2011 128

2011 BMW 128

2011 BMW 128

Have You Driven the 2011 BMW 128?

Love it

by Larry from San DIego on Wed Jan 05 2011

Ok, about three months ago I took the plunge and ordered a 2011 128I convertible. The main factor in my decision was that I wanted a sporty convertible that wasnt just like everyone elses and delivered good performance. This would be about my 12th new car starting with a 1980 AMC spirit (yikes) and including Fords, Pontiacs, Jeeps, and Suzukis. I looked at he mini convertible and the volkswagon convertible (wife said it was too much of a chick car). I had owned a mustang convertible and was never really happy with it so I did not consider one this time. The car arrived a few weeks ago, it is titainium silver with the coral red leather interior. I added the value package and satellite radio but did not go for the nav or the the comfort entry (allows you to drive with the key in your pocket, didn't seem worth the money to me). My first impression of the car was that is was beautiful and everything worked, every seam, every stitch, every body panel was perfect. my dealer experiance was great, in fact I can't think of a single problem with the purchase. Driving the car is a true joy. The motor (which is the same one used int he 3 and 5 series but in a much lighter car) is really smooth and powerful, it seems like it requires no effort to move the car (The car only has 800 miles at this point so I have not used it at full power) and the sound is just right, It kind of screams precision. Handling is a little on the sporty side (read firm over bumps but glass smooth at 80 on the interstate) and it feels like it is glued to the road. The convertible top it pretty quiet at road speeds and a breeeze to put up and down. The back seat is small on this car, you should think of it as good for 2 adults and 2 children it would be really hard to fit 4 adults for any length of time. It is packed full of cool things that the brochures dont tell you about. 1 button folds in and out the side mirrors, the display on the dash changes colors automatically whan the sun shines on it for high visibility, 1 button will raise and lower all the windows at the same time, The computer reports when the outside conditions could cause icing and slippery roads. Learning to use all the features can be difficult so keep the manual close, you will be doing a lot of reading (I am an engineer, even so it is not all that intuitive). The transmission requires a few days to learn your driving style so at first it is kind of mushy but after a while is works flawlessly. In the end, I am really pleased with the car it is more than I expected. As a side note, the car attracts attention like nothing I have ever driven. Little kids hang out of van windows and scream "nice car" people stop you to tell you it is beautiful- That never happened with the mustang.

128 Convertible

by Auggie from Miami FL on Tue Oct 25 2011

I've had the car now for over 3 months and am very happy with it. The moment you hit the start button and the engine roars, it's gotta put a smile on your face. Cons: as a convertible it's hard to get in and out, the back seats are very limited but better than most of the competition. The body panels create a few drip lines that are always dirty (mine is white), at the back edge of the roof, and just under the door panels. Not good on gas, about 18MPG in the city is the best I've gotten. Bells and whistles cost a fortune, I went barebones. The ride is bumpy so make sure this is the car you want to drive every day. Pros: the engine sound, the steering, the handling, the acceleration, definitely worth the price of admission, and when the top comes down, that's when the fun starts.

Fun and Stylish

by Missouri BMW Fan from St. Louis, MO on Mon Jul 26 2010

I am enjoying my new 2011 128i that I received in July 2010. I bought the coupe and find that the motor responds very well ( I traded in a 328i at 230hp as well). Quiet ride and very good tightness to the car. I also recommend getting the iDrive system as it makes the driving experience more enjoyable all around. I do not have kids or rarely have people in my backseat so, this is the right car for me.

2011 128i

by F1Flagger from N.E. PA. on Wed May 18 2011

This is my first BMW. Came out of a '04 G35 Coupe. I must say I am impressed. Hard to put a finger on it but feels like it was built out of a solid block. Handles GREAT! The back seat is small but I do not need it. Seats fold down so lots of rum for luggage for my Wife and I. Like everyone who owns one The run flat tires suck! When they wear out I will go with a regular performance tire. With only 500 miles on it now I can not comment on reliability. But people I know that own BMW have no major gripes. Looking forward to a long drive to Montreal next month for the F1 race!

Sports car with 4 seats

by Chipster from Philadelphia, PA on Thu Nov 04 2010

I've owned "premium" cars from Lexus and Infiniti before buying a BMW Z4 roadster 3 years ago. While I decided my next car had to have 4 seats, I was hooked on the BMW driving experience. The 2011 128 convertible I bought in June 2010 has been perfect. The handling is great, the ride is comfortable, and the quality is typical BMW, even though this is the "entry" model in the lineup. Rear setting room is tight, but it's generally only my wife and I in the car. When we go out with friends, no one minds the back seats for the 20 - 30 minutes it takes to get to a restaurant. Having owned cars ranging from the above Lexus/Infiniti sedans to Mazda RX-8 and Miatas, the 1 Series has delivered the best blend of performance/handling and utility.

Sporty Little Performance Coupe

by LMN from SC on Thu Mar 17 2011

I am a small car person. I was looking for an upscale coupe in a small package. For me, the 3 series coupe was too big. I love the 128i. The 128i rides like a dream, has all the bells and whistles I wanted, has great power and still gets decent gas milage. The car makes me smile when I get in it! I haven't had my car long enough to really comment on relability but since the car is a BMW, I hope it has few (if any) service issue. This is the pefect car if you don't need much of back seat but want BMW quality in a small package. My only complaints are (1) the options (bells and whistles) really add up when it comes to sticker price and (2) the run flat tires which are expensive to replace. Overall, I am very happy with this sporty, yet sophisticated coupe!

Most reliable car that i have.

by Mljalil from Miami, Fl on Wed Nov 01 2017

Its great to have a convertible and be able to have your friends enjoy the fun. It’s a fun car especially living in Miami.

Love this BMW

by BMWFan from az on Sun Aug 15 2010

This is my first BMW. I'm hooked. It handles like a dream, is so fun to drive and comfortable for long trips. I went from and suv to this and I had reservations on the size. But I'm really happy with it and I don't think I'll own anything else but a BMW for now on. 5 stars all the way around. With all this car does, it's a real value. Surprisingly roomy in the back, I have a soft top which leaves plenty of room in the trunk for my needs. Interior two-toned beige and black is really nice.

after one month, I love my car.

by Nelson in Miami Beach from Miami Beach, FL on Fri Mar 25 2011

I traded in a 2003 525iT and I couldn't be happier. This thing is awesome, it is tight, handles great, gets fair gas mileage, stops on a dime, and it looks great.

Very nice little car

by Crowfly from Southern Oregon on Wed Mar 23 2011

I'll be honest, I was up until last year a dedicated and loyal Saturn owner. I know it sounds a little funny now that the company has folded, but I had good luck with Saturns. So, I might not be the most knowledgable about German autos. I've never driven anything that thrills me as much as this 128i. It handles excellent, and has as much power as I'll ever need. It has all the bells and whistles, and most come standard. After driving it for almost a year, I can find very little room for change. The only thing I could reccomend as an improvement is to make the second cupholder more accessible.

1 2