Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 X5

2008 BMW X5

2008 BMW X5

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2008 BMW X5?

08 X5 4.8

by BMW Fan from Denver, CO on Mon May 23 2016

Great deals can be had on these if you want a safe and sporty SUV that is fun to drive, well made, and looks better than just about any SUV on the market new or old. We have 5 BMW's in our family and each one is like a kid to us with its own personality. This one has fit in nice and is our go to ride when we have chores to run or want something comfortable that multiple people can easily get into and out of. The 4.8L engine has more than enough power for everyday use and we average about 18MPG with mixed highway and city driving which is not too bad considering its weight, size, and power (we drove a couple with the 3.0 and decided on the 4.8 as the smaller engine did not feel at home in the larger SUV). We did have to replace the throttle body on it at 78K miles as we would get various engine and AWD errors on the idrive. The part was less than $300 and it took about 20 minutes to install so all in all not too bad. Ours has the 20 inch wheels and sport package which makes this SUV (SAV I guess) look better than just about any mid size SAV in its class (new or old IMHO).

Best power PUNCH

by arodjr from Eagle ID / Monterey CA on Fri Dec 26 2014

This is our 2nd X5 wife loves this suv & the Beefiness 4.8. its has plenty of room for our 3 children. the third row seat kids love when needed extra seating. We are a BMW family for the last 12yrs.Wife had a Range Rover Great Suv smooth and clean but the X5 BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine!!!

X5 4.8 Review

by X5 4.8 Driver from Tampa, Florida on Sat Jan 16 2010

First, you have to buy this car in a 4.8 if you like to drive. The 3.0 is just not a good engine matchup. Second, don't buy a BMW if you like Lexus reliability, it just is not there. Third, if you enjoy driving, buy a BMW and sell your Lexus to a friend.... My wife and I purchased 4 BMW's in the last 16 months. The X5 4.8 is one of the fastest, best accelerating SUV's out there. But at the same time, even with the Sport Package and the 20' rims, you can drive the X5 on a 2000 mile trip (which we just got back from and loved it every second were we in it). However BMW's are fickle sometimes, which means, you will be taking it is now and again for little issues. It is not a fill up an drive SUV and do so for 100k miles with no problems. Again, the issues are small, but you will spend some time in your dealership.

2008 X-5

by JB IN ATLANTA from Atlanta on Thu Oct 25 2012

I have owned this 2008 X-5 since it had approximately 18,000 miles on it and I use it as a daily driver to make deliveries and sales calls for my business. I now have 186,600 miles on it and it still looks and drives just like a new vehicle. I have had my share of issues and the repairs can be expensive but overall I have been extremely satisfied with the fit and finish of the vehicle especially with so many miles on it. I buy most of my parts online and just have a local repair shop perform the maintenance

SUV That Handles Like A Sports Sedan

by Mike from Redwood City, CA on Tue Mar 31 2009

We opted for the 3.0 I-6 instead of the 4.8 V8 mainly because of... 1.) Reliability history of BMWs I-6 engines. These are among the best engines in the world. 2.) Price - With the number of options available, the price was sky-rocketing. We wanted to somewhat stay within our budget. 3.) My wife has a lead foot as demonstrated in our other bimmer. Traffic tickets are a hassle. I gave it a 4 star on overall and performance rating because the car does feel like it was designed to have the V8 engine. Don't get me wrong here, the I-6 has plenty of pep and can get you moving quite quick (8sec 0-60 I believe) but you will have to rev it past 3K RPM (7K redline) to really get it going. I gave it a 4 star on comfort as the car was designed in true BMW form: performance first. The ride can be bumpy here and there even with the Adaptive Drive (Sport Pkg) option but overall very comfortable. You can't expect a car to handle this well and not be a little bumpy. Hence my 5 star handling rating. We took this on a road trip to Yosemite and wow this really handles on the twisties. This is where you really appreciate the X5. This car looks good inside and out. The Sport Package really adds to the looks as well. I think BMW styling is very wheel size dependant. We ordered the Saddle Brown seats and the contrast against the black carpeting, dash, and headliner really makes it pop. There are so many great features in the car. Almost everything is controlled by the iDrive and is integrated so no feature feels like an after-thought. I gave it a 4 star because of a few small things mainly pertaining to navigation functionality, mainly that it does not say street names when it gives directions and that it is sometimes a challenge to find POIs. I probably should have opted for the head up display to replace the need for the audible navigation directions. I gave it a 4 star on value because you can definitely get more features for the same money but I do carry emotional bonds with my cars and many of the competitors just couldn't offer that to me.

BMW X5 2008

by DB from Syracuse NY on Wed Jul 25 2012

Bought my 08 from a Acura dealer. Car had been well maintained with 65k miles. Drive home was about 2.5 hrs and it was a great ride. Love the seats, moonroof and handling. Very spacious interior w/ all buttons in the right place. Really like the I drive system. Did not come w/ nav system, wish it did. Gas mileage on highway avg 26-27mpg. Put 2k miles so far and no problems.

