2014 328d

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

40.3 lifetime mpg at 12,000mi

by 328d Wagon Lover from New York, NY on February 18, 2015

My wife and I bought this car to haul our two big dogs and lots of stuff. Most of our driving is long haul highway driving - which is why we wanted to buy a diesel. This car is amazing on the highway? We regularly hit 50mpg while cruising and lifetime mpg for our car has been 40.3 mpg at 12,000 mi!! Despite the amazing mpg numbers, this car moves when you want it to. It's not underpowered at all in my opinion. It may not be an M3, but it's plenty fast. And the handling? WOW. The car handles and brakes like a dream. This is why we chose the wagon over the X1 or X3. The added ride height on those cars takes away from both mpg and handling, and unless you need the ground clearance for going off road (Who off-roads in a BMW? If that's your thing, buy a Jeep) or in deep snow, you simply don't need it. The all wheel drive system is fantastic and has no problem getting us up our very steep driveway when it snows. All this, and the car still manages to look sporty and aggressive? not an easy feat for a wagon. Yes, it's expensive, but as of right now there's nothing that compares to it? The Volkswagon TDI wagon is 2WD, and the Taureg TDI and Tiguan TDI can't touch it when it comes to mpg. Same goes for Audi's Q5 and Q7. If Audi or VW ever brings a diesel AWD wagon (like an Allroad Diesel) to the US, this car will have some competition, but until then... Nice work BMW. P.S. - If you do lots of city driving and want amazing mpg, buy a Prius. Diesels achieve high mpg by cruising at low rpms on the highway.

Love my new car!

by bmwgirl from Oak View, CA on August 15, 2014

Love, Love, Love this BMW 3 series - diesel! It is fun to drive, and the gas mileage is remarkably good. There is a nifty little switch that allows the driver to pick the style of driving each time you turn on the engine. Choices are sport, comport and Eco. You can even switch styles while the car is in motion. I had a 3 series years ago - before I had kids, and that little car was a pleasure to drive - now this one lets me relive my carefree driving days! But with much better fuel efficiency! The interior now includes TWO cup holders, although it is a little deprived of cubby holes to stash anything but your phone. ;(

328d wagon

by NH from NH on August 22, 2016

After owning a VW jetta TDI, this car feels like a lot more of an upgrade than I expected. The auto transmission is smooth and the motor's torque/power can be accessed from a much broader rpm/gear range. There is substantially less rear cargo space, but with the beautiful styling I expected that. Like the VW, there is enough backseat space for infant car seats or adults. I get 45 MPG easily. I drive mostly highway, but my VW was more 39-41mpg on the same highways. I love the 'dark oyster' (or whatever they call it) interior. I haven't had this car long enough to run into any reliability concerns. It can't be worse than the VW in that regard. This car is run by electronics, which has its positives and negatives. The one thing I don't like is that the radio stays on after I open the doors when the car is off. Locking the car usually makes it go off, but its weird.

Wonderful Commute

by Commuter from Virginia on April 15, 2014

Have had a 328d for about two months. Obviously the reason I went with the diesel is mpg. In this, I have not been dissappointed. Overall, I have been averaging close to 45 mgp in mixed city and rural driving. The lowest mpg on a tank was 42 mpg, the hightest 49mpg. I usually drive in the EcoPro mode and I do have a light foot. Certainly the vehicle is a bit pricey compared to available Hyundai and Kia products. However, having a vehicle which an owner looks forward to driving every day is, for some, worth the premium. The 328d is not as quick off the line as a gasoline V6 BMW but, be honest, many of us do not bolt from every stop light. Rather, while we enjoy a nice handling vehicle, we generally drive within the traffic laws. For those who fall within this category, like me, the 328d is heaven. Everything on the vehicle works seemlesly. The interior is very comfortable without too much hard plastic. The sound system is superb. The eight speed transmission is a joy, particulary the manual mode. The seats are very comfortable with numerous adjustments. The start-stop feature is not intrusive and is easily turned off by a push button.

