2000 Audi S 4

Typical German Car

by from Chicagoland, IL on August 12, 2010

The Audi S4 is a fantastic car when it works. I'm writing this review after 3 months of purchase. I purchased the car used with 47,000 miles on it. Do your research when buying this car (do a search for b5 s4 forums and you will find it). I did and everything that I found out that the S4 typically needs, this car needed it. Be ESPECIALLY careful with the manual transmissions. The original design of the 1-2 gear selector in the trans is known for seizing. If the car doesn't smoothly shift into 1st and 2nd, be prepared for a trans rebuild. There is a redesigned 1-2 selector that fixes the engineering flaw of the original, so once you fix it, it should be fine. This is a twin turbo car as well. This car has 2 K03 turbos that, if not taken care of properly, will fail on you (like every other turbocharged car). So don't spool up the turbos before you turn off your car. Those are the 2 major things to look at when purchasing the B5 style S4. When the car is working, it is extremely fun to drive. The handling is fantastic and the amount of upgrades you can do is outstanding. You can get this car to 400 bhp no problem (but expensive). The interior is a pleasant place to be and the exterior styling is subtle but sporty. If you don't work on cars and aren't willing to spend 2-3k per year on maintenance, then stay away from this car. If you are willing to spend the money or are mechanically inclined and have your own tools, I struggle to think of a car that I'd rather have for what these used B5 S4s are going for.

S4's are sic

by from on November 8, 2010

luv this car.I would recommend this car to anyone who wants fast with a smooth ride. The turbos can be iffy if you beat on them. but all in all a very nice car.

I LOVE my S4

by from hartford, ct on October 29, 2009

to say that I love my S4 does not cover it. I have a very bad back and the seats in the S4 are a dream to sit in and drive. everything about this car from the way it looks to the way it handles in the snow, rain, or on a dry road makes it fun to drive all the time. I find myself getting up early just to drive it on an empty road, once you drive one you'll know why

Most Solid Sports Car I've Owned

by from Wichita, KS on June 29, 2008

The 2000 S4 has had poor reliability and is difficult to work on, but after I got past working on my car one month of every year, I realized that the suspension is one of the best in the world that is not electronically assisted. Moreover, it is one of the, if not the best Audi tuner in the world. The frame, drive train, and general design of the car is the most solid basis for suspension and engine upgrades I have ever driven. Apart from tuning, this car feels like a luxury car until you get the engine in its power band and it just cruses, the car always has more to give. And Audi thought of everything except reliability when making this vehicle, but if you like working on cars or you have the funds to take it to the Audi dealer every three months, this car is unbeatable by any other car without electronics to assist its ride.

The Leader in Sport Luxury

by from Wichita, KS on July 17, 2009

I have owned this car for almost four years now, and it is not only one of Audi's best, but one of the world's best for its era, and for today. After putting 100,000 miles on this car, my review is as follows: It lost a star on comfort because it is not as fluid of a car as a fully bread luxury car such as the Audi S8. It lost a star on performance because it didn't have the fastest 0 - 60 speed of a few cars in its price range in its day. It gets five stars on handling because it has an extremely tight suspension matched with an unmatched Quattro that will beat most cars that can out accelerate it. It gets five stars on exterior styling because the design was new in it's day, but still simple and seems to say that it has nothing to prove. It gets five stars on interior design because after almost ten years and 160,000 total miles, every original feature works like new! It lost a star on features because, again, it doesn't have the features of a pure breed luxury car. It gets five stars on value for the money because, although it isn't the fastest or most luxurious car, it is an excellent blend between sport and luxury that is well worth the money. It lost a star on reliability because it requires a spare part here and there that is not bad, but it requires a little bit of attention (which any Audi enthusiast should be willing to give). I gave it a total of five stars because in its day it was one of the top sports cars, and one of the best luxury cars, and it is still good today, just cheeper!

Our Expert Review: 2000 Audi S 4