Model Details

2001 BMW 740 Consumer Reviews

Average based on 22 reviews

BEST car I've owned! >100K miles still lovin it!

by from Laguna Beach, CA on January 10, 2011

I bought my 01 740i, sport pkg, m pkg, nav, steptronic, back in 2006 with 99,500 miles. I was a little worries but my mechanic told me it was a GREAT car and not to be scared of the miles. I bought it and the first thing that went out was the power steering hose. I heard it was common. Still under CPO so fixed free. Umm after that, not much happened. I did spend about $500 I think to arbitrarily replace belts, hoses, spark plugs and wires just to be safe. I would say an ounce of prevention was truly worth its weight in gold. Every now and then, a hose would need replacing, or something minor would need to be addressed. I'd say I spend about $1,000 a year max on maintenance. I do not do the services. Mechanic said to address as we go. I change the oil every 5,000 miles. Bottom line, this is a great car. Reliable, but don't let things go! Styling is truly timeless. I now have 151,000 miles and wanted to sell to buy a 2004 body style 5 series. Drove the new 5's and its NOT the same. Then I test drove the 2004 body style Mercedes E500. Still not the same. The 2001 BMW 740i is a great car. I almost sold it but after looking at it again and again, I realized I still love my car! Don't be scared of the high miles if you're looking to buy one! My useage for this car is to and from work, night on the town and road trips.

I think I got lucky

by from So. Calif on July 22, 2010

The car is very nice in all respects. I picked this 2001 up with 60k miles and excellent condition. I test drove several new and used 5 series but at the end of the day I wanted more of the e38. There are a few issues with this model that you must address to ensure trouble free operation. Common parts that you will replace are bushings, hoses, radiator, ball joints and struts. These things are considered standard maintenance that will ensure long life and performance. You can improve and/or customize the e38 to suit your style as there are many aftermarket parts available. If you find a nice one you will be rewarded with an excellent driving machine. Very happy and highly recommended.

2001 BNW 740IL The Refined Rocket

by from Wrentham, MA on November 25, 2010

I have owned various used 5 series in my life, but not until I found a 2001 740IL with only 85K miles on it did I become a believer . This sedan just oozes luxury and it is a rocket on the freeway. I love pulling up next to someone who just plunked down 80K for a new 7 series( the glorified Hyndai Genesis) and blowing that ride away. OK the cup holders are cheap plastic( when will BMW ever get that right) but in all other aspects, if you can find a vintage 2001 around, jump on it. I have put 25K on this car since October 2009 and have enjoyed every hear pulsing moment.

2001 BMW 740IL

by from San Diego, CA on October 13, 2010

You cannot beat this car for luxury and safety. When you drive your family down the road an pull up beside another new 80k model, there will be 2 differences - yours will be paid for.

Great car

by from FL on December 17, 2009

A $70,000 + car when new - you can own for less than 15K - It will cost you 1500 a year to maintain which is normal for any car like this

2001 740iL

by from central NC on February 15, 2011

smooth running super fast large sedan huge trunk, and backseat, no more teenagers knees in your back as you drive. plastic trim pieces annoying - i.e. cupholders, door thresholds, exterior window trims - all weak can't say enough positive about this vehicle, just love it....oh, gas bill is high since it burns premium.

best all around sedan

by from st paul mn on June 24, 2010

the 2001 740 sport drives like a 330. Always a blast to drive, whether around town or flat out on the freeway, it is nimble, powerful, smooth and comfortable. And it seats 4 in sport luxury!

Best Car I've Owned

by from Washington DC on January 9, 2009

I purchased this car used in 2004 and have driven it for the last 5 years. I have never enjoyed a car more. The luxury features of the 740iL are unparalleled, the large seating space in front and rear are phenomenal, and the performance is unbelievable for a car that appears to be all luxury. Only downside is the expense of maintaining a BMW (everything costs more!).

bimmer lover

by from maryland on August 28, 2009

A+ car in performance, comfort and reliablity. unparalleled, the large seating space in front and rear are phenomenal, and the performance is unbelievable for a car that appears to be all luxury.

Last e38

by from Pennsylvania on September 25, 2013

I love the lines and features of this car. it's oem technology remains relevant compared to today's cars. though it lacks bluetooth and mp3 player capability you can upgrade to these features with oem or aftermarket options. the cabin is VERY spacious and gets good mpg on the highway for a v8. If you can do most of minor to medium maintenance on this car yourself you will get a serious value.