2004 X3

2004 BMW X3

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2004 BMW X3?

A fantastic ride even beyond 100K Miles

by LumpyJ from Denver, Colorado on Tue Nov 05 2013

I purchased my 2004 X3 3.0 two years ago with 150Kmi and aside from a couple of issues it has been an excellent car. The biggest issue I had was the expansion tank. Apparently its a common problem with all BMWs of this era. They're made from plastic and will eventually fail purging the cooling system leaving you stranded. Thankfully the tanks seem to crack around 80-90K, mine went at 160K, the trouble is there's no predictor. Aside from the expansion tank, just normal wear and tear items, gaskets, hoses, accessory belts etc... I've put about $2500 in but I found the car well below Blue Book and everything I've replaced was apart of the 100K service. Performance is top-notch, handles much like my previous 3series. My X3 came with many options and included the Sport and Cold Weather packs. The Cold weather pack is a must-have in snow country. I was a bit concerned about the Sport pack as I know the early X3s were already stiff. My doubts were put aside as the ride was not harsh and the sport seats are some of the most comfortable I've sat in -don't think I can go back. Road noise is also minimal even at interstate speeds, which was a huge selling point for me. X-Drive is outstanding in snow, the variable torque-splits really improve acceleration on slippery surfaces. I've even done a bit of off-roading in it. Although the ground clearance isn't ideal it was able to navigate a jeep trail near Breckenridge where I also got to use the Hill Descent function. Fuel economy is in the extremes, I see 30mpg cruising the highway at 65mph. Wasn't sure if it was just me but, reading about other drivers highway MPGs, I'm not alone. Sadly the city mileage is less impressive at a respectable18.5mpg. It's a lot of car for the money when compared with the Rav4, Forester, & CRV especially when you only get a 4 cylinder and BMW offers a 6 for similar mileage. Although the repair bills can sometimes be high, the service intervals are so great that it still ends up costing the same or less to own per mile driven.

Beast

by Spirited old driver from Weston, CT on Wed Jan 22 2014

I bought a 2004 x3 2.5 for my wife. The car has 120k now, I drove it from Connecticut to Delaware in the middle of a ridiculous snow storm. I've had range rovers, QX56, pathfinders, Cherokees, X5. I was amazed with the performance, I saw land cruisers, explorers, 4runners and many others in the ditch. The X3 gives a real feel of the road, sensing slip for driver correction. If you are an expert driver you will love this car, and if you are not, it will probably correct your mistakes. Thank god for technology.

Great but not for everyone

by Repeat highline vehicle owner from Louisville Kentucky on Thu Jan 28 2010

We love our 2004 BMW X3 3.0, we recommend you don't buy a 2.5 as it is underpowered so we heard. Cold weather package is wonderful with heated seats & steering wheel. Extra large sunroof is awesome until it malfunctions and the cassette has to be replaced ($3800)repair for parts/labor-good thing ours was certified with a warranty. X-drive (AWD with a brain) is excellent in all weather conditions, seats are reasonably comfortable but ride is harsh & bumpy at times when you want comfort/luxury but great when you want a sporty drive. All in all a good value but if i had it to do over again I'd probably break the extra bread to obtain the X5 just to have a more luxurious AWD ride.

Best car I've ever owned

by TChapman from Middletown, DE on Thu Jul 20 2017

This car was just the right size, plenty of room for five people to ride comfortably. I bought it used with 126k miles on it and I didn't even get to own it for six months. at the end of which it had 139k miles and was caught in a flood and sadly, totaled. very sporty with the 6-speed gear box plenty of pep and a real joy to drive to and from work or just on a nice sunny day. the giant sun roof was probably my (and many of its passengers) favorite part of this car. it really opened the car up but wasn't as loud as a convertible. The x3 was no stranger to getting a little dirty either, anytime we had to get off and do some light-off-roading she handled it. would buy this car again in a heartbeat.

