2005 Z4

4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

A Dream's Dream

by NateJG from Michigan on July 18, 2009

After two brushes with death on a motorcycle, we decided to add air bags - and found this 4-year-old beauty with a mere 16,400 of never-been-snowed-on Michigan miles. Having always wanted a convertible and having admired the engineering and performance of BMW from afar for years, this was a dream come true. While not a dragstrip rocket, the 225 HP is rewarding; and the transmission is unbelievably smooth and predictable. The top goes up/down extremely fast. The sound system is unbelievable! Just how they cram in 10 speakers for a two-seater is awsome! The thing is a work of art. I've put 3,000 miles on it in 2 months; and plan on taking it with us to FL this winter. We get 26 MPG on cruises and about town; and managed 30.1 on the last day trip (no AC; top down going; top up returning; 300+ miles). My goal is to have a Historic Plate on her - which will make the driver 81. I cut my teeth in Chevys on Telegraph in the 60's; two of our other 3 vehices are German-engineered; and this is the closest thing to nirvana for me. 'Love it!

My re-incarnated "73 TR6

by Valveguy from Chicago Suburbs on June 4, 2012

All the issues with my 1st car---in 1975!! have been addressed 35+ years later!! This car is awesome. I did alot of research not only which sports car to buy, but then, which BMW Z4 to buy. It has the 3.0 liter engine, the premium package, Sport package, leather and the Xenon headlights. Al the websites say this is a "rock solid", no mechanical, issues car. Almost bought a Porsche Boxster, but the an engine bearing issue reported by many scared me away. The Z4 is not a high horspower, throw you back in your seat car---but it is no slouch either. Handling is great, styling is awesome---mine is Maldives Blue with beige interior, which I recommend over black especially on hot days. Plenty of trunk space for a set of golf clubs--and supposedly it can hold two sets---but I haven't proved that yet. Do your homework, and pick a good used Z4, and you'll be glad you did--I am!

WHAT A BEAUTY TO LOOK AT AND TO DRIVE

by Z MAN from San Francisco, CA on January 21, 2010

What a car!! The exterior design and the interior blend aesthetics with basic functionality quite well, making it a awesome looking vehicle from any angle. Handling is the best feature, take a curvy road, press the Sport button and let it do its business. It will reward you with a sporty and pleasant ride, making you look like a better driver in the process. If it only had some space for my Blackberry other than my lap :(

Fun in the Sun - BMW Z4

by Roadster from North Carolina on September 15, 2011

Ahhhhhh, nothing like a spirited drive through the country in a nimble high powered sports car. The BMW Z4 is superb feat of German engineering. One twist of the throttle and the car responds. Take into a tight turn and it will deliver. Rejoice in the fact that it gets 35 mpg on the hwy. This car outperforms my Mustang GT hands down and gets apprerciably noticed wherever it is driven. It was a tossup between a Boxster and a Z4. The Z4 was much smoother shifting and had a nice firm ride without the jarring movements of the Porsche. The road noise is very quiet with the convertible top up and 16 speaker system is indescribable. Go test drive one today - you will be convinced. This car is a lot of fun to drive. and th women absolutely adore it.

05 BMW Z4

by karensz4 from Harrisburg, Pa on October 13, 2010

Found the car on cars.com and flew to Florida from Pa. The dealer had everything ready at arrival so the wife and I took a mini vacation from Florida to Pa. It was a true joy. The BMW was more than I had hoped for. I-95 and various roundabouts for food and fuel got us home after 26 hours of driving, comfortable driving. The 3.0 liter engine with the 18 inch wheels averaged 35 mpg for the trip. After 7,000 miles from pickup I am averaging 27.3 with in town and highway. The BMW manual does state that you should take it to the dealer for oil changes, tire rotation and basic maintenance. It is now out of the intial warranty and I have found it is the usual BMW engineering quality making basic maintenance a dream. i.e. Our first oil change was great:) The manual said take it to the dealer, but after finding the access plate in the center of the skid pads and the oil plug right there, the oil was changed. Tire rotation was another dealer item in the owners manual. I do reccommend using a torque wrench when retorqing the lug nuts but quick and easy access to mechanicals seems to be BMW's game. For performance the rating I found was 0-60 in 6.4 secs. I am assuming that's pulling a boat up a hill. It's a quick little roadster with 225 hp and 3750 lbs. The only truly dismaying thing I found was no spare tire.

