1999 Bmw 540

Beauty and the Beast

by from San Anselmo, CA on August 7, 2017

The 1999 540i is A comfortable well designed 4 door Sedan with leather and power everything. But inside this Beauty is one Beast of a V8 engine. Our model had the Performance package with BMW certified aftermarket Dinan anti sway bar for optimum handling on the Autobahn. You get the picture. Our family of drivers also prefer the extra control of the 6 speed Manuel. Still Mechanically sound at 180k miles and with TLC could certainly see another 100k. As true with most luxury sports cars of this vintage There are minor electrical problems popping up with the stereo radio and a back window. Sunroof is closed but needs to be realigned on its track for full functioning. Otherwise at $4500 to $6500 used this is a great value for a car that can serve as both a reliable family car and one serious sports sedan !

Uses car for Havingfun

Great and very stylish vehicle. Fun to drive.

by from Ontario on April 19, 2017

A nice vehicle to own and very stylish. Fun to drive and also very pleasantly comfortable. Very strong and solid transport. A must have.

Nice car but....

by from Jacksonville, FL on January 1, 2017

Pretty car. Drives great. Very, very expensive to maintain. An alternator and battery $1600 and that's not even at the dealer. My car has 113K miles on it.

Great performance but too costly to maintain

by from Nashville on April 25, 2011

I bought my 540 "port package" sedan new in 1999. I've driven it only 65,000 miles and have maintained it by the book or better. The car is powerful and handles well but is quite expensive to drive. Three water pumps, two radiators, $1800 A/C compressor repair, water leaks, power steering leaks, oil leaks, chews up expensive tires, etc. Oh, and 17 MPG. My ewife had a 328 BMW. It cost a fortune to maintain also. I also have a 2001 Ford Explorer. I've spent less on it for the entire time I've owned it than I've spent on the 540 each year. This is my last BMW.

Not your typical mama wagon

by from Indianapolis, IN on January 26, 2011

This car has power. I've had many mustangs and other sport car enthusiast try to race me. I'm happy to report I beat some of these race fanatics. The best part is belonging to the BMW fan club; the other day an M3 past me on the highway and politely waved as to say "nice car." I proudly nodded and exited the freeway with a grin. You'll love the performance of this wagon.

Great Fun!

by from Kokomo, Indiana on June 9, 2010

I own a 1999 BMW 540I and previously owned a 2000 model as well. They are great fun to drive and if you are mechanically inclined, great fun to work on. The older models of the 5 series have great styling and still have great performance. Bothe my 540i's had abut 100,000 miles on them and still held their looks and funstionality. Everything still works. I like the rear window sun screen and the rain sensor wipers (on my 2000). The 6-speed manual transmissions were in good shape and felt better aftr a lube job. The 4.4 liter v-8 in these cars is notorious for oil leaks. Both of mine needed head cover and timing cover gasket work. I have done all the engine work on my 1999 myself (with the help of a good brother-inlaw and good service manuals). These cars are a good value for the performance you get.

PHENOMINAL AUTOMOBILE

by from Indianapolis on January 18, 2007

One of the best designed cars I've ever owned/driven. Incredible power curve will never allow you to ask "where's the beef". Handles like a dream.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Bmw 540