does not stand behind product

by Fool Me Once from wausau, wi on Sun Jun 03 2007

This car is a joy to drive. The fit, finish, and appointments are everything an entry level luxury auto should be. The underlying problem is with the 2.8 and 2.7T engine design, there is a recurring failure of engine gaskets and seals usually caused by the crankcase breather tube or the valve/pump included in the breather system. When cold weather arrives, meaning freezing temps, the probability or costly service repairs increases dramatically. This is a fine performing car with great handling, but you should be prepared to incur high maintenance costs during cold weather. I have not been able to find a cure for the problem at an Audi dealer, which indicates the manufacturer would not acknowledge the existance of this engineering glich. Mechanically the car is great, the engine strong, the biturbos exciting, the ride is smooth and quite. It is the best of cars and the worst or cars all at the same time.

Does not recommend this car!!

every two months make an appt with a mechanic

by Loved it for the looks from toledo on Mon Dec 22 2008

I loved this car so much when I saw it and even more when I drove it. Then I brought it home and had to replace so many things (including catalytic converter to the tune of 3500) I have dumped so much money into this car in the last 5 years thinking it will be the last major repair. Alas, I am still waiting for that magical 6 month span where I don't spend a MINIMUM of 1000 on repairs. Still love the looks and the comfort though.

Perfect Performance sedan

by Audi driver from New York, NY on Wed Nov 18 2009

My wife and I are really enjoying this car and only needed to take it in for repair once. We have 110,000 miles on it now. With the combination of sports car performance, phenomenal handling, space for our family and then the 4 wd traction in the snow, since we get a lot of snow here in New York I can't see a car that would fill ourt need better. Thumbs up Audi!

Very comfortable and luxury car, worth the price

by owner of several import cars from Cleveland, Ohio on Fri Jun 21 2013

Very comfortable and luxury car, worth the price. It have been proved very reliable and close to none for winter driving under snow and stormy conditions. Highly recommended.

Exceptionally well built vehicle

by Audi A6 Turbo Enthusiast from New York, NY on Mon Sep 09 2013

We have been loyal Toyota fans but are now willing to expand our loyalty to include the Audi family of vehicles. The RELIABILITY, safety and overall workmanship are superior to any other in this vehicles class. Without reservation, I would recommend Audi and their lineup of vehicles to anyone currently researching and/or thinking about purchasing one!

Diamond in the rough if it's taken care of

by CubsFan from Chicago, IL on Sun Jun 18 2017

This car exceeded my expectations on a daily basis. To be 17 years old and offer so many options that cars today don't even have just blew me away. I will admit that the bill from the mechanic for any reason was definitely humbling but if you aren't already motivated to take care of the car, that would surely do it. If taken care of properly, it will prove to be a truly amazing car every time the engine turns over.

Great Dealer, Good Cars

by 2nd time Buyer from Chicago IL on Wed Apr 02 2014

Highly recommend buying from these guys, 2nd time buying here and after a few weeks I have nothing to complain about, you get great friendly service, they're open for negotiation and very honest about the service that has been done to the car and what might need to be done in the future. Special thanks to the owner, my family is definitely very happy.

expensive to maintain but great car

by audi junkie from Olathe, KS on Fri Feb 25 2011

I bought this car used with known front end issues before I bought it. I got it for a great price at about $4000. Total it has cost me around $6200 to get it running correctly. Buying a brand new car costs much more in the long run and having a reliable used German vehicle pays for itself. I will buy an Audi again and it will be a used one. For now I am very happy with my A6 4.2L and would tell anybody to buy one. Its power and comfort compares to any car on the road today.

I should have heeded the warnings

by Disappointed Car Guy from Minneapolis, MN on Tue Mar 16 2010

I bought the best 4.2 A6 I could find. It had 75,000 miles, but it was in perfect shape. I drove a bunch of them. It is beautiful, comfortable and drives nice. The power is nice, but it is not a very sporty drive possibly because the the handling is so secure. I am not rich, this is a rich man's car. It is for someone who doesn't mind spending 1 to 2 thousand dollars every 6 months on repairs and maintenance. Consumer Reports says Audi has improved their reliability in the last two years--I don't see how they could survive if they didn't. I thought maybe all the awesome engineering is just impossible to keep working, well we know other car companies could do it, just not Audi. I know that the 4.2 was $50K when it was new and it is very different from the other A6s, but the parts and labor cost as much on a used Audi as a new one. I went to a small German car repair shop that was much cheaper than the dealer and it was still too expensive to keep it going because little things failed all the time. I loved owning this car because of how I felt to drive it, but I was kidding myself and causing too much financial stress on my family. As I said, I am not a rich man--but I got to drive like one for a while. It was an expensive lesson to learn.

1 2

Our Take on the 2000 Audi A6

I have to grin when I hear a car like this categorized as a "low-end luxury" machine. Just the ticket for a simple fellow like me - I'll take two of them. Low end only in comparison with what might be styled wretched excess luxury cars, the Audi A6 4.2 quattro would do very nicely till my dot-com venture goes public. The A6 is the middle of the range that Audi sells in the U.S., bridging the gap between the affordable A4 and the magnificent, but truly luxurious, aluminum-bodied A8. For the 2000 model year, the A6's designers have sneaked into the A8 parts depot and lifted an engine to stir the soul, the same one the flagship itself uses.

This creates three clear choices for the prospective buyer... Read More