1997 Camaro

1997 Chevrolet Camaro

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have You Driven the 1997 Chevrolet Camaro?

great car

by 97camaro from oxnard,CA on Mon Feb 11 2008

I own a 1997 30th anniversery v-6 camaro. It is a 5-speed with the original clutch. this car is now 11 year olds and has had no major problems. As stated before it has the original clutch and no transmission work has been done. This was and still is my first car. I must be honest i do not take it easy on this car, but it is very forgiving and i have never had any major problems. The only problems i can think of are minor electrical problems, but once again this is a 11yr old car so small problems are expected. This car is also noisy inside, many small parts squeak and rattle, and thus f-bodies (4th gen camaros and firebirds) are often refered to as "rattle boxes". However i dont mind the rattling. It reminds me that this is an american muscle car with a very suprising amount of power for a V6...this car also handles suprisingly well. i am always amazed at how sure-footed it feels in the corners despite its"i only go straight" look...I have few modifications (SLP cold air intake,Dynomax dual exhaust,and Pacesetter headers) even with just these few modifications the car feels much stronger. I live in a small town on the coast of southern California in which there is nothing to do...consequently there is a lot of kids running around in civics with an intake and a park bench GT wing. So it is nice to pull up next to one of them even in my v6 and show them wat RWD can do...i love my car...i have had it for a long time and am currently saving up for a new car..but this is a great car..i have had 0 engine problems in the entire 11 years it has been in my family.

My Baby

by BigTed from Chicago on Mon Jan 07 2013

I bought my SS a little over 5 years ago from the original owner with 9k miles. I just hit 12k this summer. I LOVE MY CAR. Living in Chicago sucks with all the stop and go trafic, but unless something special pulls up on the side of me, he/she has no chance on a stop sign or red light. Invest in high performance tires, a little extra performance parts under the hood and love the car. AND IT WILL LOVE YOU BACK. (Only flaws, gas mileage&Im 6'5 330 so comfort)

good deal on a great car.

by kutoff white arm jack from California on Fri Jun 15 2007

I just bought a 1997 camaro with 98,000 miles, no dents great interior for 3,000. Handles kind of heavy but has more than enough power to push the car. more than comfortable inside as soon as you get used to the low body. It has a lot of kick in its step. really like this car its a good choice if your looking to buy the new 2008.

Greatest Car Ever

by Master Z from Connecticut on Sat Jan 17 2009

The Camaro is the greatest representation of affordable Detroit muscle ever built. The 350 V8 obviously packs great power and torque with good mileage as well. On the highway I can get 20-25 mpg with my Z28. If you are looking for an affordable car that delivers great power and torque, the Camaro is definitely the car for you. I would take an American muscle car any day over an import. Their 4 cylinders can't replace the torque from the missing displacement. IT'S GOOD TO REV BUT IT'S BETTER TO MOVE.

Fun to drive!

by Okie from on Fri Mar 17 2017

These keep going up in value, great car and well below book and Hagerty values. Awesome LT1 engine with a 6 speed makes this a fun car to drive. Convertible ready for the summer.

A classic sports car with solid performance

by phantomknight321 from Rosharon, TX on Wed Jul 12 2017

If you are considering a 90's model Camaro, I will give you 3 pieces of advice: 1. Get a V8. The V6 models such as the one I owned are ok, but the V8 is not much more expensive and immensely more rewarding. 2. Get one with T-Tops. Absolutely the best feature in any sports car, and something sorely missing from modern sports cars. 3. Be aware of hit and miss reliability and interior ergonomics. But you would already figure that with a low swept 90s sports car, right? The 4th gen F-Body Camaro is a significantly less practical car when compared to the Mustang of that generation, but they filled a different niche at the time. Overall, not much else to say.

Sleek sports car

by Camaro owner on Wed Jul 05 2017

Sleek nice style coupe Love the sound of the lad Kinda of a gas guzzler even for. A V6 No power windows

My Valentines Gift

by Princess from Troy,N.C on Wed Feb 05 2014

My husband bought me a 1997 Z-28 Camaro Convertible. It only has 14,53 miles on it. It been owned my 2 car dealers from the time it came off the line. Always been in a garage I'm the first private owner of the car. I just love my dream car. It rides and handles like a dream. I may of had to wait until I was in my 50's to have one but the wait was worth it. I can say to much of how much I love it and I feel like I just got a new car off the showroom. When I looked at it for the first time it was in Friendly Chev. Showroom in Troy, N.C. Can wait to it warms up enough so I can put the top down and drive it down the road. Like a Myrtle Beach.

Awesome Car.

by The Z28 Guy from Joliet, IL on Wed Nov 25 2009

I've owned my camaro for five years now and I will never sell it. The 350 V8 5.7 is simply a beast. The LT1 is a torque monster. The LS1's may have more top end, but I perfer the LT1's because they are generally faster off the start. Every thing about this car is amazing. Don't expect it to be good on gas, don't even think about driving it in the snow unless you have to, and don't expect repairs to be cheap. With the 5.7 crammed in such a small area this car will be more expensive than average to maintain. I have had only minor problems with my camaro which are completley understandable being a 1997. I have needed to replace the waterpump, optispark and starter which was no big deal at all. My Z28 is at 75,000 miles and still runs very strong. If you buy a V8 Camaro, GM highly recommends premium gas and full synthetic oil for the V8 engine models. The only thing you really have to keep an eye on with the 1997 Z28 is that the gas gauge level is not always correct. It has no gas warning light so you really have to watch the gauge. It may say you have more or less gas than you accually have so you should refuel once it reaches 1/4th tank. I've ran out of gas five times letting it go past the 1/8th tank. This car is awesome, got to love the power of the 5.7 and the torque of the LT1. Got it up to 137 once, and it still could have gone faster- I just got scared. I recently put on a Cold Air Intake (watch for puddles), Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, Off Road Y-Pipe, and Exhaust. I then switched to K&N Performance Gold oil filter and Castrol EDGE Oil. Lets just say it made a huge difference. It runs way smoother, much stronger and more responsive and faster off the start. After I put on the bolt ons and switched oil it went from 288 HP to 318 on the dyno. If you can get a well maintained LT1 with not a ton of miles on it, you will not regret it.

ss3961966

by ss3961966 from West Memphis Arkansas on Thu Jul 12 2007

I purchased the car as an investment.Drove it on the Hot Rod Power Tour. Averaged 24 MPG on the 2600 mile trip.It's a blast to drive.and gets plenty of stares with the orange stripes and Brickyard 400 Decals.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 1997 Chevrolet Camaro

I was about to leave on a two-hour drive and was trying to decide what music to take along.

After all, the car I was driving was Chevrolet's brawny Camaro Z28 convertible. That meant the Sex Pistols' "Never Mind The Bullocks..." The album, which I first bought in junior high, was appropriately anti-social and loud, two adjectives that accurately describe this car.

The Camaro has been around almost as long as I've been alive, and is now approaching its 30th year. So Chevy is offering up its 30th Anniversary Package: an all-white car, down to the door handles and wheel covers. Onto it, Chevy pastes "Hugger" orange stripes straight from the '69 Camaro Z28. Inside, cloth houndstooth seats remind you... Read More