NEVER AGAIN.....

by Loyal BMW consumer no more.... from Chicago, IL on Tue Nov 22 2011

Will I purchase a BMW X5. I have owned a 2002 BMW X5 and a 2008 BMW X5. I loved my 2002 X5. It was the best car ever. Never broke down, looked awesome and was just a pure joy to drive. Thinking that BMW could only improve this amazing vehicle, I purchased a 2008 X5 and I really wish I never had. The comfort and exterior styling of the 2008 X5 definitly catches ones eye. However that where the good ends and the reliability nightmare of this vehicle begins. This vehicle is a service repair nightmare. BMW technicians and even a BMW engineer cannot figure out what is wrong with the electrical system in this vehicle. The RPM's "choke up" and it seems like the car is going to die out before you even put it in gear. So far it's been in service 4 times for the same issue and still no solution. This is probably the last BMW that I will own and will be trading this vehicle in as soon as it's out of service. BMW you have lost a loyal costumer.

Does not recommend this car!!

Most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

by Former BMW enthusiast from Tiffin, Ohio on Tue Feb 22 2011

I have owned BMW's since 1986. They have performed well and driven with that ultimate driving machine feel. I purchased a beautiful looking 2008 X5 with a clean Carfax. The vehicle has developed problems with the all wheel drive and dynamic stability control. BMW does not have a solution for these problems. When these systems fail, the vehicle drops into "safe mode" which is extremely unsafe. Everytime it dropped into safe mode, traffic was travelling at 65mph or faster and the vehicle dropped to 25 mph. I have absolutely no confidence in this vehicle I purchased in late November 2010. I will have to trade it in, take a big financial loss, and find another brand.

Does not recommend this car!!

The most Gorgeous car that exists

by Waqlia from Cincinnati, OH on Tue Feb 05 2013

X5 has ever thing that I've ever wanted and even more!!! Driving in a deep snow I felt most secure. Really good fuel efficiency combined with elegancy. Light leather interior will not get that hot in summer time. It has advanced lightson the outside and many on the inside. I would not recommend it to my friend only because I would like to be the only one to have it :-).

My 2nd X5; but also my last X5

by Former X5(3.0) Fan from Los Angeles, CA on Sat May 03 2008

I had a 2004 X5 (3.0) on a 4-year lease ended April 2008. In April 2008, I leased a brand new 2008 X5 (3.0) for 3 years. I loved my 2004 X5 so much that I leased a 2008 X5 (3.0) without even considering any other vehicles. With my experience driving the 2004 X5 (3.0), I thought I was going to drive X5's for the rest of my life. I've driven the 2008 X5 (3.0) for exactly a month by today. I'm so disappointed with this 2008 X5(3.0) that I couldn't stop thinking about 2 things: 1) I should have just bought the 2004 X5(3.0) that I had. 2) I can't wait for the three years to be over so I can get a different SUV. I will compare certain road-performance of this brand new 2008 X5(3.0) to my former 2004 X5(3.0): 1. Gas pedal and speed acceleration: My 2004 X5 had very sensitive and accurate speed acceleration in response to how hard I pressed the gas pedal. The 2004 X5(3.0) is simply powerful. Whether I was driving up hill, or accelerating after stopping at a stop sign, to accelerating right after I slowed the vehicle down to make a left/right turn on local streets; the 2004 X5(3.0) engine picks up speed/acceleration right away without any lag when I stepped on the gas pedal just a little deeper. For this 2008 X5(3.0), it's just not as powerful as the 2004 X5(3.0). When I'm driving this 2008 X5 and I needed to pick up the speed/acceleration in the following conditions, the 2008 X5(3.0) engine feels like it does not have the power to accelerate right away: - going up hill (freeway or local); - accelerating after stopping at stop signs; - accelerating right after I slowed the vehicle down to make a left/right turn on local streets. In the above conditions, I would step on the gas pedal deeper, but the acceleration/speed for this 2008 X5(3.0) reacts really slowly (is this called ?lagging?). The acceleration reacts about 3-4 seconds after I step on the gas pedal to speed up; and often time, the acceleration kicks in when I was getting ready to slow down due to traffic and other driving conditions. 2. Gasoline: With the 2004 X5(3.0), I could get about 15-18 miles per gallon during the 4 years I had it. With the 2008 X5(3.0), it?s about 10-12 miles per gallon so far. My friends suggested that I take the 2008 X5(3.0) to a BMW service to have them re-set the computer in the SUV so to correct the complaints I have. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2008 BMW X5

Editor's note: This review was written in February 2007 about the 4.8i version of the 2007 BMW X5. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what details are different this year, check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The BMW X5 was one of the pioneers in the performance SUV segment when it was launched in the 2000 model year. Its focus on onroad excellence, as opposed to offroad capability, was a sensible move, considering BMW's brand heritage and how seldom most consumers venture off-road in their SUVs. The second-generation, 2007 X5 continues in this vein but now comes with more power and can seat up to seven.

Our test X5 had the optional 4.8-liter V-8... Read More