Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2001 740

2001 BMW 740

$301 - $13,877  MSRP Range

Have You Driven the 2001 BMW 740?

BEST car I've owned! >100K miles still lovin it!

by I LOVE MY BMW!!! from Laguna Beach, CA on Mon Jan 10 2011

I bought my 01 740i, sport pkg, m pkg, nav, steptronic, back in 2006 with 99,500 miles. I was a little worries but my mechanic told me it was a GREAT car and not to be scared of the miles. I bought it and the first thing that went out was the power steering hose. I heard it was common. Still under CPO so fixed free. Umm after that, not much happened. I did spend about $500 I think to arbitrarily replace belts, hoses, spark plugs and wires just to be safe. I would say an ounce of prevention was truly worth its weight in gold. Every now and then, a hose would need replacing, or something minor would need to be addressed. I'd say I spend about $1,000 a year max on maintenance. I do not do the services. Mechanic said to address as we go. I change the oil every 5,000 miles. Bottom line, this is a great car. Reliable, but don't let things go! Styling is truly timeless. I now have 151,000 miles and wanted to sell to buy a 2004 body style 5 series. Drove the new 5's and its NOT the same. Then I test drove the 2004 body style Mercedes E500. Still not the same. The 2001 BMW 740i is a great car. I almost sold it but after looking at it again and again, I realized I still love my car! Don't be scared of the high miles if you're looking to buy one! My useage for this car is to and from work, night on the town and road trips.

2001 BNW 740IL The Refined Rocket

by Bearhead from Wrentham, MA on Thu Nov 25 2010

I have owned various used 5 series in my life, but not until I found a 2001 740IL with only 85K miles on it did I become a believer . This sedan just oozes luxury and it is a rocket on the freeway. I love pulling up next to someone who just plunked down 80K for a new 7 series( the glorified Hyndai Genesis) and blowing that ride away. OK the cup holders are cheap plastic( when will BMW ever get that right) but in all other aspects, if you can find a vintage 2001 around, jump on it. I have put 25K on this car since October 2009 and have enjoyed every hear pulsing moment.

2001 740iL

by love the bimmer from central NC on Tue Feb 15 2011

smooth running super fast large sedan huge trunk, and backseat, no more teenagers knees in your back as you drive. plastic trim pieces annoying - i.e. cupholders, door thresholds, exterior window trims - all weak can't say enough positive about this vehicle, just love it....oh, gas bill is high since it burns premium.

I think I got lucky

by Something nice from So. Calif on Thu Jul 22 2010

The car is very nice in all respects. I picked this 2001 up with 60k miles and excellent condition. I test drove several new and used 5 series but at the end of the day I wanted more of the e38. There are a few issues with this model that you must address to ensure trouble free operation. Common parts that you will replace are bushings, hoses, radiator, ball joints and struts. These things are considered standard maintenance that will ensure long life and performance. You can improve and/or customize the e38 to suit your style as there are many aftermarket parts available. If you find a nice one you will be rewarded with an excellent driving machine. Very happy and highly recommended.

Great car

by JR from FL on Thu Dec 17 2009

A $70,000 + car when new - you can own for less than 15K - It will cost you 1500 a year to maintain which is normal for any car like this

2001 BMW 740IL

by Family Racer from San Diego, CA on Wed Oct 13 2010

You cannot beat this car for luxury and safety. When you drive your family down the road an pull up beside another new 80k model, there will be 2 differences - yours will be paid for.

740i Sport

by Canuck1973 from Topeka KS on Tue Mar 25 2014

After a 3 Series and a couple of 5 Series, I finally picked up my dream car; the 2001 BMW 740i Sport Pkg in Anthracite. I absolutely love it! The styling, the performance, the luxury, that indescribable feeling you get every time you take your place behind the wheel. Now if you're thinking of getting one of these cars, you must be patient! If you pick one up that hasn't been cared for, your dream car will quickly become a very expensive nightmare. The extra effort and (very likely) higher price you will pay up front for a properly cared for car will be well worth it in the long run. The odometer on my E38 now reads 165k, but the car looks and drives more like 65k miles. My next project will be to upgrade the Nav/Stereo system to the MK IV system from an '04-'08 BMW X5. The units are interchangeable, and the newer hardware comes with OEM Bluetooth connectivity and XM Sirius satellite radio, as well as upgrades to the navigation system itself. There are a lot of upgrades available if you want to improve or personalize a 7 series. To sum up, I love this car! And as long as you know what you're getting into when you buy it, you will love yours too.

Best car I've ever owned

by Wideguy from Washington DC on Tue Mar 20 2012

When it came time to get a new (used) car I was ready for a change. In the last 15 years I had an Acura Legend, Jaguar XJS and a Mercedes E 420. I found a BMW 740 Il in great shape and a great price, so I rolled the dice. Best decision EVER. I love my car. The 740 drives like a dream, powerful and agile. It holds the road like the a much smaller "sportier" car. With a few small exceptions it is very luxorious, and is massive on the interior (the back seat has to be seen to be believed). I have had the car for almost a year, and it hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. The only issue with the car is a few interior faults. Worst cup holders ever. Cheap plastic around the seats. That's it. That's all that's wrong with this car. If you can get one at a good price (a 2001 with 95,000 miles for $7,400) grab it. You will be VERY happy.

The car to be seen in

by Squadman from Toronto Canada on Sat Nov 26 2011

I bought my 2001 740i in 2006 with 51K miles on it and it served me very well until last week when a hit and run driver spun me into a ditch. The insurance company gave me $6,ooo for it and branded it salvage. Broke my heart. That car was so fast, so classy and oozed success that it truly helped my busines with credibility. A real loss that I hope to rectify soon with another E38.

Exciting car to drive and good looking too

by car dude from Charlotte, NC on Thu May 31 2012

I have been looking at cars for over 2 months. This includes Porsches, M Benzs, the new pretenders (Kias/Hyundais) but everytime I test drive and get back in my 740I M Series,with the factory installed Dinan system, I know I have the best deal. By the way, I looked for this car for 3 years, I found it 2 years ago, it had 38k on it, I now have 51k on it, so many, many years of pulsating driving ahead. LOVE IT! I have a Lexus LS460 for my subduded driving moments.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2001 BMW 740

They haven't quite got the hang of those newfangled "crossover" vehicles, but the Bavarians do know how to build some of the world's best luxury/sport sedans. Or at least Paul thinks so. Anita has a different take.

According to him, the 2001 BMW 740i Sport is an outstanding example of the German automaker's craft. This $68,470 sedan embodies nearly every desirable attribute the well-heeled enthusiast craves, from exceptional performance and ride comfort to state-of-the-art safety.

According to her, the big Beemer is just plain silly. Keep reading ...

He: I approach my first drive in almost every new BMW with a little nervous anticipation and high expectations. Knowing the company's heritage... Read More