1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

Not a bad car

by from St. Louis, Mo on January 13, 2007

I have a 96' cavalier that I purchased and I think it runs just fine. If you are looking for a sportier cavalier though, buy the z- 24. The cavalier base and Ls have the SOHC setup witch makes it a little slow vs. the DOHC of the z- 24. I've never had problems with the car and have owned it for a few years.

best little car i ever had

by from Dallas, Texas on March 8, 2007

my car was the best gift i ever recieved. i have been able to save sooo much money on gas n stuff that i have enough money to buy a new cell phone for talking to my girls!!! plus its super cute!!!

Great first car!

by from Ocean City MD on December 12, 2008

I bought a 96 cavalier 6 years ago when I was 16 as my first car. It had 80k miles when I purchased it... and now it has 220k miles...and although its been through a a lot shes still going strong! Im going to miss my little car when I buy a new one. Altough this car is not the cutest on the market...Ive had a great experince and its a great value!!!

Like the grandmother Chevy bel Air

by from medwest , IL on September 27, 2010

I bought my cavalier since 2004 , it is very dependable car , and I get 32 mpg in highway and 27 in the city, I did some basic maintenance, don?t blame GM for head gasket leaking, blame the company made that gasket, I used ( head gasket fix) and the brand is ( BAR?S LEAKS) just for 30 bucks instead of mechanic repair !!! And 2 years ago I replaced the alternator, not big deal, the future for this car will be like the Chevy 1955 bel air !!! For me it is real decathlon!!

Great Car

by from Millen, Ga on January 28, 2010

I have had this car for 13 years and bought it used. KNOCK ON WOOD! I've never had a problem. It has like 180,000 miles on it and I still drive it. The only fault I have with the car is the cloth seats didn't hold up but after 13 years of getting in and out they were bound to show wear and tear. This car has been more reliable than most of the people in my life. I love my car!

Buy At Your Own Risk

by from Quad Cities, IL. on January 24, 2014

A little disappointed with the sellers knowledge on vehicle. It seems like they pretty much just take them in. Price them and turn them.

It does what it is meant to do.

by from Chicago, Il on November 7, 2007

I've owned two of these cars, my current one I bought used three years ago. Its a basic car with the 3 speed automatic transmission. The car can take a beating and handle it. Besides normal wear and tear I've had only two parts go, the Clutch on the AC (both cars had it happen at the same time in their life) and the fuel pump recently stopped working. With the car being 11 years old I am happy that the car made it that long and I continue to drive it. I usually put 40 highway miles on it to and from work. Within the next day or so the car should reach 100k miles. Here's to another 100k!

What a worthless piece of junk

by from Kentucky on August 1, 2008

My daughter bought this car and had it for 3 months before the nighmares began. It had to have new strutts, muffler, transmission, head gasket, and numerous other expensive mechanical things. One headache after another. It's been in the shop more than in our driveway. She picks it up from the shop today after yet another breakdown. She will be putting it straight in the paper to dump it before something else blows up on it.

UGH!

by from Putnam valley, NY on February 20, 2009

Okay, i got this car from my dad last spring, and ever since i have been spending money on it. My dad had spent over 3,000 bucks while he had it (he bought it brand new in 96) in repairs. I have spent almost 2 grand since ive had it. the slave cylinder broke, so my clutch is soaked and needs to be replaced. my brakes go out every 2 months. I have to fill up the clutch fluid every morning before i start the car and the transmission slips when i put it into 3rd 4th and/or 5th gear. It's nothing but problems and i just cant wait until it dies! Im going to go buy a dodge and it will be sooo much better than this.

The worst car

by from miller place,ny on November 18, 2006

I drove 20 miles after i bought the car and it blew up on the way home! This guy told me that this car ran excellent. He lied to me. He wouldent give me money back.

Our Expert Review: 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier