2018 Bolt EV

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV

Have You Driven the 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV?

Very impressed

by Tomsbolt from Cassadaga on Wed May 09 2018

Bolt review As the owner of a new 2018 Chevy Bolt EV , I would like to give my impression of my first 1,000 miles of driving. I absolutely love this car. I am a Tesla model 3 reservation holder and I?m very much into electric vehicles. After doing extensive research I decided to purchase a new Bolt EV. I contacted Shults Chevy Cadillac on Fluvanna ave in Jamestown NY and arranged for a test drive. Their salesperson Andrew McCartney , showed me all of the features of this new electric car. I put a few miles on the tester and got to experience all of its unique features. My two favorite things about this car are the ride comfort and the regenerative braking feature. As a side note the regenerative braking on the Chevy Bolt is far better than on the Tesla model 3 . I ended up purchasing my new Bolt at an out of state dealership due to the fact that I wanted an Orange Burst Metallic Bolt LT with DC fast charging capabilities. Being a new vehicle, this option and color was not available in my area. And a dealer swap could not be completed, it makes sense too. What dealer wants to spend money to send their new car to another dealership so that other dealership can make a sale. I found my exact car in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I worked out the deal and made my purchase. I flew to Washington DC where the salesman Aris Kyriakopoulos picked me up at the airport and brought me to Criswell Chevrolet. I had previously plotted my route back to Cassadaga , NY by following one of the many phone apps that show charging stations all over the country. I focused on DC fast charging stations because they recharge 4 times faster than a level 2 charging station. The idea of driving an electric vehicle at first gave me the range anxiety that is normal driving a battery. My first stop at a mall complex that had two EVgo DC fast chargers available turned out to be a bust since both chargers were out of order. I had been driving at 55 mph and used regenerative braking and remarkably I had used very little battery power that was not regenerated back into the battery. I decided to press on and go all the way to Pittsburgh PA for my next stop. I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before so I changed my plans and decided to get a room at a holiday inn near Pittsburgh. According to my phone app, they had a free electric vehicle charging station at the hotel. I got a room and plugged in my Bolt . The next morning my car was fully charged and waiting for me. I drove for some time taking a wrong exit off the expressway which added 25 miles to my journey. I checked my phone app and found that in Western Pennsylvania, the Dunkin? Donuts franchises have EVgo DC fast chargers. ( EVgo has an app and you register your car and connect your bank card to the account. EVgo will send you a credit card that you swipe at the charging station and you pay for your charging at reduced rates and the cost is taken right out of your bank source. There are many other charging locations that offer free charging also.). So I stopped at a Dunkin? Donuts and plugged my Bolt in even though I didn?t have too. I enjoyed a coffee and multi grain bagel toasted with butter. I purchased a second cup of coffee for the road. I went to my car and it had already completed charging to a full charge. I was on my way again. Since this was my first trip in a Bolt , I continued to drive at 55 mph even though the speed limit is 70 mph in PA. I figured it would use a lot less energy to drive at the safer speed. I completed my trip back home and still had 150 miles of range left in my battery. I was amazed and my range anxiety has disappeared completely. I don?t know whoever decided to advertise the range of a new Bolt as being 238 miles per charge. In real world traveling conditions I have consistently gotten 300 - 325 miles per charge by utilizing that wonderful regenerative braking on the Bolt EV. I knew I would need a home charger for my car so I researched the many chargers available and decided on the juicebox Pro 40 amp charger which I purchased from amazon. I know a bit about electric panels so with the help of some YouTube videos I educated myself on conduit bending and purchased a bender and supplies from Home Depot. I installed the juicebox Pro 40 in my garage and with the help of my wife , we pulled the wires to my basement . I now use my bolt as my primary vehicle. The bolt is no Toyota Prius nor like any other hybrid vehicle. It has 266 lb feet of torque available instantly. It will go 0 - 60 in just about 6 seconds. Very impressive to feel it take off like a missile. With the battery being so low in the car chassis the bolt is very nimble on its feet . Quite fun to drive like a sports car. Plenty of interior room and some people don?t like plastics in a car. They think it makes them look cheap. I happen to like the appearance of the bolt interior plastics and the fact that they are resilient and easy to clean. The heated seats are fantastic and once you understand how the heating and AC system works this car is amazing. The only thing I wish the Bolt came standard with is adaptive cruise control and front collision avoidance.. Like I previously mentioned, I am into electric vehicles. Two years ago I installed solar panels to provide my home with solar power. My system over generated by 6 million watts this past year so by installing my home EV charger I will be driving for free. I simply pug in my Bolt when I?m at home and it automatically charges and is always ready with a full charge every day. I have no fear of taking it anywhere. I have noted that my range drops in below freezing weather, primarily due to increased need for heating the interior to a very comfortable condition. And the physics involved in batteries becoming colder. On very cold days , I limit my trips to 100 miles one way allowing plenty of juice to get back home. I love the fact that my new Bolt EV eliminates many of the headaches involved in owning a gas or diesel vehicle. There is no gas required, no oil & filter changes, no timing belts or fan belts to break , no transmission to need service, no exhaust system to rust out and need repair, no radiator hoses or leaks, no carburetor or catalytic converters to worry about. After putting 1,000 miles on my new Bolt I see that purchasing this car was the best decision I?ve made in a long time as far as new vehicles go. I would highly recommend the Chevy Bolt to anyone looking to ride the leading edge of the future of automobiles. When General Motors partnered with South Korea to build the Chevy Bolt from the ground up as an electric vehicle, they did a wonderful job designing this car. It is a well made well built quality vehicle. Having purchased this new Bolt EV , I?m contemplating canceling my Tesla reservation and purchasing a second Chevy Bolt instead. I will see if they add front collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control as standard equipment. Then my decision will get very easy. If anyone is interested in a new Bolt and would like some real world questions answered , something that you may feel will be slanted by a dealership salesperson, feel free to email me because I?m not connected with any dealership and get nothing from a new sale. I?m a normal customer just like you . The only difference is I?ve been racking up the miles and loving every one of them .

