2009 Z4

2009 BMW Z4

2009 BMW Z4

5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2009 BMW Z4?

Fun in the sun

by Boy's Toy from Green Valley, Az on Thu Jan 20 2011

The Z4 with retractable hardtop is a great car for a man retiring after a life of hard work but that still has a desire for thrill and adventure in his new life. It has power when desired but is not a monster that threatens. It doesn't handle as smoothly as the much lighter Audi TT but it is definitely a German machine of quality and precision. The 255 bhp delivers plenty of brawn but is easy on gas and cruises smoothly and quietly at speed. The exterior design and flowing lines invariably attract attention and draw favorable comment whenever you stop.

BMW Lives up to it's Rep

by Dep H from Colorado Springs, Colorado on Sun Feb 06 2011

Wonderful Sports Coupe. I've own several convertavles and BMW's. This one is far the best. The Z4 far exceeds my previous Z3 and MB 32AMG. The car is fully loaded and worth every penny.

Most fun car I've owned

by LYL from Plymouth, MI on Tue Oct 20 2009

I spent over a year researching roadsters and at the last minute discovered the Z4/ 3.5. Fell in love with the hardtop convertible, sexy lines when top is up or down, interior comfort and quickness. I've taken it on several long trips with a nine hour drive as the longest. I was pleasently surprised not to feel worn or fatiqued. The car rides extremely smooth and quiet with the top raised.

Topless or not, its a looker!

by Little Red Convertible Driver from Bradenton, FL on Sat Feb 09 2013

My wife at 5'6" finally committed to the purchase of a used Z4. After a great deal of research and many test drives of various configurations and model years we decided on a low mileage 2009 hard top convertible. We chose the 255hp version as it more than adequate for normal driving and zips along just fine. If you plan on driving like an adult with a little bit of a heavy foot this model will suit your needs while saving fuel and maintenance costs. I really like the twin-turbo 330hp, but the potential mechanical issue are little scary. The performance selector is a nice feature as you might not always want to have the stiffest ride or need the higher rpm prior to shifting. The auto stick with paddle shift option is fun but rarely used in normal driving. Make sure the trunk is clear prior to putting the top down or you will be sorry. We use a Mercedes and BMW master mechanic for all of our vehicles' maintenance and repairs. Upon inspection of our latest purchase he advised, although the car we selected was in mint condition, we should still obtain an extended warranty. He then pointed us to the web to search for a good one. Fortunately, it appears we did not select a car that was abused by a previous owner. If you are buying used, take it to a mechanic you trust first! We turned down a great many cars that were newer with just a couple of thousand miles because they had been driven so hard. We found clean carfax after clean carfax, only to discover damage, in some cases major damage, that had been repaired but had gone unreported. If you are 6'2" or less with a normal build, this car should fit you just fine. At 6'5" I can drive it but not comfortably. I will say this,the car truly does get the looks, not the driver... at least when I'm at the wheel!

Great looking, great performance, good handling

by Dutiful Husband from Boulder, CO on Tue Nov 29 2011

I bought this car for my wife, although I occasionally get to sneak a drive in. The looks of it are great, with just enough muscle look to not be a complete chick car. I put a Dinan Stage II package on it and it goes very fast (4.5 0-60, 7.2 0-80, even in Colorado). I love it when normally aspirated 500 hp cars are left in the dust because they lose so much hp at altitude. My only handling complaint is too much understeer in aggressive turning. It has great looks with the top (hard-top) up or down, as opposed to most ragtops that look bad with the top up.

Great looking car!

by LMN from SC on Fri Jul 06 2012

I love the 35i Z4. It is truly a head turner. I get questions about the car all the time when out with it. I love the retractable hardtop. The car rides like a nice coupe with the top up and is stunning car with the top down. I like all the goodies but unfortunately BMW packages really jack up the cost of the car. Premium package, sport package and premium sound are a must though. My only complaint is the 296, 19 inch wheels which are prone to cracking. They look great but I shouldn't have to buy the BMW tire and wheel insurance to protect myself against a faulty wheel. Do not get these wheels! Alpine white is the simply the best color on this car. It shows the beautiful lines of the car so very well! I have had no issues with the fuel pump.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

by Z4 Fan from Missouri on Thu Aug 18 2016

We had an older Z3 for many years that we enjoyed but sold it and purchased the Z4. If you are looking for a great car to have fun in and has a cache' of luxury about it, look no further. We have the sDrive 35i and love it. Plenty of power (300 HP) and simply cruises down the road effortlessly. People ask me about it when we have it out all the time --kinda fun. Solid, rattle free, and everything works well. Love the retractable hard top. Limits trunk space when retracted so don't expect to carry a trunk full of luggage if you plan to use it. I am 6'-2" and have no issues with the seating position. Ride is much better than I expected but it is still a sports car...don't expect a soft ride. No problem for everyday use however.

Excellent purchase

by always looking for sports cars from florida on Tue Aug 31 2010

Love the car....great gas mileage.....and a head turner wherever we go...great value! Awesome sound system Don't break the drink holde another one will cost you $50.

The Z4 35si rocks!

by Philly Steve from Philadelphia, PA on Sun Jun 25 2017

Love this car for its styling, power, comfort, heated steering wheel, reliability, size and driving enjoyment. Very sleek well designed machine. The N54 twin turbo engine is an amazing engine. Summer top[ down fun or cold weather warmth with the winter package. I prefer the hard top cabriolet to a soft top.

Fun and Fast!!!!

by JAPROP from Syracuse New York on Sat Jun 17 2017

I have wanted a powerful, fun convertible for a long time and my 60th birthday was the perfect excuse. The Z4 delivers on both. The 6 speed provides the fun and the 255 HP/3.0 liter motor provides the power! It looks great, is comfortable on long drives and looks really cool! I even enjoy washing it!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2009 BMW Z4

News reports suggest affluent car shoppers are putting off new purchases, keeping their current wheels and treading water as they wait for the economy to pick back up. If you're in this group, BMW's redesigned Z4 isn't your most responsible option, but if times were good you'd snap it up in a heartbeat. It's an agile, sharp-looking roadster with decent cabin space and surprisingly livable ride quality for day-to-day use. So be an optimist: The new Z4's timing may be less than ideal, but it's too good a specimen not to consider.

I tested a Z4 sDrive35i. There's also a less powerful Z4 sDrive30i; you can compare both to the 2008 Z4 here. This year's Z4 gets a standard power-retractable hardtop, much... Read More