2003 Bmw Z 4

Fast, Awesome Styling, and Excellent mileage

by from Baltimore, MD on January 30, 2009

I don't know how BMW does it, but they are masters at extracting the maximum performance from little motors. I wasn't expecting much from a 2.5 liter engine when I first test drove mine, but all I could say was WOW! It feels like a much larger engine with it's flat torque curve,very reminiscent of an old 5.0 Mustang GT I use to have.Matter of fact the strait line performance is very close. The best is first gear. Edmund's reports 0-30mph of the 5 speed manual 2.5i at 2.1 seconds.For comparison, that's faster than a 2005 C6 Vette LS2 by .1 seconds.However the Vette will pull you after that(but who cares?)If you make a habit of ringing out second gear around town, you'll probably lose your license before long anyway. Change out the poor handling and heavy run flat tires for a good performance tire and it will increase your performance further by reducing the rotating mass. The Z4 2.5i gets about 35 mpg on the Hwy with a light foot and about 23 in town according to the on-board computer.That is of course with the addition of a K&N panel filter and no "run flats". Where the Z4 really shines is in the styling and handling dept.With the "Sport Package" option and it's beefier suspension it corners like it's on rails.The sport button decreases power steering assist for more road feel and increases throttle tip in for more spirited driving. It looks like it should be in a James Bond movie('nuff said). Couple of tips if you are in the market for a Z4: 1)Get the Sports and Premium packages to get all the bells and whistles like power top, leather, heated seats, hifi stereo( you'll appreciate the extra watts with the top down). 2) Get a manual trans. The automatics aren't any fun and problematic from what I hear. 3) The difference in performance is marginal at best between the 2.5i and 3.0i mainly due to the 2.5i's shorter piston stroke and steeper final drive ratio. Test drive them and see for yourself. The insurance for a 2.5i is way cheaper that the 3.0i too. 4) If you are taller than 6'4", you might want to look for a bigger sports car.

Best roadster value for the money

by from Portland, OR on December 16, 2012

For a modest investment ($16-20k) a used Z4 is a bargain at about half the price new. The engines are bulletproof in terms of reliability. When buying I made sure to get both the sport and premium packages, you should too. They give you all the enjoyment a Z4 can deliver for not a lot of extra money and they'll help you when resale time comes around. Here's another tip: A Z4 is a huge step up from ANY Z3, there's just no comparison in terms of features, comfort, handling, etc., etc... Trust me, I owned a Z3 for several years and am very familiar with that model. The car had some major redesign features in 2006 so that's a good year to shoot for in terms of price/value. I would look for a clean low mile 3.0 model, but honestly, if you find a really good 2.5 car with sport and premium packages, they're a good buy. The 2.5 does 0-60 in 7 seconds and tops out at 146 mph, not bad for most driving! These cars are just tons of wind in your hair fun at a modest expense. You will LOVE your Z4!

Get ready to be the "Talk of the Town"!

by from Michigan on March 5, 2012

I have owned my 3.0i Z4 for almost two years now, it's simply fantastic. With its bold, exciting exterior design, you will be grabbin' attention everywhere you go with it. To this day, I still receive compliments from total strangers about it. My Z4 is an '03, and people think it's a brand new car! Not to mention, the resale value and depreciation rate for these vehicles are amazing. Overall, It's a win-win situation, high-end performance, good gas mileage, and a total "head-turner."

BMW stands the test of time

by from Des Moines, IA on February 23, 2010

The vehicle I found on cars.com is a 2003. It still handles great and performs outstanding on the road. Its beauty never fades.

Z 4444444

by from chicago on August 10, 2009

Nothing else like it turns heads from every age group. The car out performs any other convertible in its class and for the money it un matched. The best part its a BMW loaded with performance and features most cars dont have or only found in cars that cost way more

SAD DUDE

by from JONESBORO , GA on December 2, 2010

THIS CAR WAS SO CUTE I DIDNT EVEN WANT TO SELL IT. IT WAS GOOD AT EVERY THING. WHEN I DROVE IT, IT WAS SO COMFORTABLE.

drove car for 50k over 5 years

by from new york, ny on July 10, 2011

bought it CPO with 6k and 3 yrs of age. car had manual transmission. I liked the transmission alot. good punch from the 3.0 liter engine. very nimble. seats were okay but long road trips were tough. even after many years, people still found the car exterior attractive. reliability was good. cpo warranty covered convertible top issues. Repairs done on the car over the couple of years were a defective sensor in the trunk about the top and some motor replacement in the top. would likely have been costly but CPO covered it. stereo was pretty good, and better with aux in i installed. was overall happy with my purchase. with winters in new york, putting on smaller rims/snow tires made this driveable in good amount of snow albeit clearance was the most significant issue. summer tires/premium rims made this undriveable in snow.

Z4ever in my life

by from new england on March 21, 2010

Great car, great handling, enjoy it very much, it is a car that gets noticed. I like the original year of the car.

LOVE it!

by from florida on September 20, 2013

I bought my 2003 Z4 about 6 month ago, i wasn't sure about buying an older car, but it looks so flashy, i couldn't resist. People assume i spent a ton of money to buy it, when actually it was under 14 grand.. I love it, First of all it looks brand new. Everywhere i go (literally everywhere) i get comments from people saying how nice it is, i actually caught a couple people taking pics by it as i was leaving a store. The new 2013 model isnt that different than the 2003 from the outside, it really looks quite new. the body out the car is an eye catcher, very luxurious looking. It drives well and is pretty good on gas. The 2 seats are comfy and there is a decent size trunk. 2 seaters are not for everybody but one seat for me and one for my bag is all i need. luckily for me the previous owner had awesome chrome custom rims put on and kept the car in perfect cond...Eventually i will have to get a bigger car, but for now i love it, and i would highly reccommend it..

A work of art that moves

by from Boca Raton, FL on December 13, 2013

I needed a reliable daily driver while my 500hp Celica project is being built, and I was lucky enough to come across a 2003 3.0i, fully loaded with the 6 speed stick, with under 32k miles. It instantly caught my eye, and I bought it right away. I am a 6'3 20 year old, and I fit comfortably in the car, aside from my big feet bumping into and catching onto the piece above the pedals (common problem for me in most cars). Only real negatives are that I am getting only ~18mpg, but it is city driving and I have a heavy foot. The electric top doesn't work, a common problem for the car, but it takes 5 seconds to lower it manually, just be careful. Also, I wish it felt faster. This car makes you want to drive FAST, but even though 0-60 for mine is 5.8s, it feels slower..... Very weird. All in all, this is a beautiful car that is to be respected. Not too fast, but very quick, and something that you cannot park and walk away from without looking back and smiling.

Our Expert Review: 2003 Bmw Z 4