My first all electric car!

by WhiskeyJim from Richland, WA on Thu Mar 15 2018

I am really pleased with my new Chevy Bolt. I was a General Motors fan years ago, but drifted away to Honda, Toyota, and Subaru. All vehicles are a comprise and the Bolt is no exception. Acceleration from a dead stop is very good (my last car was a 2008 Acura TL Type S). After purchasing at the dealer, I started a 211 mile trip with the car estimate of a 220 miles range based on the battery charge (full battery is 250 miles). The range seems to be based on a speed of 55 - 60 mph. I drove 70+ mph and had to cross two mountain passes. I stopped about halfway and added 30 miles in a little over an hour at a public charge station (cost $1.50). The cars handles nice on the highway and has plenty of power to drive in heavy traffic and in the mountains. I love the way it drives around town. The interior is nice, but the center console seems a little high, cup holders, and other items seem less than perfect (I gave it a 4 out 5). Exterior is typical small hatchback, nothing to exciting. Next required service is in 149,300 miles!

Good value full electric vehicle

by SSawyer from Huntington Beach, CA on Sun Jul 29 2018

The Bolt is quick, quiet, reasonably comfortable with nice tight steering and suspension. Great electronic info system. Does require purchase of $630 home charging station to fully charge in 9 hours. Definitely recommend.

New car, so the vote is still out, but...

by Tom E. from Torrance, CA on Tue Apr 10 2018

...So far, so good! The Bolt is fast. No, I mean fast!! It's got a great range (nearly 250 miles per charge), a sporty look, lots of headroom, and tons of "infotainment" options on the touchscreen on the dash. I've been in a Tesla 3 as well (the Bolt's main competitor) and I strongly preferred the Bolt. It "feels" more like a car. It has a dashboard, window and door controls, knobs for air conditioning, etc. The Tesla just has a single screen. EVERYTHING gets done from the screen. It just felt weird to me. The Bolt gets great range (250+), but doesn't have Tesla's long-promised self-driving feature. On the other hand, the "fully loaded" Bolt is about $42k, while the fully loaded Tesla is $52K+.

EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS

by Followet from Niland CA on Thu Aug 23 2018

They said I would get 238 miles to a charge. It looks like my car would do more than that with out breaking a sweat. I drove it to my daughters house 94 miles one way and when I returned home I had driven 211 miles and I still had a maximum range of 71 miles. It does take a long time on the level 1 charger to charge I have a level 2 that is going in as soon as the temperature drops down. I am charging the car totally on solar right now. I spent $5000 for the solar system. When not charging the car it runs all my 220 load except at night. I have for 12volt batteries that don't hold much power so when it turns to dark or cloudy I switch the 220 load to the grid. When it is sun my air conditioner water heater and stove can all run off the solar panels

Does not recommend this car!!

Surprised and Impressed

by John from Fort Worth, Texas on Sun Aug 26 2018

In the span of a week, I test-drove a Tesla Model 3, a Chevy Volt and. Chevy Bolt EV. Not surprisingly, the Model 3 blew me away. The Volt was nice but somewhat compromised, and seemed out of its league in this group. The Bolt EV was the big shock ? I actually preferred it to the Model 3. The Bolt?s airy interior ambience, panoramic driver views and silent-but-powerful operation are impressive. I was ready to be underwhelmed but came away with a very high opinion of the Bolt. With its frumpy styling, the Bolt is hopelessly behind the Model 3 in terms of panache and coolness. And while the 3?s minimalist dashboard is totally Zen, I found the every-control-on-the-central-screen design to be distracting and needlessly complicated. The Bolt?s controls are user-friendly, and the displays are beautifully clear and crisp. The 3 is very quick, but the Bolt seems nearly as fast, and to my ear the Bolt is quieter at speed. It?s extremely quiet. I personally prefer the versatility of a hatchback to a trunk, so chalk up another point for the Bolt. The front seats in the Bolt and rear seats in the 3 have drawn criticism, but I found both to be comfortable (I?m 6?1, 185 lbs.). I wish GM would let the Bolt stylists run free ? it?s such generic looking little car. Apart from that, it?s a winner.

Great value for money - best priced EV so far

by EVfanactic from Irvine, CA on Mon Sep 17 2018

Perfectly priced EV - meets needs of daily work commute and also weekend travels with no charging worries. It has all the necessary bells and whistles like Apple Air play, bluetooh, cameras, great cargo space! Need i say more?

almost there

by dkpurple from Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania on Thu Apr 19 2018

I, probably, will purchase this car. The range is good, but it could be better. What is necessary, is faster home charging - zero to full in one hour. A gas car can go from empty to full in ten minutes. Waiting 9 hours is a bit much. The interior can be quieter. There is a lot of wind noise. There is also a lot of tire noise. A quiet interior is what I want from an EV. The Bolt needs to be hushed-up. Then there is the seats. They are not comfortable. A car costing 40K should have navagation. The hard plastic interior scratches much too easily.

I love passing gas stations

by JP from Austin on Tue Jan 09 2018

The majority of my driving occurs in town. Commuting to work, running errands, going to a local restaurant - not much chance to hit the open road. I really enjoy the torque from the Bolt's electric motor - not many cars can keep up with it off the line. The Bolt handles great due to its low center of gravity. I typically put 40 to 50 miles on the car per day. With overnight recharge with a standard 110V cable I never worry about hitting the 250 mile limit. If you have a regular IC engined car to handle longer trips I can't say enough good things about the Bolt fulfilling your in-town needs.

Agile but, drives like a heavier car.

by Walter from Chicago, IL on Sat Nov 25 2017

Easy to drive. All necessary info is on two screens and easy to read. Surprisingly drives like a heavier auto.

1 2

Our Take on the 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV

The verdict:

A model that could get by on its long range and relatively low price alone, the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV also happens to be an excellent car.

Versus the competition:

The Bolt EV more than makes up for its higher price by having roughly twice the range of most competitors.

As I expressed in our First Drive of the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV, much of this battery-electric hatchback's appeal is evident in the numbers: 238 miles of EPA-estimated range, 9.5 hours to charge fully at 240 volts and a starting price of $37,495. (All prices cited include destination charges but not incentives, which should include a $7,500 federal tax credit.)

We like to round out our reviews with comparisons, but at this moment, close competitors are few. As we publish, Tesla has begun building the Bolt EV's closest competitor, the Model 3, with a claimed 215-mile range (with the standard battery) and a price of $35,000 before incentives, but we haven't driven one yet; our only exposure has been... Read More