2000 Chevrolet Astro

Awesome Super Reliable Family Hauler

by from Socal Mountains on April 10, 2011

Bought my Astro van new in 2000 to haul my family of 6 everywhere. We use to jam pack into a 1984 Toyota 4x4 which has 280k miles and has gone everywhere our family has gone, and we still have it. We needed a bigger vehicle to haul us around and after test driving a suberban and the astro van; the astro van had more room and with the seats removed a 7ft bed. I ordered it custom with the full reclining individual seat benches for the 2 rows, which are very comfortable and gave every one of my kids their own seat and storage area when we would go places. The main selling point for the astro van was the room and comfort because of its box shaped design. As far as performance its a minivan, braking is good, but doesn't have much get up and go. It will pull a 5k pound trailer if needed, which is enough to haul simple stuff around or a small boat. The ride quality is very good, absorbs bumps very nicely and is always in control. I've noticed with the rear seats out the rear leafs do ride a bit stiff, but while the seats are in, the ride quality is good in the rear. Add passengers and it gets better. It is quiet inside and overall is comfortable to drive. As far as reliability... by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, and I'm 64 years old. This thing just keeps going, with 250,000 miles on it, still drives great, and still starts up on those cold 20 degree mornings just fine. All I've replaced is; the battery, alternator, 2 fuel pumps and a speed sensor. Thats it! My van has the limited slip which doesn't work as well as they describe, at least for this van anyways. During the winter with snow and ice on the ground even when the limited slip engages it doesn't do much, so this van can get a bit tricky while driving during the winter time. Gas mileage is good, averaging around 20 mpg with loads of city and freeway driving. Overall this vehicle has paid for itself 3 times already and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. My boy says that hes going to bury me with my astro van. They got that right, as long as it keeps going like it has for the past 10 years, it might come true.

The best for the money!

by from MI on January 8, 2010

This car has the best engine GM has ever made. The 8 pass converts to work van fast and it tows my 4 ton boat without any trouble. It's like bus, with panaramic views in any direction! 126,000 miles, all parts original, (ex. brakes, coil & tires). I loved my Astro Van!

Unstoppable

by from on November 23, 2012

We bought our van with 168,000 miles on it. It now has 329,000. Motor and tranny just keep going. We did replace the rear end once, fuel pump and a few other things, but it has been worth the money we paid for it! The Astro before this one had 216,000 on it when we sold it. I LOVE my van! Was going to buy some scrape lumber at a lumber yard and remembered I was driving the car. Really miss my van when I'm not driving it!!!

best for light hauling

by from New York, NY to Richmond, VA on February 25, 2007

We shopped for quite a while to find a vehicle like this. (2000 Astro 4.3l v4 ext cab) Primary criterion: maximum cargo space to city-living-mobility and parkability size ratio. Secondary criterion: affordability; purchase price, gas mileage, reliability/ maintenace cost. This is spectacular so far (about one year owned... bought at 80k miles and 6yrs. It can hold some pretty large panels yet be affordable on longer road trips (a 4x8 sheet lies flat behind front seats and back door with seats removed) and the bumper to bumper length is not much more than our previous small sedan. Its been reliable... the engine is very hardy. But... the front suspension is very poory designed, be prepared to replace all. The interior trim is flimsy... not much concern for us, but.... I've heard complaints about various electrical failures from other like owners (and I can believe them by the experiences that I've had with this age range Chevy vehivcles). We've suffered no major failure yet, but the fuel gague jumps around alot when under 1/4 tank (a sign of fuel pump failure in circa de 2000 chevies), the display does not correctly read to which gear it is ingaged, and several things like power locks and stuttering power windows are showing signs of failure. But... The thing still pulls hard and the trans shows no signs of age. And... Ultimately, there is nothing else (stock) on the road with so much storage capacity relative to its exterior size. And... They don't make them anymore... so, if a few plastic connectors go... or it needs a new trans or engine in a few years. We'll just come up with the cash- no tears.

teacher

by from Cocoa, FL on May 22, 2006

I find this vehicle is a good choice and value for the family that travels or needs to tow a camper or boat. I bought my LS extended version 2 yrs old. There is a reasonable compromise between horse power and fuel economy and lots of room in the extended version for eight passengers and luggage. Plenty of power and torque to pull my camper. Fuel economy averages about 18-21 mpg. Rear air provides alot of conditioned air if needed. Had to replace an alternator, and power lock actuators, but otherwise it has run very well. The full truck frame provides a stiff handling, but suspension is smooth enough to ride like a sedan. Exterior styling is boxy and dull, but nicer rims, privacy glass, and styled body panels spruce it up a bit.

My Van

by from on May 13, 2010

my family's astro is the best vehicle we ever owned and we only had it in the shop four times since we got it. we used it for our our family business and now we use it to tow our boat.

Shopper

by from Isanti,MN on November 24, 2016

I checked out this van. Unless you are a mechanic-stay away-lot of issues! I only drove it around the lot and that was enough!

Similar Models