I'm going to miss it.

by BrooklynBMW from NY NY on Sun Oct 22 2006

I've just returned this vehicle after a two year lease and I will certainly miss it. In the final weeks we took it on a 1,200 round trip NY to Tampa and although it must be the most boring drive in the country, the vehicle's performance was exemplary. It smoothly performed at whatever speed was necessary at the time (65-85mph) and we got 400 miles from a full tank. This was a 2.5 engine which I was warned about not having enough punch but it was perfectly adequate and I don't think it's necessary to spend the extra for 3l plus to sit in NY's traffic anyway. It navigates NY's third world standard of road conditions admirably and is skinny enough to nip through gaps other SUV's just sit and gawp at. The interior is excellent in fit quality and comfort. My only niggles are that the diagnostic coughed at around 3,000 miles which led to a dud engine and a visit to the dealers. The audio system is anaemic with not enough bass, and the a/c could be cooler at it's coolest level, but Austrians/Germans don't really "get" how brutal our summers are. The trunk space is limited - you can't fit a full set of golf clubs lengthways which is pitiful for an SUV. However, it's an ugly duckling of a vehicle. It's pretty ugly to look at but is beautiful to drive.

A good buy

by Jrgull13 from West Des Moines, IA on Tue Apr 11 2017

I am impressed with my x3. This is my first BMW bit I got a really solid deal on it. Wish it came with bluetooth, but I understand this was before auxiliary hookups and Bluetooth were factory on cars. Looking to change that with a GPS kit later on.

Reliable, durable, comfortable and fun to drive

by jjinaz from Tucson, az on Tue Jul 04 2017

I have owned the car for 10 years. It has done everything we asked of it. It has got us through winter storms where you couldn't even see the road, and the Arizona deserts in the heat of summer. It's combination of fuel economy, comfort, safety and reliability is hard to beat.

Good driving esp. on rains, hugs the road

by garagegrl from Honolulu on Sat May 15 2010

We love our X3 2.5i, contrary to other owners, this car has power. Can race with other big SUVs. Hugs the road even on bad weather condition like rainy days. The pull is superb. The moonroof never had a problem even the CD player never broke down even once. Excellent during summer driving, wide moonroof, sunroof--longer than vans. Can't ask for more. I don't know about others, but my X3 has had good performance. Excellent handling too!

my first BMW

by bobby in op from OP, KS on Sat Jun 23 2007

This is my first BMW but definately wont be the last. I fell in love while shopping for a Lexus rx330. The X3 offered sexy styling and lots of punch. I test drove the X5 but didnt like how it handled. The X3 hugs curves without feeling as if it might tip at any second. It excellerates nicely. Before I know it I am at 60mph and beyond! The only flaw that I have found is with the engine noise at high rpm. However, its nice to know that your little kitten has plenty of tiger like prowess. The sunroof, sexy, the interior, sexy, the exterior, sexy. How does it feel to drive, SEXY!

A very fast and smooth medium size SAV/SUV!

by A big BMW fan from Kingston, PA on Fri Nov 02 2007

After owninig a 325Xi, two 330Xi's and driving 04' X5 for two days, I am very impress with the 04' X3 2.5i! It's not as quick as the 3.0i X3, it certainly has efficient amount of power for the weight of the vehicle. The X3 has a confortable ride and surprisingly very smooth for a SUV. I enjoy my X3 more each day I drive it and I would recommend it to anyone!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2004 BMW X3

Excellence continued

The BMW X3 is slightly smaller than the popular X5.

When BMW announced plans to build a sport utility vehicle, it was assailed by critics who feared that the German builder of highly regarded sport sedans was caving to market forces and diluting the brand.

But the X5 lived up to BMW's reputation for performance and prestige, and has been highly successful. That was four years ago, and BMW now has a new SUV, the compact X3, that is slightly smaller, more carlike and less expensive than X5.

As the X5 is a sibling of BMW's 5-series sedans, X3 is akin to the smaller 3 series, BMW's most popular line. X3 is certainly not a mini doppelganger of X5 but a vehicle with an entirely separate... Read More