NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2004 Avalanche

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

4.5

Have You Driven the 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche?

Love this truck - Best one I ever had!

by Lugnut from Cedar Falls, Iowa on Sat Sep 25 2010

I bought this truck used with just at 41000 miles. First thing I likes about it was it does not have that big bulky plastic trim like the early ones. The truck has a lot of nice features that you just don't find in any others, like a removable rear window or you can keep it in and still fold down the rear seat and have a enclosed 8' bed - How nice is that! I've taken several trips with it, and it seems to be the vehicle we choose everytime we go on another trip. It is very comfortable and rides just a nice as any car that I've had. I tow a small trailer sometimes and it tows nice also. Even thought it is a little longer than a Surbaban, it still gets repsectable gas milage. I usually range at about 13-15 in town and 17-18 on the highway, although I've got 20 on the highway a couple of times. The truck has the 5.3 V8 which has proven to me to be a solid choice of engine. I've put about 11000 miles on it over the past 2 years ( mostly on tips as I stated before ) and have only had to replace one O2 sensor, which was covered under my extended warranty. It also has the auto 4WD button which I reallty like. It's works good in snow as opposed to ths 4 high position. Really like this truck, I just wish the state of Iowa registered it as a truck and not a SUV. Plates are expensive at $376 a year and Iowa won't start to drop the plate fee until 2012. Look at one over just a plain crew cab truck, as they have a lot of nice standard features that may be options you pay for on a crew cab truck.

good suv

by sandtim from Antigo, wi on Wed Sep 27 2006

20 mpg highway is pretty good for a full size suv. great suspension, has a better ride than a normal truck.

I LOVE my Avalanche!!

by AvalancheDude from Yucaipa, CA on Mon Aug 21 2006

My '06 Avalanche now has nearly 40k miles, and every mile has been exceptional. It's comfortable, and handy. It'll tow a boat, motorcycles, 5 bicycles, the kids, or a ton of plywood. I've done all of 'em!!! It gets better than expected mileage (I've averaged 17.6mpg since I've had it). I thought the plastic around the entire perimeter looked stupid, so I opted for no plastic. The only problem I have had is the molding around the driver & passenger windows got crimped, resulting in increased wind noise. It was easily replaced under warranty, and has otherwise been trouble-free. I love it, and will definitely consider another when the time comes. BTW: The new '07 model is gorgeous!

LtJudge

by Ltjudge from Wisconsin on Tue Mar 11 2008

I love this truck( Or SUV ) It is very versatile for hauling the family, or hauling sheets of drywall! No problems with using off road as well. The folding rear seat to increase the bed size is awesome! I thought it would be to windy with the back down but that is not the case!

i owned one

by monroelagirl from monroe, louisiana on Thu Oct 13 2011

i owned an avalanche almost exactly like this one and it was my favorite ride i have ever had, i was in a rollover accident with it 2 weeks ago and it saved my life literally, it is a big safe truck. and i dearly miss my "ava". i recommend everone to have an avalanche, i am getting another one asap.!!!!!!

nicest truck and eye appealing

by tex85 from Winter Springs, Fl on Wed Oct 16 2013

so many whistles and bells I still haven't figured everything out yet, holds a lot of gas empty to full is a price shocker lol

Definately the most BANG for your buck

by Avalanche Lover from Roanoke, VA on Sun May 13 2007

I was lucky enough to find an '04 with only 12,532 miles. This is BY FAR the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Great Truck/SUV

by wisdomseeker2 from Williamston, SC on Sun Oct 27 2013

Traded our 99 Ford F-250 ext-cab for this and what a great difference in comfort, mpg,& versatility.

Unique truck, amazing ride, spotty reliability

by JacobA from NJ on Tue Apr 03 2018

I owned this truck for a couple of years but recently had to sell it due to too many repairs. Alternator, window regulator, transfer case and other things made it too expensive to own vs what the truck was worth. But the engine (5.3L LM7) is a gem. Smooth as can be, strong and reliable. It's not the best on gas, but it's also due to only having a 4 speed automatic, the sometimes maligned 4L60 transmission. I had no powertrain issues while I had the car, but as I said the small stuff finally made me get rid of it. Overall, it's a great truck for a used second car to do the dirty work for home improvement projects, to pull a trailer and in snow (unstoppable in any weather). The ride quality is really fantastic. Smooth as can be. For every day driving at this point of being so old, I would advise against it. Parts are not always easy to find like they would be for a comparable Silverado and the fuel economy is pretty bad. I got 15 mpg at best when doing about 50/50 city/highway driving. But I will miss it - it is an amazing truck if you have a little more luck than I did with reliability. Get your mechanic to check it out thoroughly before purchase.

Will miss this car!!

by Gordis from El Paso, TX on Tue Sep 04 2012

I loved this car. Very comfortable on long rides, great power, luxurious!! Will miss it! Just purchased a new Tahoe, and it doesn't have near the power that my Avalanche had, even though they have the same motor. Getting rid of it because it's almost 10 years old and almost 150K miles!!

1 2 3 4