Happy now, was skeptical!

by ZGirl from Southfield,MI on January 23, 2013

Purchased the 200, Z4 2.5 after retiring and wanting a nice convertible, of European design and affordable! I found it all in " Merlot /tan combo BMW Z4". However, being a Michigander with long cold winters," I was a little skeptical about the used market & dependability. But, after doing my research...boy am I happy! The only complaints (1) replaced the radiator expansion tank (2) Replaced the driver window switch.(3) Flimsy cup holders. Hopefully, other than oil changes/regular maintenance..."I made a great choice" what a great riding vehicle and very fun to drive....Can't wait for spring to drop my top!!!

New to BMW

by Babyjoe from Bowie, MD on December 13, 2008

Love the design. Like no other. Used is the best way to go with low mileage. Otherwise too expensive for most. Haven't put that many miles on it but those that I have have been most enjoyable. Great performance and handling. Not easy to get in to/out of unless the top is down. Much easier then. Run flat tires tend to want to follow rut in the road. Will be changing them out when they reach their life expectancy. But overall, I would recommend this vehicle. Had a Harley but wanted something more comfortable and really meant for two. This one does it all.

Feels like a Happy Car :)

by Dances with Snowplows from Upstate NY on February 1, 2012

After purchase I replaced brakes and brake fluid and replaced the run-flat tires with non-run-flat ultra high performance all season tires. The ride was markedly better and much quieter. The handling remains superb and since I'm not going to autocross or race the car, I'm very satisfied with the handling. Another benefit is less wandering due to the slight toe out alignment setting and less"tire nibble" on rutted roads. I was also amazed at all the features the car came with, such as power everything, cruise, bluetooth, auto climate control, and heated seats. The interior is very subdued and businesslike. No panel full of gaudy knobs and trinkets bragging about every feature available. Although it looks a bit small, the interior is very roomy and comfortable when you settle into the car. My wife loves it. On the 5 hour drive home after buying it, she fell asleep nearly the whole way, a sure sign she was comfortable. We were also amazed at how much stuff the trunk will hold. It's deceptively spacious. The exterior draws looks and positive comments everywhere I go. As a mechanical engineer I really appreciate the 3.0i line 6 engine. It is naturally harmonically balanced and smooth as glass. My zero to 60 time will not be as fast as my neighbor's ZO6 corvette but the acceleration is crisp and the engine throttle response immediate, with a very good sounding exhaust note that you only hear when opening her up. My son took it for a spin after I got the new tires. He said that the car seems as if it's happiest when being driven, a "happy car". One fly in the ointment, I had to replace the bi-Xenon headlamp assembly due to moisture inside the headlamp damaging the electronic components, a very expensive repair.

Perfect vehicle for my wife

by Ricosratos from Dallas, TX on September 17, 2014

My wife wanted a scooter to drive to and from work just a few miles away, reasoning that our Lexus was too big and used to much fuel to drive just a couple of miles a day. Went to Cars.com and found a 2005 BMW with 89K miles, one owner and in great conditions in an out. Heated seats, automatic and a rag top that does not require use of hands to latch. My wife loves it, at 5'2" it is a perfect fit. Wish it had more interior storage space. Glove box is only for gloves. Cup holders are flimsy pop outs and there is no real space between the seats where to lay a cell phone or shades. It does not have a spare, but it does not matter as my wife will never change a tire in any vehicle(will get Road Assistant). The engine service light came on as expected when it reached 90K, will take to BMW for service. Vehicle is fun to drive, appears safe with side airbags and a lot safer than a scooter. Got it below suggested price and very happy with the purchase. Owners reviews had a lot to do with my decision to select this used vehicle from many small convertibles below 10K.

first roadster and last

by L T from augusta,maime on December 6, 2011

last because i will keep it!third auto so not piling on milage,dont get to use cause wife leaves 1st

1 2 3 4