2006 X3

4.4

Have You Driven the 2006 BMW X3?

The Ultimate Driving Machine

by Wolfie from Wisconsin on Sat Oct 27 2007

"10" "10" "10" I rate this car a solid "10" This is the best vehicle that I have ever owned,I don't know why I haven't owned one sooner. Quality through out the interior and exterior. All controls are in reach and easy to use. Adaptive headlights should be standard on all vehicles as well as the Sensor wipers. The engine is so smooth during all phases of driving. Be careful on the HWY as you take your eyes off the speedo your doing 80-85 easily. I would highly recomend this BMW to anyone.

Wasn't sure - won me over

by Dieffenbach from Fairfield, CT on Tue Jun 09 2009

My wife and I ordered our 2006 Blue Water metallic X3 in late fall 2005. We chose the Cold Weather package, premium sound system and leather seats as options. I have always been a BMW / Audi fan, but was only lukewarm when my wife chose the X3 to replace an aging Toyota that she had driven since her college days. With that as context, I now can say that at the end of our 3 year lease I was extremely happy to be able to negotiate a fair price with BMW to purchase the SAV. We have driven it all over the country and have enjoyed its panoramic moonroof, beautiful and supportive seats and downright dependable every day ride. In the 72,000 miles that we have put on the X3, the only repair that we have had to make is to fix a small leak in the window washer fluid reservoir.

The Ultimate Driving SAV!

by Beemer Believer! from Northern, VA on Sun Apr 28 2013

I wanted to get a SUV but didnt want some hum drum, no handling SUV that was no fun to drive. I started researching and found the BMW X3. I know BMWs are awesome driving cars but when I got behind the wheel of this SAV everything changed for me. The X3 has gobs of smooth power, handles like a dream, and looks awesome doing it. The one thing I am having a problem with is that if you leave the doors open, the battery dies very quickly and you need to get a boost. Maybe this is just my particular vehicle and I am taking it to the dealer to have it checked out. Other than that, this SAV rocks and I love the fact that when people ask me now what I drive, I love saying that I drive a BMW!

A Little SUV That Can

by Rallyrider from Virginia on Wed Oct 10 2012

For drivers who want a fun, powerful, manageable ride, economy in fuel and maintenance, and the style of a European manufacturing leader, the BMW X3 is a fit. I love my X3. I load my kayak on my racks, put the Irish Setter in the rear cargo area... throw a saddle or 50 lb bag of grain the back for my horses, connect my grand-babies' car seats in my child safety seat ready back seat... I just love this car. Have had minimal maintenance needs. Just bbeen a great SUV to own.

2nd BMW I've owned

by Ralph from Alletown, PA on Mon Oct 09 2006

Traded in my big Acura MDX for this 2006 BMW excutive car. I consider the $35,000 certified used car price with only 12,000 on it a good deal. If you don't look at the odometer you would never know it was used. This SAV is smaller and much better handling than the MDX, although mileage is only slightly better. Does everything you would expect from a BMW and carry your stuff too! I read the reviews and heard all the complaints about the still ride. Americans must really be getting soft because the ride is softer than most SUVs and the handling is much better. It could use a little more color in the interior (the 2007 has more wood trim) and the cup holders are way behind the times. Otherwise, buy one and have fun!

Nice AWD

by mae3 from chicago on Mon Jan 04 2010

We just purchased this vehicle with 24,000 miles on it. We are very happy with the quality and handling. Not sure why people are complaining about the transmission. I think it changes gears very smoothly. We own a 328 BMW and a c240 Mercedes, and this by far is the most fun to drive! However, the gas mileage is not great...

Great Value for the money

by Great Used upscale suv from Grand Rapids MI on Fri Apr 03 2015

I purchased this suv pre-owned from a dealer and could not be happier. All the maintenance, repairs and fluid checks were completed and the vehicle came with a 90 day warranty. The SUV has the retro style dashboard which is nice as it does not look like every other BMW. It handles beautifully in all weather. I drove it cross country and went through snow, rain, fog, ice and wind and I got 23 miles to the gallon and it drove like a champ. I am a huge BMW fan and own four. This suv was a great addition.

by Michelle from Chicago on Mon Sep 16 2013

Love this car. Only had it a month. It rides well, nice acceleration, great handling, comfortable. The seats are stiff, but it match well with the styling and drive of the vehicle. The console is easy to use, easy to reach, love the bluetooth feature. Autostick is a nice option, gives more drive type options. Sporty little SUV, I do recommend this car to those in the market for a small sized SUV.

Most reliable model and year for the BMW X3

by Q-man from Bloomington, MN on Thu Jun 22 2017

Very fun to drive. Very reliable. With regular maintenance, you can drive this X3 for easily 10+ years or over 200K miles easily. Very stylish and handled the winter weather with ease. I also put snow tires on my X3 even though it's an AWD, but with the snow tires, it's much more fun in the snow and I often make my own tracks when you can't see the white lines between lanes when covered deep in snow. The only downfall of this X3 is, you'll not going to get the MPG like Honda CRV or the Rav4, but styles and the excitement whenever you're behind the wheel, you'll thank yourself for not being predictable.

Bought used and in need of constant repair

by bcls from on Thu Jun 08 2017

I like the style of the vehicle but it is not reliable. Bought with 118k miles and have had $1000 in various repairs the first year and now have 128k. Of the 3 cars I have over 110k miles this is the most expensive to maintain.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2006 BMW X3

You see them every day: SUVs operated by people who think sitting high behind the wheel of a large vehicle makes them nearly invulnerable, or believe a powerful engine and leather bucket seats mean they are driving a sports car.

The BMW X3 may suit both kinds of drivers.

It is not big (seating four adults comfortably, five in a pinch). It will tow a small boat or a utility trailer -- not a cabin cruiser or big horse trailer. And it is not an off-road monster.

But those are not necessarily negatives. Far too many SUV owners buy vehicles with more capabilities -- and expensive ones -- than they will ever use.

The X3 sits low, so it has stability in corners -- even in hard, sporty corners or fast lane-changes when... Read More