2017 X1

2017 BMW X1

2017 BMW X1

Have you driven the 2017 BMW X1?

Nice Compact SUV

by BMWgal from Cary NC on Fri Mar 10 2017

I like the 2017 as an upgrade from the 2014, unfortunately I lease and didn't like the increase of residual value reflected in my new payment. Things I don't love: Sports mode doesn't stay activated, can't store music from CDs into vehicle (could be the package changed). Things I love: More room in back row, auto liftgate, more storage space in trunk.

Amazing car

by Leslie from Los Angeles on Fri Jun 02 2017

I love the styling, driving and price of this car. I priced other makes and models and this was far superior for the same or less money for lesser cars. The size is perfect for me and I got the tan leather interior that I wanted for the hot LA summers. I couldn't be happier! I also had excellent sales service at the BMW dealership. We ended up buying 2 cars because of it, and I got more for my car in trade than I expected. All the way around I love BMW!

Expected more

by First BMW from Ireland on Tue Apr 25 2017

I like the engine, performance, auto box, styling, sports seats, fuel economy, LED lights, I don't like road noise(even without run flats), harsh ride, rough quality of leather, having to select eco/sports mode after each start up, boot space (check golf clubs!)

Best BMW SUV

by Suleiman from Hagerstown, MD on Mon Sep 18 2017

Reasonable price for a BMW. The new design needs more than five stars. The previous model wasn't that great, especially with the exterior design. But the new BMW X1 the design of the exterior is very fabulous comparable to the BMW x6. However, the interior of this car is not that great. Absolutely when you set inside the car, you can tell this is a BMW under 50 thousand dollars. The interior could improve to a better. No matter how small the car there is small BMW like 3 serious with a such a great interior. However, the gas economy of this car is impressive. I used to drive X5 2016, and the cost of the gas is more expensive than the monthly payment. All in all, BMW X1 is the best luxury SUV for the middle class.

Practical yet fun to drive.

by Lounstx from Dallas, TX on Wed Jul 26 2017

This is the perfect car for anyone needing a little extra cargo space but also a sporty feel. The 8 speed automatic is perfectly matched to the engine and seems to multiply its power just when needed.

Olivia is my car!

by Olivia is my Car from San Francisco on Sat Jun 24 2017

Having this car for a mere 10 days, I am so pleased with my decision! The turning radius is perfect, the keyless entry handy, the extended moon roof will please my granddaughter and friends when they are in the back seat. The heated seats and steering wheel will be heaven n the winter. The backup camera is a first for me and I love it. Living in a city, the self park is fun and simple to use. I'm delighted with my decision!

BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED!!

by 123smkht from Denver, CO on Fri May 19 2017

My father has driven BMWs for the last 30 years so I've been exposed to several different models over the years. In the past 4 years, I've driven a 1997 315i, 2009 328xi, and now a 2017 X1 AWD. While I loved my manual transmission three series', I have never adored a car more than I do my X1. This thing is perfect (at least for me)! I wanted something with 4 doors, a turbo to get me around in the mountains easily, but something a bit bigger than a sedan because I wanted to be higher off the ground. If you get this car, you get the best of both worlds!! This thing is the perfect size for an SUV (really an SAV - you'll understand if you're a true BMW lover) - it's big enough for everything I need to haul but drives like a sedan!! I have always loved driving but driving has become my favorite daily activity in this car. LOVE IT and can't recommend it enough!!

If I could marry a car...

by ChesneyH from Washington, DC on Tue Jun 27 2017

I LOVE this car. I waited years for BMW to remodel the X1. The size is perfect, the interior is GLAM, the trunk space is unreal. I have 3 tennis rackets, Christmas decorations, and 2 pairs of shoes in my hidden compartment. Did I also mention my dog LOVES this car? Wouldn't change a single thing.

Joy to Drive

by AlexStylist from Pompano Beach, FL on Mon Mar 06 2017

Researched & test drove 5 cars in its class and the BMW won me over. My husband insisted on it it for the best safety ratings . A quiet, solid, sturdy joy to ride.

BMW cannot deal with technology

by Dan from San Ramon on Sun Mar 26 2017

BMW discontinued their BMW Assist technology in only several year old model of my X1. With this they disabled my hands free bluetooth and AUX music input. BMW dealerships are not prepared to deal with technology and it will cost you a lot of money to do anything with them after your warranty expires. After warranty maintenance of BMW is a disaster. It is either very expensive or you cannot find a mechanic who can understand it. BMW has a lot of advanced technology in their cars but an average U.S. mechanic will have no idea how to treat it right and dealerships abuse their almost monopoly and overcharge you by a lot.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2017 BMW X1

The verdict:

The redesigned BMW X1 is astonishingly practical, but it's less of an ultimate driving machine than the automaker's faithful may care for.

Versus the competition:

Given it's a BMW, the X1's unremarkable drivability is shocking, but it delivers in spades what many other subcompact luxury SUVs sacrifice: actual utility.

Editor's note: This review was written in February 2016 about the 2016 X1. The 2017 adds a front-wheel-drive variant with a lower starting price, but little else of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2017, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The second generation of BMW's smallest SUV drops its predecessor's performance hallmarks: near-perfect weight distribution and an available turbo six-cylinder that made the X1 more rocket ship than SUV. We drove the 2016 X1's sole variant, the xDrive28i (compare it with the 2015 X1 here).

Exterior & Styling