Comfort, Style and Amazing Gas Mileage!!

by maq from Western PA on August 31, 2014

I couldn't stop thinking about diesel technology. I am a happy and satisfied BMW owner for 2 decades now. When it was time for a new car, we knew considering a BMW all over again would be in our best interest. After all we've been more than satisfied with our prior BMW purchases. Even more exciting after exploring what BMW had to offer along the 3 series, was the fact that diesel was back in the US market. Really couldn't find any negative reviews; not to mention the EPA ratings on the diesel from what current users were saying was an underestimate of what the engine was actually capable of. Since we purchased it, we have truly enjoyed the luxury ride this sedan can provide. We were also able to confirm that the 328 diesel gets MORE MPG than what the EPA ratings are. Our last drive from poconos PA to Pittsburgh PA offered a whopping 50.8 mpg. Not to mention, plenty of gas left in the tank. Expect the usual BMW comfort and style in this car. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to a friend, and we are very happy with the purchase as we look forward to many years of excellent fuel economy.

Style and fuel economy

by No more minivan from Fort Wayne, IN on October 4, 2014

I purchased this vehicle about 6 months ago. The smaller body style is great for 1 person to drive to work and errands, but still roomy enough for the family to climb in. I love that it is a very comfortable and stylish car, but still gets awesome fuel economy. I get better than the advertised ratings, usually 42 city and up to 49 highway. I usually drive in the eco mode, but the other 2 settings are available to suit your driving style. Even in Eco mode the car has plenty of power and responds quickly for merging, etc. It corners well and shifts smoothly. The passenger cabin is very quiet. The engine does have a little bit of a diesel putter sound at slow speeds, but it disappears over 25 mph. This is my first BMW and first diesel engine car. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Love our 328d Wagon

by Scissortail from Chicago, IL on April 30, 2017

Bought our used 328d with about 40,000 miles on it last fall, to replace a VW Sportswagen diesel. We wanted the wagon for room and love the low, sporty, aerodynamic styling of this model. We've already taken two 2,000 mile trips and we fight over who gets to drive. Its a dream on the highway; performance, comfort, styling. We purchased the extended warranty because we've never owned a BMW, so we're unsure of its upkeep costs. We're hoping for the best because this is our perfect car so far.

Excellent and comfortable car

by Hans Glas fan from Quebec on October 3, 2013

I have now owned the BMW 328 diesel for four months. It is the second BMW 3 series diesel that I have owned. Very good fuel economy at 5 liters per 100km (or 54 mpg Imperial gallon.. The ride is better than the previous BMW, road holding is excellent and the new electrically assisted power steering is a real improvement. There are three driving mode: Eco pro, Comfort and Sport. Rear leg room is much greater than the previous model. So far the quality and reliability is exemplary. Very comfortable and rewarding to drive.0 to 60mph takes 7.5 seconds. A real feel of luxury in the terms of the interior trim and finish. So far I am more than happy with my BMW 3 seriess

Great torque, incredible mileage, sensuous luxury

by raw1md from Salt Lake UT on February 20, 2014

I've been driving this car daily for two months - only two visits to the fueling station! The car has all the attributes of the 3er that has been the luxury sport sedan winner in Car & Driver for a quarter of a century - great handling, handy ergonomics, responsive and smooth engine, almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution (contributing to the fast and sure braking), and luxurious feel. From a dead stop there's a bit of turbo lag, but powering up with the brakes on eliminates that if one really wants to get off the line fast. While cruising the turbo kicks in immediately. Best: 46mpg on a trip to Vegas, with the cruise on 75 constantly, and gradual acceleration.

47 MPG Luxury highway machine

by Central Florida BMW household from Orlando, FL on May 24, 2014

I have had the luxury addition of the 328d for 8 months now. It averages about 47MPG on Florida's roads and I95 up the East coast. This car has navigation, full BMW application suite and a luxury wood and leather interior package. The car is very comfortable over long distances and has tremendous power available at cruising speed to safely navigate around slower traffic. In the city the car is quiet, taught and offers more than enough get up and go when required. I am very pleased with this 328d. I have an X3 and a Z4 and would very much like to see the X3 in a diesel option soon.

1 2 3 4 5